Why aren't halves packaged in clear plastic rolls?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Why aren't halves packaged in clear plastic rolls?

Postby Pennysaved » Mon May 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Maybe this has been asked before.

Quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies can come rolled in clear plastic; however, I have never had halves that were in clear plastic rolls; they are always in paper.

Is there a reason for this?

It would be every half sorters dream come true if they came in clear plastic rolls.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Why aren't halves packaged in clear plastic rolls?

Postby HPMBTT » Mon May 23, 2011 5:48 pm

This is an EXCELLENT question. I've always wondered the same thing. I would assume that it's because halves don't circulate nearly as much as all other denominations; therefore, the FED doesn't even bother with plastic. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I'm looking forward to what other people here have to say.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby merchoarder » Mon May 23, 2011 5:51 pm

I would guess that is a volume issue. My assumption being that not nearly enough halves go through "the system" to warrant the change to plastic wrappers. I actually just today got pennies in plastic, had seen dimes and quarters but not pennies until today. I found them to be a pain in the butt. Hard to open and can't reuse. They are nice for edge checking though and would be great for half hunters. Does anyone know if a special machine is needed to produce these rolls. Is it done by individual banks or larger coin services?
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby doug » Mon May 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Around here Brinks uses plastic on all except halves. I was told that they only have one size plastic tubing for the coins and it is heat shrinked to the coin size.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon May 23, 2011 7:24 pm

Brinks puts out the "coin condoms", but I like them way better than the machine wrapped paper rolls. Not sure about one size of the plastic, but that could be true.

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Pennybug » Mon May 23, 2011 8:07 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:Brinks puts out the "coin condoms", but I like them way better than the machine wrapped paper rolls. Not sure about one size of the plastic, but that could be true.

Deal

He he... practice safe searching everyone! :lol:
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:02 am

merchoarder wrote:I would guess that is a volume issue. My assumption being that not nearly enough halves go through "the system" to warrant the change to plastic wrappers. I actually just today got pennies in plastic, had seen dimes and quarters but not pennies until today. I found them to be a pain in the butt. Hard to open and can't reuse. They are nice for edge checking though and would be great for half hunters. Does anyone know if a special machine is needed to produce these rolls. Is it done by individual banks or larger coin services?

Brinks invented the "sausage" coin wrapper (clear rolls). So every single plastic roll you see Brinsk wrapped.

The reason they don't wrap halves like this is because due to the small volume of halves they have to wrap they didn't spend the extra money to make the machine wrap halves. Halves are normally a pain to wrap so it would have been rather expensive the make each of their machines be able to open up enough to wrap halves.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby camtender » Tue May 24, 2011 1:30 pm

Highroller,

Does Brinks service banks in your area? If so, which ones?
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby OtusLotus » Tue May 24, 2011 11:03 pm

If half dollars were wrapped in plastic, it would put the guy on Ebay selling unsearched rolls for $15 out of business, and that wouldn't be fair!

So in the eyes of the scales of justice, they are wrapped in paper!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 am

camtender wrote:Highroller,

Does Brinks service banks in your area? If so, which ones?

Yes, Brinks is in Oregon but they have a tiny market share. I am not 100% sure what banks they serve but i think BOA is one of their main ones. (I could be wrong though)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby rainsonme » Wed May 25, 2011 11:50 pm

Brinks serves all of the BoA's in the Portland area. Loomis services US Bank and Chase in this area. OAS services Wells, and Wells in turn services many of the small regional banks in the Portland area. Exactly how Wells would move coin, I am not sure, but several of them told me they get their coin from Wells, which was such an odd answer, I didn't question it.

Many tellers will tell you that they get their coins from the Federal Reserve, or they get their coins form "our downtown BoA warehouse", but I don't believe either of those answers are correct. The coins all come form an armored service company, with the possible exception of the small banks that swear Wells provides them with their coin orders.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 25, 2011 11:57 pm

NotABigDeal wrote:Brinks puts out the "coin condoms", but I like them way better than the machine wrapped paper rolls. Not sure about one size of the plastic, but that could be true.

Deal

Brinks Magnums :lol:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals