What is the date on this dime?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What is the date on this dime?

Postby aristobolus » Sat May 14, 2011 4:35 pm

I purchased this dime on Ebay, and received it today: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWNX%3AIT

Can anyone tell what date it is?

Also, who should I send it to for slabbing? My thoughts are that if an agency (NGC, etc.) can verify a date in AG condition, I have a good buy here.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Re: What is the date on this dime?

Postby byro007 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:37 pm

it looks like a 1866 but I cant really tell.
byro007
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Sat May 14, 2011 4:39 pm

*** Please note that the scans are so detailed they pick up every bit of debris on the scanner bed and on the coin holder itself, so the white dots or specks of dust are not on the coins themselves ***

No clue... 1866 or 1868
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Sat May 14, 2011 4:50 pm

I don't think that is an "8", the top slants right too much (compare to the clear "8"). My first thought was "5", but I've never seen the way they made 5's on coins back then. Looks like it's out of alignment.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aristobolus » Sun May 15, 2011 12:13 am

The coin itself pretty much looks the same in person as it does in the scan; I was hoping that once it arrived clarity would come forth. I believe it is a 65 or 66, but am in hopes that an expert might be able to verify. Do we have any coin shop owners on this forum that could give me some guidance?
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Sun May 15, 2011 8:37 am

You found the oldest known error dime in history!

From the year 186..someone at the mint didn't use the greek numbering system, and came up with their own,.. All the others use the date CLXXXVI.
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun May 15, 2011 9:05 am

Image I was gonna say a five at first, but can't really tell.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Sun May 15, 2011 9:40 am

I say 1869. The 9 got shoved around by an impact with an immovable object.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby LubbockCents » Sun May 15, 2011 1:11 pm

Looks like 1866 to me
LubbockCents

Postby gojomoso » Sun May 15, 2011 2:25 pm

looks like 1866, theres a bottom circle it seems and a slant, could be a 9 maybe
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:48 pm

I'd put my money on 1866.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Mon May 16, 2011 10:46 am

aristobolus wrote:I purchased this dime on Ebay, and received it today: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWNX%3AIT

Can anyone tell what date it is?

Also, who should I send it to for slabbing? My thoughts are that if an agency (NGC, etc.) can verify a date in AG condition, I have a good buy here.

You could end up spending more than the coin is worth just to get it slabbed. My RedBook says if it is in a G-4 condition it is only worth $18.00 if it is an 1868 or 1869. Hope someone can figure out it is a better date coin for you then it would be well worth getting it slabbed.

Enjoy your coins, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Mon May 16, 2011 3:49 pm

ed_vantage17 wrote:I'd put my money on 1866.

Considering what that "5" shown looks like, I think you are right.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:54 pm

You can tell by the curvature at the top that its a 6.

I woulnd't spend money getting it graded....like PTP said it will cost more than what the coin is worth!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby aristobolus » Wed May 18, 2011 1:14 am

highroller4321 wrote:You can tell by the curvature at the top that its a 6.

I woulnd't spend money getting it graded....like PTP said it will cost more than what the coin is worth!

Thanks to everyone for your input. Actually, if this is either a 65 or 66 it is quite rare; its mintage would be a mere 10,000 or 8,000. The 2010 Redbook puts their worth in Good condition at $250 or $300 respectively. So if I could get a verified 65 or 66 AG slabbed dime I would think that there would be a decent premium.

Any thoughts on which grading agency would be best for this type of service?
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Thu May 19, 2011 1:54 pm

aristobolus wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:You can tell by the curvature at the top that its a 6.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Actually, if this is either a 65 or 66 it is quite rare; its mintage would be a mere 10,000 or 8,000. The 2010 Redbook puts their worth in Good condition at $250 or $300 respectively. So if I could get a verified 65 or 66 AG slabbed dime I would think that there would be a decent premium.

Any thoughts on which grading agency would be best for this type of service?

I hope for your sake that it IS a rarer date coin and worth your time and effort to have it slabbed as values decrease significantly as the grade goes down and you stated you thought it was in AG condition. I have my doubts though as to it being a '65 or '66--also something else just doesn't look right about the reverse of the coin. But good luck to you and let us know what you find out.

You might want to post it on another coin forum, like maybe coin community I think it is called, before you spend the big bucks to have it slabbed though.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:10 pm

When I first saw it I thought it was a 5. If you can't determine the date then it is a cull which won't even get slabbed, but they will take your $$$. If you can't see it with a microscope then neither can PCGS or NGC.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri May 20, 2011 3:13 pm

PCGS and NGC are sometimes able to determine the date of a particular coin by the reverse die. If the reverse of a particular date has unique and distinct qualities (even when very small) then it can be assigned to that date.

I've seen large cents where the date is worn slick and the coin is in what's call a basal state and it's still able to be dated. I don't know if i'd spend the money in grading fees to have it looked at. If you're close to one of the major coin shows where PCGS or NGC is present, I'd ask them to take a look. Several gallons of gas to get there and back would be cheaper than grading fees. If you're really stuck on having it graded, then I'd send it to ANACS. They do a nice job of attributing errors.

Good luck with your well traveled coin.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals