Ordering Boxes from Banks.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Ordering Boxes from Banks.

Postby BamaJoe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Just a little tidbit I thought I would throw out.

As I mentioned before, my little island girl is the head teller at a bank. One of her duties is ordering all the coins. In the past she would just call her order in to the armored car company and they would bring it. Now they have a new system (probably designed to cut costs). Now she has to order online thru the bank's system and the orders are forwarded to the armored car company. Sounds fine except that they are limiting the total number of boxes each branch orders according to the number of business accounts the bank has. For example if her max number is 30 boxes and she needs 20 various boxes of quarters, dimes, etc. for the merchants then she would only have 10 slots left to order haves for little ole me. Luckily, for me she can call the head teller of the branch just a couple miles down the road and get her to also order them for me also if necessary.

If this went widespread to other banks I can see it causing problems for some sorters. Especially if several sorters are trying to order from the same bank or someone wants alot of boxes for penny sorting.

Just one more hurdle to deal with.
Last edited by BamaJoe on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Ordering Boxes from Banks.

Postby fasteddy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:34 pm

yep, got that talk today at lunch from my favorite branch....time to move on.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Which company is this?
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby BamaJoe » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Regions Bank
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Roadrunner » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:27 am

BamaJoe wrote:Regions Bank

Darn. :evil:
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:28 am

Roadrunner wrote:
BamaJoe wrote:Regions Bank

Darn. :evil:

Phew. :D
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Wow.. what are the odds that it is actually a bank I don't have an account at.. Whew!

Actually, this practice is quite widespread at several banks. Corporate wants to control costs and limits orders or even does the ordering for the branch. Then more merchants want coins than what they have in stock. The branch can't properly service the merchant and this is upsetting to both the local branch and the merchant. The merchant starts looking for another bank that can provide the coin he needs to operate his business. This is where I get really popular with some of my local branches. I take all their CWR.. which they either would have a hard time getting the merchants to take or would have to break out of the rolls and ship it in. Then I provide machine rolled boxes of whatever denomination they need so they can service their merchant customers even when corporate doesn't allow them enough coin.

Ideally, the bank would order the maximum # of boxes they are allowed and sell you any excess boxes they don't need. Then when they come up short, you bring in whatever boxes they need to keep their business customers happy. In effect you are a "free" coin processor for them. Of course it is tricky to make this work with half dollars, since nobody but us really needs half dollars. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals