Best Way to Stack at $44

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Best Way to Stack at $44

Postby mortarman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:20 am

With my son due in August, I've only got about $1200 in "working capitol". I've been using these funds to get as many CWR dimes as I can. Last week, I managed to find $6.00 face with it.

I could've just bought four or five ounces outright, but I'm on salary (military), and felt it was better to sacrifice my time than my limited funds, especially with silver hitting multi-decade highs.

I guess it boils down to how much your time is worth. For someone on salary with no additional means of earning an income, it works out. But if I was a waiter, or a car salesman, I'd rather be trying to earn more to stack more. Thoughts?
mortarman

Re: Best Way to Stack at $44

Postby marine70 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:39 am

Good find I hope you find alot more. I would also like to thank you for your military service, god bless you and your family.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby RxForPain » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:07 am

We are all in the same boat trying to figure out how to get the best deals. I have found that you just need to be open to any Ag at a good price. In my area pickings are slim so I started looking at Canadian Ag coins and have been able to buy well under spot without any problems. The wife and I also have taken to roaming through hole in the wall antique stores because with the sudden rise in silver many old coin prices have not been adjusted up for a few weeks.

There are also some nice promotional offers that get posted in here where you can get US and Canadian Silver well under spot.

We are all having to work a whole lot harder!
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby wagsthadog » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Hi there-

Thank you for your military service- we're proud of you!

You could do a couple things- pennies are a reliable source of copper, and you could start sorting and selling copper. What's your time worth, and how convenient is it for you to dump? Dunno, but it IS consistent additional income, where silver is hit or miss.
You could also sell the dimes to create more "seed money" and go after more boxes.
I have always sold my found 40% halves for years, and used that money to get what I really wanted- gold or 90%, but I havent hit much 40% in a long time.
I would keep sorting, but buy 1 dime roll a month. That way, youre still in the game with searching, but youre dollarcostaveraging and getting silver affordably. Too much for your budget? Buy a roll of 40% or war nicks a month, but start stacking now...JMO

One question, and this might be totally talking through the @$$ or rumors, but as military, have you heard of or performed any war games exercises to prepare for the event of a large scale economic breakdown? Is that something the military is looking into? I would love to hear if you have any inside info!!! (If you are able to share of course...)

Thanks!

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fusscharles » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 pm

stay on CraigsList- post, repost, make offers and hustle- that is my trick... if you don't want to deal with people- put it all into pennies or do what these guys do.... sort though halves.
Good luck, and thanks for all you and your comrades do....
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mortarman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:50 am

"One question, and this might be totally talking through the @$$ or rumors, but as military, have you heard of or performed any war games exercises to prepare for the event of a large scale economic breakdown? Is that something the military is looking into? I would love to hear if you have any inside info!!! (If you are able to share of course...)"

I'll begin by saying that anything I state regarding military affairs/doctrine on this site is information that is available in the public domain. That's my disclaimer.

Back in Jan. 2010, Obama signed Ex. Order 13528. This effectively created a board of governors that will approve any attempt by him to bring the National Guard under Federal control, specifically that of NorthCom. This, and bear in mind I don't make policy, will be the first step in an egregious subversion of the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878. Text of the XO can be found here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default ... _order.pdf.

Unified Quest 2011 is the practical extension of the implied policy there. It is essentially running National Guard units through Ft. Richardson, AK to participate in civil unrest/food/economic riot training (read: preparation for a violation of Posse Comitatus).

I am an active duty soldier who recently returned from my brigade's second deployment to Iraq. Active Duty units are primarily focused outwards, i.e. Libya, Afghanistan, Yemen, Syria, etc. Always looking for our next potential deployment. There are several units who have been given domestic deployments under NorthCom. Now these "deployments", for all intents and purposes, are not what you should be concerned about (Why? The are tailored towards responding to regional threats, and no you're not a regional threat you there shining your Socom II MIA with a Beta C drum full of 308 AP in your birthday suit and body armor).

You SHOULD be concerned about how you will respond to a police state.

Imagine this: primary thoroughfares have checkpoints established by the National Guard at city limits, with the local PD manning checkpoints inside city limits, in order to "ensure your safety from domestic extremists". Several major Tea Party demonstrations have been "suppressed". The Pres institutes price controls on most everyday consumables (food/fuel). The store shelves then go empty as Joe the Breadmaker/Dairy Farmer/Gas Refiner can no longer make money below a certain price threshold, and therefore, stops producing. Your local flea market then becomes your local black market, with the products you used to take for granted now available for a much higher price. Behind all of this is an ongoing bond market collapse, significant devaluation of the dollar on the USDX, and a downgrading of our AAA credit rating. Imports become prohibitively expensive, and we collectively kick ourselves in our rears because we offshored all of our domestic production/manufacturing capabilities. This leads to further drying up of goods/services we used to take for granted.

This is the point that many of us are preparing for. When enough people domestically lose confidence in the dollar that we must rely on our CuNiAgAu reserves in order to simply provide for our families. Are you prepared for that? Is your larder deep enough? Are you sure your 40%/War Nicks/slabbed MS70 whatevers/Numismatic one-in-a-million keeper will be acceptable to the next guy? He might know exactly how much a BU CC Morgan is worth, but he doesn't know the next guy will so he may only offer the going rate for a silver dollar. Just something to think about.

I know that's a bit off topic, so to bring it back down to earth, yes the pentagon is tracking the impending currency collapse/food riots/sociopolitical unrest. Yes there are contingency plans that involve the domestic use of the military. Yes FEMA is also tracking, and has responded by decentralizing it's capability to respond. Yes there are still contingency plans that involve a joint effort between FEMA and the DOD (see REX84). Am I being trained to double tap grandma cause she's got ammonium nitrate for her garden? No. Am I being indoctrinated to see civilians as the enemy? No. Take it for what it's worth and think long and hard tonight about the implications. Tough times are on the damn door step.
mortarman

Postby mortarman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:56 am

My time should be worth more, but I'm cheap and can't get my commander's authorization for a second job. So it's worth what I can make searching rolls, for now.

You mentioned selling coppers. Everything I've read and seen, is that the market has been saturated by a couple of guys with Ryedales and too much time that have been driving the price down under 50% of spot. I'd do it, but honestly, I'd feel guilty about breaking into y'alls market and driving the price down even further. Lord knows how I'd feel if someone broke in on my dimes.

So that's where I'm at, I guess.
mortarman

Postby beauanderos » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:29 am

Mortarman... thanks bro, for your comprehensive answer to Wags question. And bless you for your service to our Country, however misguided the decisions leaders made were that put you in harm's way.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:22 am

in my city, at all major traffic intersections, the medians have been "beautified" with brick pavers etc and the curbs raised to almost a foot. makes it easier to institute a check point. cameras at every intersection and throughout the city. traffic signals at interstate on ramps. but thanks for your services, i'm sure you were just following orders.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:28 am

Thanks for the heads-up mortarman...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mortarman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:58 am

Thanks for the kind words and the support. I spend so much time around military that I take the civilian perspective for granted.

It's nice to know, too, that some folks are making a go of it on the outside, as well. We had too many fellas get out after our last deployment that ended up coming back in because of the lack of available employment opportunities (and a few whose unemployment checks ran out). Course, now we're all second guessing our "guaranteed employment" after the DOD showed its hand and preemptively ordered to us to continue to report for duty without pay before they settled the budget dispute. And this is, for all intents and purposes, not a time of crisis. Next time we could be deployed fighting our former creditors and what then? We'll be SOL...
mortarman

Postby glass » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks for the service

That said, you may have the ability to obtain some foriegn currancy at good exchange rates
I think my Mom for a 100 usd, bought some Dinars and got a few hundred grand?
glass
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mortarman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 pm

The exchange rate with the Dinar has fluctuated wildly since the war began back in 03. Not sure what it is now, but I have run into some guys that have had limited success with that.
mortarman

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals