Questions.......Need Answers Please

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Questions.......Need Answers Please

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:22 am

A couple of questions please.

I bought a good sized plastic box at a yard sale with contents for $1.50. Had a lot of sewing items.

As I plundered through it this morning I found several thimbles. A couple look like maybe brass with no markings, others just some sort of cheap metal that is silver looking and say Taiwan but one has the word Sterling on it. Should I assume that means it is sterling silver or would that be the manufacturer? It looks very old and has such a pretty intricate design on it.

If it is sterling silver, I know it weighs .14 T oz. I tried going to the Sterling Silver calculator in the sticky but my slow dial-up won't take me there.

IF it is sterling and IF I should decide to part with it, how do I do the math to figure out an approximate value to help me make the decision if I want to keep it or not?

Thanks for your help.......
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Re: Questions.......Need Answers Please

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:36 am

It is almost definitely sterling silver and I'd sell it on e-bay as people collect them and you'd get way more than the silver value if it's in good condition. Or I'd buy it for spot! :mrgreen:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:48 pm

PTP,
Congrats on the find. Here's how to calculate the silver value:
0.14Toz x .925 fine = 0.1295 ASW x Spot Silver ($48.50) = $6.28

I am certain you could get a better price for it with a collector.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Somnophore » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Stick it on eBay, should be worth more to a collector
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby knibloe » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Why don't you auction it here? My wife collects thimble (though she is not a "collector"). I would bid on it.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals