Toning Question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Toning Question

Postby kidman232 » Mon May 23, 2011 9:54 pm

I have a first year maple leaf still sealed in its protective wrap and yet the coin has toning on the edges and back of the coin. I would assume since this coin was not directly influenced by an elements the toning is coming from sun light exposure that was done on purpose?
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: Toning Question

Postby barrytrot » Mon May 23, 2011 10:23 pm

There are 1,000^2 types of toning. What you mention *could* be the case as could several other things. A picture would help identify.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby kidman232 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:27 pm

sorry if the toning is hard to see from the scans, its on the top of the maple leaf and especially on the sides of the side. The side has like a rainbow effect going on with some robin egg blue colors on the end.

never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed May 25, 2011 4:31 pm

My amateur guess is that it is something in the plastic/cellophane that is causing the toning (possibly being released as the plastic breaks down from either heat, sunlight, or just age -- or perhaps from an impurity that was introduced either during the packaging [i.e. a small amount of moisture/machine lubricant that got into the cello], or an impurity that made its way into a small portion of the plastic itself).
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fusscharles » Mon May 30, 2011 8:09 pm

if you want to trade for a shiny one... pinge me;-)
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby kidman232 » Mon May 30, 2011 9:23 pm

I dont mind toning :) just dont see sealed ones with toning often
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals