Junk Silver... Jackson Metals Style

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Junk Silver... Jackson Metals Style

Postby mortarman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:44 pm

New to the forum, and recently back in the states after my second deployment to Iraqistan with the Army. I'm getting out the service in a few months and am attempting to make a go at a Jackson Metals style commercial silver operation. Guess I'm trying to get a better idea of whether this is even feasible. Got a wife and son on the way, so I figure I'd only have to find 7 dollars face/day to have comparable cash flow to my current income.

Wondering if commercial equipment even exists for silver separation, much like ryedale has done for coppers. Secondly, if anyone has sorted out the logistics of ordering coins direct from the Fed without being a depositing institution, see: http://www.frbservices.org/operations/c ... iting.html.

Honestly, the prospect of getting out of the service these days scares the hell out of me with everything headed the way it is, but then again, after tomorrow, I'll be working without pay indefinitely until our congress critters sort out a FY11 budget. Losing faith in the system and hoping yall can give me a bit of direction. Thanks and God bless.
mortarman

Re: Junk Silver... Jackson Metals Style

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:05 pm

mortarman,
Thanks for your service and welcome to the forum. I'm too new to be able to answer your questions, but I know there are many here who can help you.

Best,
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Welcome, and thank you for your service to the country!

Some of the others that have greater volume experience might be able to shed some light on your questions...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Welcome,

Take heed all. Here's a guy who is leaving the Army and after serving 2 tours in combat zones, it's getting out and trying to function in the economy that scares the hell out of him.
Maybe the S has HTF.

Don't worry mortarman, you'll be just fine, after a little readjustment time.

Good luck with your plan.
Last edited by Thogey on Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby twentybux » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:19 pm

I too echo the thank you's you have already received. We are blessed to have such a noble individual as yourself in our ranks. God Bless you. Welcome to the forum. If you want answers, you came to the right place. The wealth of knowledge here is unbelievable. Soak it up like a sponge.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Yes, there is commerical equipment available to sort silver. You are going to be able to do this on a national scale? HIGHLY doubtfull. Are you going to be able to get enough coin at a local level to justify a $10k+ machine? Also doubtfull.

Are you going to be able to order straight from the fed? I don't think you can. The fed is pretty set in their ways. I think they won't even deal with you unless you are a bank or credit union.

Your best bet is to get your bank to order for you. However, you are going to A: have to find a bank that is willing to do this and B: Find a bank that won't charge you an arm and a leg for your service. Even if you get all this figured out you still have the task of depositing the coin once you are done sorting it.

Also note that Jackson Metals was NOT ordering from the fed or a bank. They had a special supplier lined up. They however burnt that bridge so that supplier no longer wants to deal with non financial institutions.

Also welcome to the forum!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby mortarman » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:14 am

I appreciate the kind words and thank you all for your appreciation. I got to thinking about it last night, and I've still got a long way to go to raise enough working capitol to get enough coins from the banks IOT justify the purchase of high dollar equipment. Though, a roll cracker, and a roller would go a long way to increasing my efficiency. Can anyone recommend any?

We've all got to face the reality that with silver breaking $40, a lot more folks are going to be tracking on this. Just hope I can hoard enough away before things completely let go.
mortarman

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:13 am

Thank you and your family for your sacrifice for this country.

You will need to consider all your expenses in the calculations. There was one person who went to Canada and removed a large portion of the nickel nickles and boxed them and shipped them to the US. He had a Brinks truck delivery once a week to a warehouse and then paid for a rolling service to return the coins to the banks. It was a 2 man operation. His realcent name was MaDeuce. He constructed a large table that he laid the rolls out and then took a knife to the edge of the rolls to open them (saved on a rollcracker). He had a forklift, coin discriminator (ryedale), coin counters. He ran it for about 4 months until he ran into supply problems, only getting new coins, and the price of nickel dropped. He offered all his equipment here. He made several hundred thousand from his operation. His posts may still be available on this site if you search for his name. You might be able to learn something from what he did. If you don't find the posts then you might be able to get help finding them from an admin. I actually have some of the pictures he posted from his operation saved on my computer.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:58 am

Tourney64 wrote:Thank you and your family for your sacrifice for this country.

You will need to consider all your expenses in the calculations. There was one person who went to Canada and removed a large portion of the nickel nickles and boxed them and shipped them to the US. He had a Brinks truck delivery once a week to a warehouse and then paid for a rolling service to return the coins to the banks. It was a 2 man operation. His realcent name was MaDeuce. He constructed a large table that he laid the rolls out and then took a knife to the edge of the rolls to open them (saved on a rollcracker). He had a forklift, coin discriminator (ryedale), coin counters. He ran it for about 4 months until he ran into supply problems, only getting new coins, and the price of nickel dropped. He offered all his equipment here. He made several hundred thousand from his operation. His posts may still be available on this site if you search for his name. You might be able to learn something from what he did. If you don't find the posts then you might be able to get help finding them from an admin. I actually have some of the pictures he posted from his operation saved on my computer.

MaDuece had an industrial sorter he was useing once he started doing a decent volume in Canada.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:08 am

Sorry I wasn't clear, I should have put i.e. Ryedale. He did also have a Ryedale.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals