Have you ever run into your half competitor at the bank?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Have you ever run into your half competitor at the bank?

Postby Pennysaved » Wed May 25, 2011 11:15 pm

I was at a B of A today and there was a guy at the counter picking up his half order; as I walked in, the teller said to the guy there is the other silver guy as I was walking in the bank. He really didnt acknowledge what she said so I could tell he was feeling a little awkward.

I saw he broke the #1 rule of dumping at your pick up bank; he dropped off $500 in rolled halves and picked up 2k in halves.

After he left, I told them I hope there are halves left and they had 1k for me to pick up.

I brought them some M&Ms so of course they said I was their favorite.

I have been doing this for a year and this is the 1st time I have ever run into someone else picking up their order.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Have you ever run into your half competitor at the bank?

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 25, 2011 11:25 pm

I wonder if he is a member here! That would be funny!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rainsonme » Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 pm

I always try to engage the other half hunters I hear about. Whenever a teller tells me someone else is picking up, or dumping, I leave my cell phone number with them, and ask them to pass it on to "other one". They won't of course give me the person's name. Occasionally someone will call me back. And I compare notes with them; how many they pick up, from where, where they dump, etc. I encourage them not to dump into the same pool from which we pick up. When I read on RealCent of someone in the pacific NW, I bug them with IM's for the same general purpose. Compare notes. Tell them what I know. If they are dumping into a pool I pull from, I gently suggest they don't. One of these turned out to be a fellow I had bought some Franklins from at a coin show just a couple weeks before he called me from the note I left the teller. Very nice fellow. I found out he had been leaving CWR of halfs at a BoA bank I had been picking up CWR's from --- with no luck. So, I gained by dropping that 0-yield bank. He gained whatever I told him that was useful, or perhaps comfort in knowing he was not the only one afflicted.

I would encourage you to try to contact them. You already know: 1. they are a little nuts; 2. they are a little paranoid 3. they have some portion of their life and personality in common with you.

Oh, and I met a fellow at a US bank picking up loose pennies. When I saw what he was doing, I engaged him in a conversation. Found out what he was looking for (everthing) how often he does it (weekly) by hand, etc. Now when I go into that bank on saturday for pennies, I always ask if they have a bag for the other guy, 'cause I don't want to take his.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fb101 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:07 am

Two in my area that I've bumped into. (Hello Zerocd, haven't bumped in a while) and we've both bumped into Alex.
Alex not interested in becoming a member last I knew but I think he was a lurker. (Hello!)
Only notes we've compared is that things have gotten VERY tough.
fb101

Postby daviscfad » Thu May 26, 2011 9:00 am

The first time i picked up halves the bank teller ordered me 1000 worth And i went to pick them up and i noticed there was a guy getting some halves i was like WTF! So i went through her line and picked up 500 b.c thats all that was left. come to find out it was her husband buying them. It was awkward like you say.
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby zerocd » Thu May 26, 2011 11:36 am

I came to Realcent due to fb101's introduction one day. I was dumping big pretzel jars into a "Penny Arcade" and this guy from behind me say "there are others..."
Anyone who dumps knows there is a bit of tension and I am laughing right now but was on guard at that moment.

He slipped me the URL and in a short while, I figured out who he was. After that it was all good and yes, haven't seen him in a while and he is right, pickings are slim here. I have stopped for the summer and won't start again until it gets dark early again.

I have met many others and have pretty much passed the word myself. I think I know Alex too.

If fact, this past winter there was tons of searchers, more than I have ever seen.

Probably why silver is so scarce.

0CD
zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Thu May 26, 2011 1:12 pm

zerocd wrote:I came to Realcent due to fb101's introduction one day. I was dumping big pretzel jars into a "Penny Arcade" and this guy from behind me say "there are others..."

0CD

:lol: That is truly hilarious....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Thu May 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Treetop wrote:
zerocd wrote:I came to Realcent due to fb101's introduction one day. I was dumping big pretzel jars into a "Penny Arcade" and this guy from behind me say "there are others..."

0CD

:lol: That is truly hilarious....

Defiantly a good story, lmao. There are others! :lol:
TXBullion

Postby GTOJohn » Thu May 26, 2011 4:44 pm

that is what i tell my wife - its not just me - there are others............. !!!!
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby avidbrandy » Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Haven't run into another yet.

Someone here is only a couple miles from me though. We made sure we weren't interfering with each other.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Thu May 26, 2011 7:58 pm

I don't sort halves myself, but at one of my dump banks for zinc I seem to see the same guy dumping halves a lot of Saturdays. Never talked to him as I know what he's up to but maybe he hasn't figured out what I'm up to yet. I like 25%+ as opposed to <0.5% "win rate" myself.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Thu May 26, 2011 8:05 pm

ed_vantage17 wrote:I don't sort halves myself, but at one of my dump banks for zinc I seem to see the same guy dumping halves a lot of Saturdays. Never talked to him as I know what he's up to but maybe he hasn't figured out what I'm up to yet. I like 25%+ as opposed to <0.5% "win rate" myself.

I do too, but it's a nicer feeling to know that your "win" brings 27x face, rather than 2.7x.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby gojomoso » Thu May 26, 2011 8:37 pm

never run into any (besides my friend who does it too), but from what the tellers tell me there are 5 or 6 in my local area
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby kidman232 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:58 pm

when i go in to my bank and ask if they have any halves or .50 cent pieces for sale, they look at me like im crazy most of the time? any advice, also if they ask why im looking for them, whats better than saying looking for silver lol
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Thu May 26, 2011 9:48 pm

kidman232 wrote:when i go in to my bank and ask if they have any halves or .50 cent pieces for sale, they look at me like im crazy most of the time? any advice, also if they ask why im looking for them, whats better than saying looking for silver lol

Why, you're trying to complete a collection to pass onto your children, of course!

And try to see if they have a coin counter. Do people bring in halves? Could you buy them straight from the machine? Are there other, bigger branches in town that might even be able to order coins for you if you have an account? Do they like chocolate?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby kidman232 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:00 pm

im young, so not sure the kid angle will work, as they probably would barely be walking at this point, no machine in my bank. to be honest i hate my bank, but its really close to my work and convenient. There are not a lot of different banks in my area to go visit, but ill try to give some others a shot I guess.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Thu May 26, 2011 10:25 pm

kidman232 wrote:im young, so not sure the kid angle will work, as they probably would barely be walking at this point, no machine in my bank. to be honest i hate my bank, but its really close to my work and convenient. There are not a lot of different banks in my area to go visit, but ill try to give some others a shot I guess.

I started when I was 14. Say you're building the collection for yourself! Most tellers love to help out a younger sorter. Just watch out. They seem to observe you age faster than that aunt you see only at holidays.
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby kidman232 » Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 pm

how many times a week do u check the same bank?
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Thu May 26, 2011 10:33 pm

kidman232 wrote:how many times a week do u check the same bank?

I'm able to spread my purchases and dumps out over five banks in town. I never visit a bank more than once a week. I know others on the site have much different arrangements, some more and some less favorable than mine, but mine seem to work out just fine.
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Thu May 26, 2011 11:03 pm

Corsair wrote:
kidman232 wrote:im young, so not sure the kid angle will work, as they probably would barely be walking at this point, no machine in my bank. to be honest i hate my bank, but its really close to my work and convenient. There are not a lot of different banks in my area to go visit, but ill try to give some others a shot I guess.

I started when I was 14. Say you're building the collection for yourself! Most tellers love to help out a younger sorter. Just watch out. They seem to observe you age faster than that aunt you see only at holidays.

Wow, Corsair, sounds EXACTLY like me. :shock: :mrgreen:
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Fri May 27, 2011 10:07 am

Roadrunner wrote:
Corsair wrote:

The best news you've heard all day, RR, I'm sure :D.
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Fri May 27, 2011 1:18 pm

Corsair wrote:
Roadrunner wrote:

The best news you've heard all day, RR, I'm sure :D.[/quote]

Hey, at least we've got something in common. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals