Teller selling me his found silver halves

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Teller selling me his found silver halves

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:16 am

Yesterday I was at one of my dump banks. There is a lead male teller who is always asking me if I found anything good this time around. I usually just tell him that it is hit and miss without going into details of what I find.

Yesterday, he told me a story about how an elderly woman came in with a bunch of halves and one of the rolls was sort of opening and the coins fell out of one roll and they were all silver. He said all the tellers around that station started staring at the coins wide eyed and the woman quickly told them she wanted the coins back. So sounds like they were pretty close to hitting a motherload of silver.

He went on to ask me what I did with the halves I found and where I turn them in. I told him that I am a collector and keep mine and would buy any silver halves.

He told me had some that he had found over the years and that he would sell them to me. I told him I would definitely pay him above face value but didn't give him specific numbers.

How much would you guys pay a teller for found 40% halves and 90% halves?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Teller selling me his found silver halves

Postby VWBEAMER » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:49 am

75-80 percent of melt.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:01 am

VWBEAMER wrote:75-80 percent of melt.

Agreed.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 am

Then tell him I will offer him 81% and shipping. :P
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:18 am

I would offer a little more than what the coin store is going to give him. If that higher than what you want to pay tell him were you would sell it. At this point he might look into it what silver is going for and when you make your offer he might think you are trying to rip him off. Most people forget that there cost was face. Also he would not have saved them if he did know that they were of value also he would not have told you his silver story. With this teller you might have a new source bank also a nicer place to dump.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:45 am

southern coins and precious metals has their buy prices on their site and i usually buy at those prices. they are probably a little higher than local shops but you have to ship to them. kitco also publishes prices.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:47 pm

I was able to buy $10 face of 40% and $1.50 face of 90% for $120 total; not bad
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Pennysaved wrote:I was able to buy $10 face of 40% and $1.50 face of 90% for $120 total; not bad

Not bad. That all he had?
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Yeah but he seemed really motivated to keep searching for it at that branch.

Someone had turned these in to that branch.

I educated him on rim searching and encouraged him to start doing quarters and dimes too; hopefully, he will focus on quarters since I dont search quarters :-)

He told me would sell me more if he gets more.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Pennysaved wrote:Yeah but he seemed really motivated to keep searching for it at that branch.

Someone had turned these in to that branch.

I educated him on rim searching and encouraged him to start doing quarters and dimes too; hopefully, he will focus on quarters since I dont search quarters :-)

He told me would sell me more if he gets more.

Just as long as he isnt going through what you would be picking up like boxes...

Educating tellers can be a two-edged sword.
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Yeah it is strictly a dump bank; dumped 4k in halves and a couple hundred in nickels. Do that a couple days a week; luckily they dont hate me yet; helps to take an 8 pack of snickers in there for them.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 pm

I agree with the 75-80% of spot.

As the silver in the wild decreases, I believe that the best chance some of us will have for silver under spot will be with tellers.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals