So my dad handed me a bag of coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

So my dad handed me a bag of coins

Postby justj2k78 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:22 pm

My dad knew I've been looking into Copper and Silver lately, and gave me a bag of coins he's had for a bazillion years. Tons of random coins, including the following silver:

1906 Morgan, 1884 Morgan, 1876 Seated Liberty Half Dollar and 8 War Nickels

For someone just starting out, that's a score! :mrgreen:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: So my dad handed me a bag of coins

Postby aloneibreak » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:36 pm

heck thats a score for any of us !
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:38 pm

justj2k78 wrote:My dad knew I've been looking into Copper and Silver lately, and gave me a bag of coins he's had for a bazillion years. Tons of random coins, including the following silver:

If its authentic....do you want to make 10 grand? :P

I'll pay the PCGS sub fees :)

Just picking nice score......any mintmarks on your morgans?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby justj2k78 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
justj2k78 wrote:My dad knew I've been looking into Copper and Silver lately, and gave me a bag of coins he's had for a bazillion years. Tons of random coins, including the following silver:

If its authentic....do you want to make 10 grand? :P

I'll pay the PCGS sub fees :)

Just picking nice score......any mintmarks on your morgans?

Hey man, since you're the one who was nice enough to tell me, I'll let you have it for $5000! ;)
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 pm

Thanks for being a good sport. ;) Seriously though check the mint marks.

An 1884-s is a great coin in any grade. It once had a fair premium in the g and vg range before spot silver went silly.

It still retains a nice premium in higher grades.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Nothing will make your day like a 1906 morgan.

Does it stick to a magnet?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jtlee321 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:48 am

It was a typo. He meant to say it was a 1964 Peace Dollar. :lol: And I have made a deal to buy it at spot. He shipped it already.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby justj2k78 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Thanks for being a good sport. ;) Seriously though check the mint marks.

An 1884-s is a great coin in any grade. It once had a fair premium in the g and vg range before spot silver went silly.

There was an s mintmark, but I sanded it off, because I was told that's how you like your Morgan's! If this is not true, I will give you the option of either I draw the s back on with my daughter's crayon, or drop the price to $4000, but you'd have to pay now! :lol:

No Mintmarks for me, just a couple nice chunks of silver!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:56 pm

That would be a fun thing to do with one of those cheap, cast fakes, scratch up where the mint mark used to be and claim it was an "S".
:twisted:
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 97guns » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:06 pm

just last month my dad kicked down a bank roll of '64 kennedy's and his 18K jade ring. he said theres a piggy bank in the closet thats for me with nothing but 90% and some gold pieces.
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Your Dad is a helluva guy!! Be real nice to him on Fathers' Day. :D
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justj2k78 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

All sorts of fun and old stuff, a penny from 1845 - believe it's called a Braided Liberty (really good shape), 15 Indian Heads (oldest 1960), maybe 20 Buffalo Nickels, 3 Liberty Nickels (I think that's what they were called), an 1866 US 2 cent piece, some 1970's JFKs and Eisenhowers (not silver), some 3 pence and 6 pence pieces, a few old larger Canadian pennies, and probably about 300 wheat pennies, mostly from the teens and '20s (My dad said that they were saved from his parent's penny candy section in their "General Store"). I like the silver, because well, it's silver, but the rest is just really cool from a historical perspective. An 1845 Penny? It would have been old enough to pick up arms in the Civil War! If only they could talk... :ugeek:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:03 am

justj2k78 wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

All sorts of fun and old stuff, a penny from 1845 - believe it's called a Braided Liberty (really good shape), 15 Indian Heads (oldest 1960), maybe 20 Buffalo Nickels, 3 Liberty Nickels (I think that's what they were called), an 1866 US 2 cent piece, some 1970's JFKs and Eisenhowers (not silver), some 3 pence and 6 pence pieces, a few old larger Canadian pennies, and probably about 300 wheat pennies, mostly from the teens and '20s (My dad said that they were saved from his parent's penny candy section in their "General Store"). I like the silver, because well, it's silver, but the rest is just really cool from a historical perspective. An 1845 Penny? It would have been old enough to pick up arms in the Civil War! If only they could talk... :ugeek:

I agree! If only those old coins could talk. This is the part I like best about coin collecting- the history involved. What did that 1845 penny see? Did it travel the Oregon Trail? See old Santa Fe? Did it pass thru the hands of someone like Lincoln?

If you can ever get your hands on a 1796 dime, hold it tight. It was made from the melted-down silverware of Geo. Washington and other Founding Fathers. They donated the silver so our nation could have coins. Some of them actually melted the silver and ran the machine themselves on the first coin run!

The 1787 Fugio copper cent has a great history, too. The copper used came from military scrap. Some of the copper was from the metal bands of gun powder kegs donated to us by France. If you hold a Fugio, you may be holding the very same copper that passed thru the hands of a Revolutionary Soldier fighting for our Liberty.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PreservingThePast » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:49 pm

I agree! If only those old coins could talk. This is the part I like best about coin collecting- the history involved. What did that 1845 penny see? Did it travel the Oregon Trail? See old Santa Fe? Did it pass thru the hands of someone like Lincoln?

If you can ever get your hands on a 1796 dime, hold it tight. It was made from the melted-down silverware of Geo. Washington and other Founding Fathers. They donated the silver so our nation could have coins. Some of them actually melted the silver and ran the machine themselves on the first coin run!

The 1787 Fugio copper cent has a great history, too. The copper used came from military scrap. Some of the copper was from the metal bands of gun powder kegs donated to us by France. If you hold a Fugio, you may be holding the very same copper that passed thru the hands of a Revolutionary Soldier fighting for our Liberty.

Thanks for the cool history lesson!!! :)

Enjoy your coins, everyone. :geek:

Edited, I hope, because my eyes and hands wouldn't coordinate to get the right quote.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:31 am

justj2k78 wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Thanks for being a good sport. ;) Seriously though check the mint marks.

There was an s mintmark, but I sanded it off, because I was told that's how you like your Morgan's! If this is not true, I will give you the option of either I draw the s back on with my daughter's crayon, or drop the price to $4000, but you'd have to pay now! :lol:

No Mintmarks for me, just a couple nice chunks of silver!

:lol: eyes watering from laughter
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals