Delicate question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Delicate question

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:03 pm

A co-worker's parent passed on recently. Based on the age of the parent and the nature of the estate, I am guessing there may be old coinage among the things that was collected. The co-worker has been in OK spirits actually so far and since they have talked about the estate and what the possible value it is ($$$) I am not so apprehensive about trying to offer some advice about how to get the best price for the coins if they exist. Part of me says to keep my mouth shut out of general respect but the other part gnaws away because I can almost picture some numismatic stuff getting low-balled by a local shop because the co-worker may not have a clue, or care, as the rest of the estate is formidable for him right now. It is his family's business and he may not like me asking but should I tell him I collect coins and suggest he take a look at the Red Book when he has a chance. I think you all know how this might seem. It seems opportunistic and I probably should just keep my mouth shut but I am not sure of the protocol.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Delicate question

Postby Corsair » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:06 pm

I'd say something along the lines of:

"Hey, I know it's been a hard time for you recently, but I've read some articles on the Internet about people getting ridiculously low values offered on their family heirlooms, like coins and gold and silver. If there's anything I can do to help, just ask me. I have all kinds of literature about fair coin values. If you need to borrow them, or ask me any questions at all, I'm here to help."
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:19 pm

I handle this type of stuff all the time.
Last edited by frugi on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Corsair wrote:I'd say something along the lines of:

"Hey, I know it's been a hard time for you recently, but I've read some articles on the Internet about people getting ridiculously low values offered on their family heirlooms, like coins and gold and silver. If there's anything I can do to help, just ask me. I have all kinds of literature about fair coin values. If you need to borrow them, or ask me any questions at all, I'm here to help."

Thanks, that was nice.
I have a good rapport with the co-worker so I think an open-ended offering like you suggested probably would be best. A few years ago, around 2007, I think, a good friend's father died and had a small coin collection. At the time I was not a collector so it was under my radar. My friend said he went to a dealer for appraisal and was told that the coins were common silver ones. My friend ended up selling them at a garage sale and a neighbor bought them all in one shot. Now, I bring this up because I still wonder what dates were on the coins and whether the dealer was low-balling my friend in hopes he would just sell the coins on the spot not knowing a rarer date from a common one. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would not think twice about offering my friend a good price on the coins if for nothing else other than I trust him and rather see him be the direct recipient of all the coins' imminent value. I have some bias that any collectors born in the Depression era may actually have held onto some cool stuff from the 1930's and later. I am curious I guess and in a way I think coin collectors have that trait as a strength to continue the collecting hobby. How cool would it be if there were BU coins from the 1930's in there?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 pm

frugi wrote:I handle this type of stuff all the time. (It might be wise not to get involved, if you think it would jeopardize your job, if not then go for it.)

I usually say something like, "I am sorry for your loss. I know this can be a hard time for you and your family. I understand the hardship/stress that comes when there is a loss of a loved one. I specialize in taking as much weight of the family while providing a complete estate liquidation service. If you like I can set aside some time to drop by, and lend my expertise. If nothing else, it will save you and your family the hassle of bringing in a total stranger. I can take a look, and give my best recommendation on how to move forward. Whether it be an auction, an estate sale, or a single buyer buy out."

I wouldn't mention coin or jewelry interest, or interest in anything. Phrase it like you have a genuine interest in helping out your friend/co-worker. It is not unethical to tell them you may be able to help them out since you have knowledge of valuable stuff. After you get inside the house, start asking about art, antiques, gold, silver, jewelry, etc. This is the ONLY & BEST way to approach this type of situation. Appear proffessional, curteous, friendly, and sympathetic, and you may just succeed, if not, at least you put forth a honest effort, and no one would look down on you. Remember you probably would pay more than a pawn shop or coin shop, so you would be doing them an honest favor. I try to never let a opportunity pass me by without at least giving it a shot, that way I will never wonder what if?, no regrets mate.

Thanks also. I was questioning the etiquette involved given the situation. There are old cars, antiques,a good deal of prime land, a safe that needs a locksmith, bank account with much money I believe. My co-worker will need to trust some folks to get a good idea of the value of the estate. I feel bad for his loss as it was tense the past weeks prior to his father passing but now he has a different set of things he needs to put his attention to. He might end up leaving the workplace as the time he might need to free up, let alone he will be financially set, will take precedence.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:23 am

If they have other assets the "kids" often discount the "small little coins" and therefore get super low balled or worse yet make a trip to the bank! Your help will make them money almost every time!

Since you have a good rapport I would recommend being a little more straight forward than Corsair recommended. People don't like to read :)

Also I would mention coins and jewelry unless you truly have expertise in other areas as it appears frugi does. If your expertise is "coins" then mention "coins".

Being straight forward is a surprisingly good tool in these situations. And in most others!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals