Silver for gold?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver for gold?

Postby inflationhawk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:37 pm

The case for holding silver is much the same as it is for gold, as protection against a debased currency and inflation. The price of silver has increased at a far greater pace than gold over the last 12 to 18 months, I am thinking at some point soon it only makes sense to sell silver and use the proceeds to buy gold. Holding silver has been fun the last year...perhaps too much fun!! Maybe it's time to rebalance the precious metals portfolio. I'd like to hear others thoughts on this strategy.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Silver for gold?

Postby mortarman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:50 pm

I think there are a lot of reasons for the gold/silver ratio to fall in the coming months/years. With JPMorgans concentrated short positions in the silver market, and the always valid argument that you don't want to take a cold chisel to your Gold Eagles just to buy a loaf of bread, I'd say there's a lot of sense in hanging on to your smallest denomination silver coins. But then again, I don't have to worry about wealth preservation, since you have to have it to worry about it :). I'll be lucky to feed the fam with my sack of dimes...
mortarman

Postby aristobolus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:50 pm

There is a real tension here. On the one hand, if the rapidity of increase in value is considered there is great merit in your thinking. On the other hand, if one believes that the ratio of Gold to Silver is still inflated (currently 33.93 : 1), and will come down even more nearer to 16 : 1; then there may be a ways to go before such a move. Perhaps a bit of re-allocation, but not too much?
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:02 pm

I agree about the gold silver ratio being out of whack right now, but it has been for years. This run up in silver has been very quick. I hate the idea of trying to play trader by going back and forth between gold and silver, but it seems like such an opportunity to cash in some silver for gold that hasn't moved as much. Maybe if silver corrected I could reverse the trade to re-enter silver later. It's a fools game to do try to trade like this, but it seems just as foolish to not take profits after such a runup. Long term though there is compelling reasons to hold silver because of the historic gold/silver ratio.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:12 pm

inflationhawk wrote:I agree about the gold silver ratio being out of whack right now, but it has been for years. This run up in silver has been very quick. I hate the idea of trying to play trader by going back and forth between gold and silver, but it seems like such an opportunity to cash in some silver for gold that hasn't moved as much. Maybe if silver corrected I could reverse the trade to re-enter silver later. It's a fools game to do try to trade like this, but it seems just as foolish to not take profits after such a runup. Long term though there is compelling reasons to hold silver because of the historic gold/silver ratio.

PM me if you want to trade 90% or 999 silver for gold.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:42 am

beauanderos wrote:
inflationhawk wrote:I agree about the gold silver ratio being out of whack right now, but it has been for years. This run up in silver has been very quick. I hate the idea of trying to play trader by going back and forth between gold and silver, but it seems like such an opportunity to cash in some silver for gold that hasn't moved as much. Maybe if silver corrected I could reverse the trade to re-enter silver later. It's a fools game to do try to trade like this, but it seems just as foolish to not take profits after such a runup. Long term though there is compelling reasons to hold silver because of the historic gold/silver ratio.

PM me if you want to trade 90% or 999 silver for gold.

This post is a good example of what I like about this forum. We come up with ideas and reach conclusions, sometimes on our own or sometimes with the input of others, that we think are the best course of action. Then, when we are ready to make the move, there is somebody here that has settled the question in their mind with a different conclusion and ready to take the opposite side of the transaction, convinced that they are doing the most beneficial thing for themselves. Can you say WIN-WIN?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:43 am

Lets look at the facts:
Less than a year ago an ounce of gold would cost you 70 ounces of silver.
Today 35 ounces of silver will score you that same ounce of gold.

Now let’s look at the opinion:
Might be time to trade a little silver for some gold. I know I have been.

My "core" is for wealth protection. However it has acted recently as a vehicle for wealth creation/appreciation. So how do I lock in the profits? Do I trade my shinnies for FRN? I don't think so. The best option I see to retaining my gains is by trading the now favorable S:G ratio. Not only is my silver worth (in FRN) twice as much as it was a year ago.....it's worth twice as much gold. Just some thoughts.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:25 am

I, on the other hand, think that silver will continue to outperform gold. I started selling gold and replacing it with silver at 54:1 and it's now 34:1 or lower. I am now out of gold ounces, but will hold onto fractionals. It could be a smart move to "take some off of the silver table" right now and move it into gold, but my bet is for continued degradation of the ratio to at least 20:1 this coming year, if not lower. As long as you are in either metal... can you really get hurt? Nah, don't think so. You are so far ahead of the game as compared to fiat idiots that there is no doubt you will someday be wealthy in comparison. :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:35 am

beauanderos wrote:I, on the other hand, think that silver will continue to outperform gold. I started selling gold and replacing it with silver at 54:1 and it's now 34:1 or lower. I am now out of gold ounces, but will hold onto fractionals. It could be a smart move to "take some off of the silver table" right now and move it into gold, but my bet is for continued degradation of the ratio to at least possibly 20:1 this coming year, if not lower. As long as you are in either metal... can you really get hurt? Nah, don't think so. You are so far ahead of the game as compared to fiat idiots that there is no doubt you will someday be wealthy in comparison.....and Rodebaugh is the coolest guy I know :D

In 100% agreement with just a small change here and there in wording which I have made ;)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby inflationhawk » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:32 am

I've reached my conclusion....for now. The input here was very valuable to me, thanks! The trend is firmly in place for the gold/silver ratio to continue lower. It's too hard to pick a bottom and I have to agree that a more long term reasonable expectation is for the gold/silver ratio to go lower still. Maybe 20, but at least a fair bit lower than 34. Who knows, maybe a full reversion to the mean of 16. It's hard to imagine, but there is a good case for it. I will continue to hold silver and gold. I've always been skewed more towards gold on a total portfolio dollar basis, but silver is certainly catching up! I'll hold off longer on selling any silver.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:07 am

Gold is undervalued in the short term... doesn't matter the ratio of G:S
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby frugalcanuck » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:30 pm

An article arguing for a silver to gold ratio of 9 : 1

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/eric-s ... gle-digits
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:02 pm

GOLD and SILVER take turns in their stages of momentum. Until 2010, GOLD was what was on the move. SILVER languished; frustratingly so. Then, in August 2010 and ever since, SILVER has been on fire. It is GOLD that is languishing now. For the longer term capital preservation, you've got to hold both. However, if your game is capital appreciation, you put your money on who's got the hot hand. :mrgreen:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Country wrote:GOLD and SILVER take turns in their stages of momentum. Until 2010, GOLD was what was on the move. SILVER languished; frustratingly so. Then, in August 2010 and ever since, SILVER has been on fire. It is GOLD that is languishing now. For the longer term capital preservation, you've got to hold both. However, if your game is capital appreciation, you put your money on who's got the hot hand. :mrgreen:

You know, I know this. But it is just good to here it again every now and then.

Good post. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Just a thought: What about the other ratios history?

Silver:platinum currently 54:1
Silver:paladium currently 17:1
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals