Who Would Sell Gold or Silver Now?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Who Would Sell Gold or Silver Now?

Postby Country » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:19 pm

2011 will be the last year in which it is still relatively easy to find and purchase gold/silver bullion and that those who have not yet begun to do so consider making this move immediately.

http://www.kitco.com/ind/Berwick/apr072011.html
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: Who Would Sell Gold or Silver Now?

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:23 pm

-
Last edited by Corsair on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:30 pm

I guess those who don't have enough SILVER, should buy it THIS YEAR - maybe right now....

The real point of the article that was interesting is that those who have their PMs, would be very reluctant to sell to those folks who want more or don't have it in 2012 onwards. Why are you selling your PMs anyway?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:50 pm

Country wrote:I guess those who don't have enough SILVER, should buy it THIS YEAR - maybe right now....

The real point of the article that was interesting is that those who have their PMs, would be very reluctant to sell to those folks who want more or don't have it in 2012 onwards. Why are you selling your PMs anyway?

This is the same issue I have been trying to convince fellow members of each time they think about taking a quick profit. The same thread gets bandied about every so often. Will you sell at 13X face? 14X face? $20? $30? I'm sure we will see some selling at $50, as it is a psychological milestone and a temporary pullback might be in order at that point. But anyone with any sense should be able to discern that a widespread, severe silver shortage is approaching, and scarcity will soon develop of listings from the fewer and fewer people willing to sell. It is a self-reinforcing loop, so that as the price rises those on the verge of selling begin to think "if I wait, maybe I can ask for a few dollars more." And as those few retract their listings, the bidding only grows fiercer over remaining lots.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby whatsnext » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Well if everything works out I'll be getting a 10oz bar in a week or so :)

I was thinking of posting this very tread asking the same question. It is weird to see all these lovely things being posted. I havent bought anything this year so I feel I can go out on a limb and not worry at all.

EDIT
OK so now that I think about it a few people are sounding the overbought trumpet. I myself have been in the overbought mode since $25. Well it keeps going from my original view that 32 was a hard door to push through and 35 was the years end mark. Sure it is possible to fall and overbought it might be but how far can it fall? I will buy more when it does and I know there are people joining this forum who are wanting in but are shy about jumping in right now.

One thing is for sure the uncretainty of 2008/2009/2010 is still here and it is not being corrected. So pullback or not there is probaby a little more room for growth.

Hell the offical solution is to pump the housing market back to the levels it fell from. That means they want people flipping houses and a bubble again. They will blow a bubble somehow someday it is all they can do.

To the sellers I hope you get twice as much as you had or got something awesome for your patience and good investing
Last edited by whatsnext on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Always buying......always selling.......and always holding a core.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:13 pm

I'm with Rodebaugh, buy, sell, trade up! I have been at least doubling my money, with stuff I have been selling lately, but I am still buying if the price and product is right. Like a couple Englehards I just bought right here on realcent! Can't wait to get em!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Heartkill » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:14 pm

The only things I've been selling lately are deals that I pick up at estate auctions. I sell for under spot, take my profits, and re-invest the money in more to resell. Rinse and repeat. I usually end up adding to my own stash with the profits anyways.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby Country » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:50 pm

What you gonna do when nobody will sell to you? Perhaps soon, the SILVER you've sold is SILVER that you will be unable to get back at any fiat price.
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:07 pm

Country wrote:What you gonna do when nobody will sell to you? Perhaps soon, the SILVER you've sold is SILVER that you will be unable to get back at any fiat price.

Thats what the core is for ;)

Never more than 10-20% in liquid FRN is a good rule of thumb for me......and the shorter the time the better.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
Country wrote:What you gonna do when nobody will sell to you? Perhaps soon, the SILVER you've sold is SILVER that you will be unable to get back at any fiat price.

Thats what the core is for ;)

Never more than 10-20% in liquid FRN is a good rule of thumb for me......and the shorter the time the better.

That's the thing. You need FRNs to live. If you make the decision to be 'all in' and your self-employed, cash flow is a day to day struggle.

But the goal is to come out net positive in silver.

I have feeling Doc and I work our personal situations very similar.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby fusscharles » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:39 pm

shortly after it passes 40 bucks- maybe $43, im dumping.... waiting for a pull back, then going back in.
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:45 pm

Buying all I can afford in .999 at this point.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:50 pm

fusscharles wrote:shortly after it passes 40 bucks- maybe $43, im dumping.... waiting for a pull back, then going back in.

Thats what she said :lol:
TXBullion

Postby Thogey » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:55 pm

TXBullion wrote:
fusscharles wrote:shortly after it passes 40 bucks- maybe $43, im dumping.... waiting for a pull back, then going back in.

Thats what she said :lol:

:lol:

nice! That might be the sickest 'that's what she said' joke.

Mrs Thogey is laughing her ass off. Trust me that is an accomplishment.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:01 pm

Thogey wrote:I have feeling Doc and I work our personal situations very similar.

I would agree with that assumption.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Dvorak » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:15 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Always buying......always selling.......and always holding a core.

I have trouble with the selling part. Once I hold them in my hands, they become part of my family and I just can't stand to let them go. Of course, I'm going to need to break that habit if I want to keep buying!
Dvorak
Penny Sorter Member

Postby aristobolus » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:52 am

Context gentlemen, context. Do you think the manufacturing jobs are coming back? As congress argues over a thirty to forty billion dollar difference in spending cuts, our debt accumulates at over a trillion a year. The Federal Reserve is the largest buyer of of our money. China wants out, Japan is now forced out, will the U.S provide a context for a strong dollar? Weak dollars purchase less and less bullion, but I hope your right about all of this.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby dougefresh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:37 am

As a buy and hold kind of guy, I would only sell if I needed paper money for something. To me the whole Idea of buying PM is to get into real "money" and out of paper fiat. Now if your buying to turn it over and buy more, then that's a business model of making money on the spread. Nothing wrong with that, just not my cup of tea for now.
dougefresh
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:35 pm

Only if I need FRN's for some reason. Inflation is going to destroy the dollar shortly.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:07 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with selling some of the hoard for a nice profit. If you bought at $15 to 18 and you can now sell for over $40.

I am sure there are a lot of people back in the late 70's that would have wished they would have sold when silver hit $50.

I am not saying silver will go back down to $4 tomorrow or any time in the near future but you don't want to get too greedy.

If you sell some, then you have cash on hand if an awesome deal comes along (ie like that Jack Hunt deal or a coin show where a dealer is selling below spot) or if there is a correction and you buy on a dip.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby GA-Silver » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:49 am

Buying......bought a 1945 quarter for $1 off a guy yesterday!
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals