IRA Mistake

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

IRA Mistake

Postby AuStruck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:09 am

A few years (months) back I had a gold IRA formed. I think this was a mistake.

What is the “plot” behind the IRA gold deal? I knew little about it at the time.

I still have the IRA. It contains American Eagle Gold proof coins. I suppose this may work over the long haul. I think I should do something different with this IRA. Any advice?
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Re: IRA Mistake

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:47 am

The issues for me are the cost involved with setting up and maintaing a custodial account and then having to pay storage fees because you aren't allowed to physically hold the gold yourself. I'd cancel out of it if you can. You could hold gold in the form of the GLD ETF in a regular IRA brokerage account, however, I personally have a great deal of concern with the GLD product that I won't go into and you probably already know about. My choice has been to hold physical gold not in an IRA, but just as a "regular" investment and then invest in the gold miners in my IRA. I don't like the risk involved with owning any single miner, so I use the GDX ETF of many gold miners.

Also, if you do choose to continue to use your current form of holding gold in your IRA, I wouldn't buy any more proofs, just buy bullion. Proofs have an unnecessary mark up associated with them. The markup could stay in tact, grow, or go down depending on the market for your proof coin (seperate from the market for gold itself).
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby commoncents » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:58 pm

I'm considering moving my 401k into a self-directed IRA. I'd like a wider range of investments that the former-employer 401k allows. Also would like to minimize counterparty risk.

Can anyone advise on self-directed IRA custodians and companies to do the IRA formation? I'll probably hold mostly mining stock in the IRA, but would like maximum flexibility
Don't make me hungry - you wouldn't like me when I'm hungry !
commoncents
Penny Sorter Member

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:48 pm

You can go to any major online brokerage company, like Schwab, Scottrade, TD Ameritrade, eTrade, etc. and open an IRA account for free. They'll provide you the paperwork you'll need to perform the rollover from your 401k and walk you through the process. It's really pretty straightforward and the brokerage companies will help you all the way through. Any of those four are reputable. You can then purchase any stock or ETF you want. You will pay commissions on the trade (usually around $10 per trade, but maybe even less). You can also purchase mutual funds through these brokerage accounts too, but not physical precious metals.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:08 pm

I just rolled over an old 401k to Fidelity. $7 trades and free ETF trades inside of IRA's. They limit you to several a week and they are limited but hey they are free.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:09 pm

If you want reasonable assurance that your PM actually exists, consider CEF for a gold/silver combo, PHYS for gold-only, or PSLV for silver-only.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 pm

CEF and some of those others often have higher premiums over NAV than coins. but if you want to keep your money inside the IRA those are good ways to go. CEF's premium recently was pretty low so its a good buy right now.

the risk imho of having a regular ira is the govt someday will require you to buy us treasury bonds. the additioanl risk of a roth is they'll change the rules and subject it to double taxation.

of course, inside an IRA you can buy and sell and not trigger taxes so there is some benefit to an IRA.

if you are going to bust an IRA, do it soon becuase rates are likely to go up.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals