Learn from my mistake (long)

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Learn from my mistake (long)

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 pm

Ran into a problem with a bank coin counting machine. I should of made a careful note of the right dollar amount quantities of coins I brought with me to count. I always put a gone through box full of coins into a bag and take the bag to the coin counter. Well, I don't think I did anything outside of that routine this time but last week the coin counter shorted me over half the amount I thought was in the bag. The thing is that a bank employee came to empty the machine bag after it filled and may have erased the amount that already accrued in the tally. I don't know. He acted like he was green with the machine functions. I may have to give the bank the benefit of the doubt and let it go once they get back to me next week. Their system of accounting for coins that go into the counter had better be able to show if there is an imbalance in what was actually reported by the counter's print-out. They will have to wait for the coin pick-up service people give them a count of what they sent out. I feel I am screwed for not paying close attention to what dollar of coins I had exactly. I just don't think I would bring a partial bag in like to count. So, folks always know the approximate amount or exact if you can, of coins you bring in to count. I just can not think of why I would bring a bag of dimes that had less than $250 in it. My routine is to empty the box of coins into a coin bag and set it aside for the bank's machine counting. I may just go back to bring rolled coins in for depositing. May take time to roll but I will avoid the machine making errors or getting the icy treatment from bank employees that hate emptying and lifting the full coin bags.

The strange part is early last week I had a premonition about getting hosed on a coin counting machine just like this. It comes down to your word against the banks IMHO. They don't know until they get the results back from the Brinks guys. I would rather just be a crank customer and eat crow and accept I messed up by bringing a partial bag to the bank. I just don't think I did. And even worse is if the machine messed up in some unique way and the money really was eaten but not be reflected by any print out receipts. The bank personnel were no ease to deal with either. Makes me even more leery of them going forward. I think the tellers are tired of me using their machine anyway as I make a once a month trip to them and nearly always they have to change a bag or two when I stop in. Well, I won't be using their bank branch after this. My wife and I are waiting to see what the bank says. I can not really feel too upset as I have got many miles with no fees on their coin counters. I just can not believe I would mess up this bad and in some moment of absent-mindedness bring a half box of coins in for counting. I am very sure I did not make a mistake.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Learn from my mistake (long)

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:05 pm

Do you know what kind of machine you were using? The machine should keep a batch total for what you ran. Unfortunately I doubt the bank keeps batch totals to compare to what the daily total is.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm

I think it was a Mach machine. The bank is td bank. No real-time visual on how much you dumped into the counter slots. I don't think they will lift a finger more than they have to and they probably shouldn't. The lesson is to be very certain of how much coinage you brought in and get a count on how much you already dumped before they change bags. I know I am not happy with a possible lack of judgment on my part but there are no winners in this situation.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:44 pm

I think you will be ok. Had the same experience at TD Bank early on in my sorting. Same deal: inexperienced teller hit the wrong button while changing out the bag, and zeroed what had already been counted. This was on a Penny Arcade machine.

It took a few days but once all the coin bags were tallied it showed a $62 overage compared to the machine's internal counter (which can't be undone no matter how badly a teller mishandles the keypad), and they called me in to pick up the cash.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby TXBullion » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Get a coin counter. I got ripped off before as they claimed loomis was weighing coins. I dont think this is true but I only had weights and not actual counts. Get your own counter
TXBullion

Postby Morsecode » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Having your own coin counter is good, but TD still won't take bagged coin from non-commercial account holders. I don't know of a bank around here that will. Even my credit union won't let me deposit loose bagged & counted coin.

Would be nice.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Tourney64 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:18 pm

I have 2 free coin dump machines at credit unions I use. Got shorted $5.50 on a $500 dump of halves on one of the machines. I have seen the machine not count properly more than once, so when I do dump at that one it's only pennies. The other machine I dump at is perfect, and I can usually get reject coins every dump. Even got a $5 bill once.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby thedrifter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:37 pm

This why I absolutly hate counter machines, and prefer to deposit my dumps rolled. If the count is wrong it is your word againts theres. Unfortunatly the town were I dumb does not have any banks that allow rolled deposits. So I count everything that I deposit. I guess I count just so that if the count is off I can be pissed and my loathing of the banks can grow.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:06 pm

Morsecode wrote:I think you will be ok. Had the same experience at TD Bank early on in my sorting. Same deal: inexperienced teller hit the wrong button while changing out the bag, and zeroed what had already been counted. This was on a Penny Arcade machine.

It took a few days but once all the coin bags were tallied it showed a $62 overage compared to the machine's internal counter (which can't be undone no matter how badly a teller mishandles the keypad), and they called me in to pick up the cash.

Bank contacted me today. They found the error and credited my account 99.5% of what I thought was missing. The other 0.5% works out to be less than a dollar and could be that I was short those few dimes anyway in the rolls. Not a problem. I was not very enthused these past two weeks however. I won't be going back to that branch for a long,long time. I thought the machine screwed up but felt I was mistreated trying to get the staff there to care. Lesson is to know how much money you are dumping or at least weigh the bags before hitting the dump bank.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OtusLotus » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:23 pm

This happened to me one time at TD Bank.. I went in with a box of dimes, and I new exactly how much I dropped into the machine...

I went to the head teller to complain, and I wrote down on a piece of paper exactly what I was shorted..

I waited about 2 weeks, and went back to the same head teller and she gladly handed over the money to me..

It has nothing to do with the person changing bags.. it all has to do with the machine..

I never dump all of my coins in at the same time, but take my time and kinda sweep them in, after I hear them all being counted..

Its a little tedious, but I always get out what I put in..

Go back to the head teller/ mgr in a few weeks, and ask them about the count..

BTW.. they do have a little leeway in the amount that they can credit you on the spot (but not sure what it is)
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals