Population of graded ATBs ?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Population of graded ATBs ?

Postby lakehouse » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:41 pm

Does anyone have any insight as to what the final distribution of grades may ultimately look like? Has anyone sent theirs out to be graded? Jack Hunt graded maybe half the coins they sent out it sounds like? What have other dealers done? Sounds like most folks have been in the 68s so far.

The PCGS site shows a lot of price decreases recently (more supply from grading coming through?). Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Yellowstone appear to have the fewest high grades so far but not sure if the sample is large enough to project to the population.
lakehouse

Re: Population of graded ATBs ?

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:54 am

lakehouse wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to what the final distribution of grades may ultimately look like? Has anyone sent theirs out to be graded? Jack Hunt graded maybe half the coins they sent out it sounds like? What have other dealers done? Sounds like most folks have been in the 68s so far.

The PCGS site shows a lot of price decreases recently (more supply from grading coming through?). Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Yellowstone appear to have the fewest high grades so far but not sure if the sample is large enough to project to the population.

I still dont understand what Jack Hunt did and why they did it. Why grade 3 of the 5 and send them out? Why not grade them all? I just happened to get 5 of the ungraded ones. Makes no sense to me at all.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby lakehouse » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:22 am

Luckily, I got 5 graded ones. From what people have written it sounds like they started sending out ungraded with minimal paddding and then shifted to sending out some slabs to all slabs (based on customer complaints it appears). Not sure why they did what they did except damage control but they gained some more loyal customers with the move. With their profits capped by the govt, all the dealers had zero incentive to go the extra mile other than trying to gain market share. I know I would not have sent them out to get graded myself.
lakehouse

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:31 am

Guess I should not have done the overnight payment. I was one of the first few to get the sets in padded mailers. No love from me for Jack.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hejira11 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:28 am

AGCoinHunter wrote:Guess I should not have done the overnight payment. I was one of the first few to get the sets in padded mailers. No love from me for Jack.

MAJOR bump. THANK YOU Dillon-Gage!
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 am

AGCoinHunter wrote:Guess I should not have done the overnight payment. I was one of the first few to get the sets in padded mailers. No love from me for Jack.

I waited and, as I wrote in another thread, it did me no good. My set arrived today ungraded.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:13 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

I waited and, as I wrote in another thread, it did me no good. My set arrived today ungraded.

I had my payment sent in ASAP. I got all 5 of mine graded.... Seems like to me there was little or no preference given as to when the orders came in. Probably just the way they came out of storage.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:05 pm

I will get some #'s for you. Hang tight
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Here are some points that jump out at me:

-No coin has been graded less than ms-60 by PCGS to date. Only 3 of all series and srike quality exist at 60, and six in 61, 10 in 62
-lowest pop MS 69 coin is Yosimite at 59
-lowest pop MS PL 69 coin is hot springs at 597
-lowest pop MS DMPL 69 coin is Grand Canyon at 461
-currently it is tougher to get a coin graded Ms 69 without a PL or DMPL designation.....go figure.

So as expected......tons of nice coins out there......folks should and will quit paying stupid premiums.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 97guns » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:59 pm

so will an ms69 thats non proof like command a premi?

i have a yosemite ms69
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 pm

97guns wrote:so will an ms69 thats non proof like command a premi?

i have a yosemite ms69

From a stats point of view it should ....but in real life....nope :(

I guess the overall point is this: Although a rare issue, ATB coins are VERY common in high grade.

Also I only have access to PCGS data.....with NGC all bets are off....but I figure it's very much the same story.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals