Auction Hunters take on getting more money selling PM's

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Auction Hunters take on getting more money selling PM's

Postby cesariojpn » Sat May 21, 2011 4:27 am

Start around 18:00.

According to the "Auction Hunters" logic, since those "fly by night" bullion buyers pay you less since they have to melt down the scrap jewelry and coins, buying a $650 mini-furnace, a blow torch, and a graphite mold and making your own, unverifiable purity silver bars will net you more money in the long run.

Note they use the term "Pure Silver" alot when they melt down the scrap jewelry. Anyone wanna bet a good majority of that stuff is just Sterling?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Auction Hunters take on getting more money selling PM's

Postby Somnophore » Sat May 21, 2011 10:56 am

Don't you have Assay offices in the USA?

If I made something silver I can pay a fee and have it assayed by
the local assay office.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat May 21, 2011 2:22 pm

OMG... what a joke! I hope they don't think that they are teaching anyone anything
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat May 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Bad idea IMHO.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Sat May 21, 2011 8:27 pm

I am sure they know more than what the TV showed. They did have equipment and spoke some knowledge. Its a TV show that is entertaining, not a refining class.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverFossil64 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:59 pm

good show, dumb people the stars
SilverFossil64

Postby Market Harmony » Sun May 22, 2011 8:39 am

I was referring to what they actually said. Like cesario eluded to: you don't need to melt ANYTHING to be paid for scrap. And you don't purify anything by simply melting it.

If you add sugar and water and a tea bag, you would get Sweet Tea... a combination of the 3 things. If you add silver, copper, zinc, nickel, lead, etc together, then guess what... you don't get Sweet Tea, you get an alloy of all those metals as they become elementally bonded together when they are all in the crucible together. They do not separate in a way that you can reclaim any material in pure form. In order to break that alloy bond, you need to process it by chemically reducing (stripping) these elements into individual ions and then reorganizing them so that all the silver is with silver, and the copper with copper, and so on. Or, you can just put all the silver together and forget the rest ;)
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby cesariojpn » Tue May 24, 2011 4:47 am

Market Harmony wrote:I was referring to what they actually said. Like cesario eluded to: you don't need to melt ANYTHING to be paid for scrap. And you don't purify anything by simply melting it.

Exactly. When I saw it, I kinda went "huh, this might be bad." Turns out, it was. I mean honestly, if these two muppets came to a buyer, threw out a bag full of their "T&A Bullion" and tried to haggle the price near melt value, I doubt they'd be able to sell it. At best, they'd be laughed out of the shop!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Tourney64 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:35 am

This is exactly why you want to buy from quality producers, with well known purity standards.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Just in case some people didn't see it, look around 18 minutes in.

http://www.spike.com/full-episodes/dd14 ... n-2-ep-208
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Seems I recall a claim once about metal stratifying some if kept molten for a while. A conical metal plug was shown and the claim was the gold had dropped down to the point of the cone.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals