Return to the Gold Standard

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Return to the Gold Standard

Postby Slaphot » Wed May 11, 2011 7:59 am

Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Return to the Gold Standard

Postby NHsorter » Wed May 11, 2011 8:23 am

Great link. With all of the FRN's out there right now, how is this even possible? Anyone have a calculation on where this would put the price of gold if this were to happen?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed May 11, 2011 9:26 am

depends on whether you use M1 (FRNs), M2, or M3.

I have seen estimates of the price in dollars from time to time - here is what i recall:1

M1 would be ball park $15,000 an ounce and assuming the U.S. owns the unencumbered gold it claims to own would roughly balance the deficit.

broader definitions of money and the deficit would require a price of somewhere north of $37,000.

fwiw, jim sinclair has suggested that we'll see some sort of loose return to the gold standard where new debt is capped by the amount of gold backing it, but it would not be 100% backed. sinclair has said probably around 40%.

i think something like this will eventually happen but i would not say its imminent.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Thu May 12, 2011 10:25 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:depends on whether you use M1 (FRNs), M2, or M3.

I have seen estimates of the price in dollars from time to time - here is what i recall:1

M1 would be ball park $15,000 an ounce and assuming the U.S. owns the unencumbered gold it claims to own would roughly balance the deficit.

broader definitions of money and the deficit would require a price of somewhere north of $37,000.

fwiw, jim sinclair has suggested that we'll see some sort of loose return to the gold standard where new debt is capped by the amount of gold backing it, but it would not be 100% backed. sinclair has said probably around 40%.

i think something like this will eventually happen but i would not say its imminent.

I thought they quit giving out m3 statistics?
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun May 22, 2011 6:17 am

they did, but M3 can be roughly estimated.

its less relevant these days because so much of what functions as money is outside of M3 - tbills, MBS, CDS, derivatives, etc.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sun May 22, 2011 6:38 am

Lowest possible number would be to base it off current literal printed cash (~$900B) and it's in the neighborhood of $5000/toz for the current alleged US supply. Go beyond that as your definition of money and it gets larger from there.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun May 22, 2011 8:32 am

Great idea and I hope it comes true, but I will believe it when I see it.

Libya's leader was making great strides to establish a gold dinar for the Arab/African sphere just before NATO decided to take him out.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Sun May 22, 2011 4:01 pm

NHsorter wrote:Great link. With all of the FRN's out there right now, how is this even possible? Anyone have a calculation on where this would put the price of gold if this were to happen?

There are only a couple trillion FRNs out there, its the M2 and M3 that gets you!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun May 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Great idea and I hope it comes true, but I will believe it when I see it.

Libya's leader was making great strides to establish a gold dinar for the Arab/African sphere just before NATO decided to take him out.

And thats why they are trying to kill him and not just take all his assets and lock him up. They dont want his ideas spreading.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun May 22, 2011 5:19 pm

68Camaro wrote:Lowest possible number would be to base it off current literal printed cash (~$900B) and it's in the neighborhood of $5000/toz for the current alleged US supply. Go beyond that as your definition of money and it gets larger from there.

that is a great way to think about it.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions