"It's Just Sterling"

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"It's Just Sterling"

Postby beauanderos » Sat May 21, 2011 9:40 am

How did sterling silver get a bad rap? It's a higher purity silver 92.5% than junk 90%? So it can't cost more for smelters to refine. What gives? I used to collect Franklin Mint Silver years ago when I first started (2003) thinking that most of those sets got melted down in 79-80, and their scarcity is much higher than people would imagine (and as a means of diversification .90, .925, .999). So then why does sterling sell at a discount when junk does not?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: "It's Just Sterling"

Postby blackrabbit » Sat May 21, 2011 10:41 am

I think it is just the fact that US coins are well known while sterling comes in a myriad of forms which people don't know if they are real or not. I just bought a lot of sterling on e-bay for way under spot but half the weight was plated junk that would have fooled the inexperienced. The seller offered to refund me based on weight that I send back to him so I won't get ripped off and actually will still come out nicely ahead. However, for the inexperienced buying sterling can be a confusing complicated ripoff with all the shady sellers who will sell anything that appears to be sterling silver as such. Hence the discount for most sterling.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat May 21, 2011 11:02 am

blackrabbit wrote:I think it is just the fact that US coins are well known while sterling comes in a myriad of forms which people don't know if they are real or not. I just bought a lot of sterling on e-bay for way under spot but half the weight was plated junk that would have fooled the inexperienced. The seller offered to refund me based on weight that I send back to him so I won't get ripped off and actually will still come out nicely ahead. However, for the inexperienced buying sterling can be a confusing complicated ripoff with all the shady sellers who will sell anything that appears to be sterling silver as such. Hence the discount for most sterling.

You make a good point. But I'm talking mostly about medallions that are of known weight and purity, not silverware or jewelry, etc. When I first started buying I could get medals sets for sometimes 70% of melt, and a friend who ran a coin shop told me they only offered 50% of spot and then sold at a twenty percent discount to spot. Nowadays, of course, you aren't going to find many bargains, even with sterling medals, on ebay.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby coppertone » Mon May 23, 2011 4:39 am

Until several months ago I could buy Canada 1976 Olympic Commemorative coins (sterling) at a discount to 80% and melt value. Could not figure this one out. I even bought one entire set of 28 coins on an E-Bay BIN in December,2010 for 55% of melt value.

I felt these coins were much better value that the .999 or .9999 coins and rounds. The discount has since disappeared and the coins now trade at melt value or slightly above.
coppertone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon May 23, 2011 6:49 am

I dunno, but I'm still buyin' it!!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasTT » Mon May 23, 2011 2:48 pm

I sell sterling at spot including the Olympic sets.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals