Quarters

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Quarters

Postby moparal7 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:28 am

Yesterday my wife gave me a '49 quarter. She got it in change from a grocery store, came out of a coin dispenser.First time I have received one from the wild. Does any one sort quarters and if so how are the percentages?
moparal7
Penny Collector Member

Re: Quarters

Postby scrapper2010 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:41 am

I've only sorted a few quarters, with no luck. Check out the Tracking Threads here on Realcent and you'll see that quarters seem to produce the least amount of silver.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby psi » Wed May 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Never had any luck myself. They circulate a lot compared to smaller value coins, and they are large enough that many people will notice if one has an early date or just looks unusual.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Shattered » Wed May 18, 2011 7:04 pm

I have pulled maybe $1.50 face in the year that I have worked at the gas station.
Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed May 18, 2011 7:09 pm

Like Scrapper said, check out the percentages in the tracking threads. Last time I got one in the wild was at a bar about a year plus back. I bought a round of Jameson for the band and the barkeep brings back this one quarter for change. Immediately I knew it was silver as soon as I saw it. I think maybe he did, too. Good band. Really nice bar. :)

Ya know, I am going to go have a wee bit o' Jameson on the rocks to celebrate that event. ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed May 18, 2011 7:21 pm

[quote="Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay"]Like Scrapper said, check out the percentages in the tracking threads. Last time I got one in the wild was at a bar about a year plus back. I bought a round of Jameson for the band and the barkeep brings back this one quarter for change. Immediately I knew it was silver as soon as I saw it. I think maybe he did, too. Good band. Really nice bar. :)

Ya know, I am going to go have a wee bit o' Jameson on the rocks to celebrate that event. ;)[/quote]

I'll have a Dewers with ya. If its not Scottish, its crap!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed May 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Thogey wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Like Scrapper said, check out the percentages in the tracking threads. Last time I got one in the wild was at a bar about a year plus back. I bought a round of Jameson for the band and the barkeep brings back this one quarter for change. Immediately I knew it was silver as soon as I saw it. I think maybe he did, too. Good band. Really nice bar. :)

Ya know, I am going to go have a wee bit o' Jameson on the rocks to celebrate that event. ;)[/quote]

I'll have a Dewers with ya. If its not Scottish, its crap!

Cheers, mate! ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Heartkill » Wed May 18, 2011 8:01 pm

I've only tried CWR hunting them a few times and the only score I've had was a solid roll of mixed date 1950s-1967 50% Canadians.
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby ffej » Wed May 18, 2011 8:48 pm

I own a vending company so I see a lot of quaters a day, sometimes I find 3 or 4 in a day. I average atleast 1 a week. Seems if I find 1 i'll find another one that day.
ffej
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 pm

I did two $500 bags straight off the machine at my main branch,skunked...occasionally Ill buy 5 or 10 rolls hoping to get lucky....nothing yet...definately better chances in dimes nickels and halves..
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HPMBTT » Thu May 19, 2011 12:20 am

I have yet to find a silver quarter in the wild. Last year during one particular month, I rinsed over $2000 in CWR quarters and never found one. For this reason, I don't search quarters anymore.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby GTOJohn » Thu May 19, 2011 4:08 am

every once in a while i am able to get a $500 bag of quarters - got skunked on the bag i got yesterday. gotta keep trying, right?
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Verbane » Thu May 19, 2011 10:34 am

I search $700-800 CWR per month, and find a silver quarter about every $2000.00 searched. My 2011 average will be a lot better, I found 2 80% Canadians last week, which are selling in the auction forum today.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby rainsonme » Thu May 19, 2011 2:48 pm

HighRoller offered his opinion on quarters. He told me that they were the least likely denomination to find silver because their size made them noticable, unlike the dime that is small enough to go unnoticed, and quarters circulate rapidly so they get a lot of exposure, unlike halfs.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu May 19, 2011 3:45 pm

I collected from circulation, a roll of 1976 quarters. It took 3 years.

Shortly after starting collecting for the next roll, all those state quarters came out. It wasn't long before I wasn't finding 1976 quarters any more.

I think when the the states quarters program began, a lot of silver was found and removed from circulation.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Thu May 19, 2011 9:37 pm

rainsonme wrote:HighRoller offered his opinion on quarters. He told me that they were the least likely denomination to find silver because their size made them noticable, unlike the dime that is small enough to go unnoticed, and quarters circulate rapidly so they get a lot of exposure, unlike halfs.

Good points - I would also add that the state quarters program also caused the general public to look through quarters closely and probably caused some more silvers to get pulled out of an already miniscule amount left in the wild.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby anarchir » Fri May 20, 2011 12:14 am

I have to use quarters for laundry like many people, so I am practically forced to look at them on end and notice if they are silver or not. Out of the hundreds of dollars I have spent this way just for laundry, I have never found a silver one. I have found bicentennials and 1965's and also the new national monument ones but I have always put them right into the machines since they arent worth anything special.
anarchir
Penny Sorter Member

Postby tn-dave » Fri May 20, 2011 6:41 am

My wife sells drinks and snacks sometimes for fundraisers at the school where she teaches. She brought home the bag of change the night before it was on it's was to the local Coinstar and I sorted through all of it. Found a 1963 quarter and a pretty good percentage of copper cents. 1st and only one I have found in circulation.
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals