Fake Gold Coins?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Fake Gold Coins?

Postby panther » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:55 pm

bought a big auction on ebay, seller sends me about 80 pics. apparently his deceased father's collection.

lots and LOTS of fluff/commemorative crap that's worth the clad it's made of, but he said he's got a bag of these gold coins.. this is the picture he sent me.

35 1/10 of an ounce eagles, it appears.. but there is no date, no "$5 dollars" on it.. i'm thinking these are fakes, right? this picture is right after a picture of TWENTY gold flake vials someone bought.

NOTE: I HAVEN'T PAID YET :)
panther
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Fake Gold Coins?

Postby panther » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:01 pm

NOT SURE WHY THE PICTURE WON'T UPLOAD!

http://img849.imageshack.us/i/dsc02228g.jpg
panther
Penny Sorter Member

Postby BOHICA » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:59 pm

They look like those miniature copies.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:01 pm

They don't look like gold eagles to me. The biggest tell is the reverse. From your pic the reverse looks like the old (pre 1934) reverse of gold eagles and double eagles. Here is what the reverse of the "new" $5 AGE look like.

Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BOHICA » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:06 pm

Search ebay for "HGE gold coins" and you will see what they are.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals