What should I do?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What should I do?

Postby Luoganta » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:22 pm

I found a hellofa deal for some coins on the internet and placed an order, everything went normally - order accepted - money taken out of my account - BUT THEN. I get an email from company telling me they can not sell me the coins due to the prices on the website being out of date, refund the money, and changed the price of the coins. No biggy - I was going to flip them anyway so part of me felt kinda bad for even trying. But after a little more looking around the price of a few of the coins they changed I can still make a buck on, so I go back in and place an order. Same thing happens, took the money out of the account wait a few hours and put it back - same email saying almost the exact same thing.....This is kinda fishy.

In my mind I remember my mother throwing a fit over a waffle iron incorrectly marked on sale at a store and they ended up getting the sale price. Does this apply to the internet? Is a vendor bound to the prices displayed on their website?

Thinking about going after the profit I could have made by flipping the coins but part of me is thinking I have don't have anything solid to stand on and put up a fight.
Luoganta
Penny Sorter Member

Re: What should I do?

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Depends on the website. Most of them have disclaimers about price changes. Very fishy that they updated the prices and than did the same thing!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Luoganta wrote:Same thing happens, took the money out of the account wait a few hours and put it back - same email saying almost the exact same thing.....This is kinda fishy.
I think I'd like to know "who". I think you want to pay close attention to your account in case of "mystery" charges.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Bad business practice. Don't ever deal with them again and let others know to stay away from them. Yea and like mossy says, pay attention to your credit card statements.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:48 pm

I'd get in contact with the Better Business Bureau. I don't think they'd be able to force the website to sell you the coins, but they can at least warn others of their fishy business.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Luoganta » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks for the input - didn't think of going to the BBB but it is now pretty much number 1 on my to do list tomorrow.

For those that are asking (my partner may or may not shoot me in the face for this.) the website that is being so shady is https://www.kennedymint.net/
Luoganta
Penny Sorter Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm

The Kennedy Mint got a lot of coverage on this site a few weeks ago. I called them to buy some of their halves which were at a good price. They told me they are going out of business and only had limited supplies, and, oh, by the way, the price is higher. I wouldn't buy a $20 bill for $10 from them. Let everyone within the sound of my voice throughout all the land of Oz beware. The wicked ol' witch works at Kennedy Mint.

Now can you explain why your partner is going to shoot you?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Luoganta » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:38 pm

we had a mind to take a few dollars and snatch up the lower prices on that site and flip them for a few bucks profit. What we thought might happen is folks with deeper pockets would get wind of it and get to the stock b4 we could.

nothing sinister, just looking out for number 1 ;)

However, now it pretty much looks like we're going to take our business else where and cause that site as much grief as we can along the way. :twisted:
Luoganta
Penny Sorter Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Corsair wrote:I'd get in contact with the Better Business Bureau. I don't think they'd be able to force the website to sell you the coins, but they can at least warn others of their fishy business.

The Better Business Bureau has zero power. And is irrelevant. Don't bother them. Let them stop existing.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby barrytrot » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Luoganta wrote:Thanks for the input - didn't think of going to the BBB but it is now pretty much number 1 on my to do list tomorrow.

For those that are asking (my partner may or may not shoot me in the face for this.) the website that is being so shady is https://www.kennedymint.net/

At least 20 members made orders on their site about a month ago. It was quite exhilarating until they were all canceled :)
barrytrot

Postby Mossy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:22 pm

barrytrot wrote:The Better Business Bureau has zero power. And is irrelevant. Don't bother them. Let them stop existing.
Information is power. I've started using them to pre-screen while doing "due diligence".
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:06 pm

Mossy wrote:
barrytrot wrote:The Better Business Bureau has zero power. And is irrelevant. Don't bother them. Let them stop existing.
Information is power. I've started using them to pre-screen while doing "due diligence".

In that case you are pre-screening out VERY good businesses.

Only brick and mortar businesses will show up on the BBB. And even then only part of those.

I searched for:

Market Harmony: No record
Portland Mint: No record

I could list 50 more GREAT businesses off the top of my head that have no BBB presence.

The BBB is pointless now. You will get better information searching the internet for related sites about the type of business in question.
barrytrot

Postby Mossy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:14 pm

barrytrot wrote: In that case you are pre-screening out VERY good businesses.
The BBB is pointless now. You will get better information searching the internet for related sites about the type of business in question.

I don't assume a lack of listing is bad, just that they don't have a listing for some reason (like "No one has complained"?) Nor do I use /only/ the BBB. It's part of the process. (I see. My post makes it sound like it is the only thing I use. Nope. Just one of the first stops.)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:15 pm

BBB is worthless and can be bought. their endorsement is meaningless.

if you want action, most states have a consumer affairs regulator, sometimes in the office of the governor. but don't hold your breath.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Beau » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:23 pm

the Kennedy Mint is the biggest scumbag I ever had any dealing with.

stay away from him, he has no coins and just a website, a phone and an address,

when you buy from him he goes out and buys the coins you want and sends them to

you, if you are lucky. no returns if you are not satisfied.

that is if you pay his updated prices, which are always higher that you see on his

web site.

he has advertisements to buy coins at prices listed, but try to collect.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals