Best way to get coins unstuck

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Best way to get coins unstuck

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:44 pm

I was going through the junk bin at a local coin shop today and found 3 coins that were stuck together that were thrown in the junk box. The middle one definitely looks silver from the edge. However, I cannot see any details and the other 2 coins are stuck so tight that I cannot get it loose.

What is the easiest way to get them unstuck without doing any damage? My mom says to soak them in vinegar.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Best way to get coins unstuck

Postby Mossy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:42 pm

No one has answered for nearly two hours, so I'll throw my opinion in.

Vinegar is too acidic. I'd start with warm/hot water, and stumble around from there. Alcohol, acetone, paint thinner, etc.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Hot water, let em soak. Unless they are super glued together, this should do the trick.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Delawhere Jack » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:32 pm

And acetone will dissolve superglue. Nail polish remover should do the trick.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:47 pm

man...get the good stuff 3M brand brake cleaner...it dissolves everything including the fat in your fingers so wear gloves if you have skinny fingers....
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:47 pm

you could also try freezing them then running under very hot water, the rapid change in temperature should make the metal expand.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:55 am

Speaking of cold, this one is a bit risky. Bundle the coins in a wadded up paper towel and put on a styrofoam plate or in the bottom half inch of a polysteryn cup. Put on some heavy, rubber gloves. Turn a butane cig lighter refill cylinder (or "greengas" soft pel canister) upsidedown and press against the coin to release the gas. Wait about a minute and drop the coins on something hard, like a cement floor. Most glues become very brittle when frozen like that and should shatter. Let the coins warm to room temperature before picking them up.

You could use a CO2 cylinder instead, but I'm not going to try it. Too dangerous, and the cylinders cost too much.

I don't think it's worth buying anything to do this. The coin in the middle is probably a Canadian or some other "fake silver", and, even if it is, what would it be worth? Go with the hot water first.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals