Makes me not want to ship anymore......

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Makes me not want to ship anymore......

Postby fusscharles » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:12 pm

So, I made a deal here with someone for a LOW dollar amount of coin, just some extras I had around. I received the cash, mailed the product, and got a message from the board member the bag had been tampered with and there were no coins in the package. Now I packaged this-thing-up-right, and there could not have been any clanking or indication of coinage.
The only thing I can figure is someone at the post office must have scanned it and decided to take a look at what it was. An empty package was all that is left;-(

So I contacted the buyer (who is totally cool with the whole thing), ready to pony up the cash I now owe him. As I was calling, remembered I insured it! So I get on the line with the post office and they give me the low down, that since he actually was in possession of the tampered package, he had to take it to the post office to initiate the claim. So after calling him, we are going to wait to see what the post office does.... if they don't make this straight, I will.

Lets hope "The Man" does the right thing;-)
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Makes me not want to ship anymore......

Postby Corsair » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:42 pm

I did a deal with a member on the forum a few months back for a smaller amount of coins and I never received the package. The seller was more than happy to reimburse me, and we waited. A month or so after, he received an empty package back in the mail. Apparently the box had made its way to Missouri, where a postal employee sliced it open, took the contents, and tossed the box back in the mail. Denny, if you're reading this, I know you work for the USPS, but man, I absolutely, unequivocally hate that damned operation.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:52 pm

fusscharles wrote:we are going to wait to see what the post office does.... if they don't make this straight, I will.

Is someone about to go postal in the post office? ;)
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby chris6084 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Good luck with the insurance. The coverage excludes cash and bullion.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:54 pm

chris6084 wrote:Good luck with the insurance. The coverage excludes cash and bullion.

Let us know how this turns out for you. Ive heard that you can and cant. I have sent registered with insurance so Im not sure if that excludes but thankfully have not tested the waters with USPS
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby PennyPauper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:05 pm

You might make out better if you file the claim online.Not sure about details,but remember reading sometimes it's easier that way.And don't say it was coins or money,just say collectibles or spare computer parts,anything but cash equivalents.
It amazes me that someone is willing to risk criminal charges and losing a job over opening a package when they don't know the contents.
Is it not considered government property while it is being delivered?
But people love to take chances.Maybe the offender feels they might be out of a job soon so its worth the risk.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/cont ... laint.aspx

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/mlntrcvd.aspx

Section 13.411. Tampering with mail.
Tampering with mail is wilfully opening, destroying, damaging, or taking into possession without the express or implied consent of the sender or addressee a postcard, letter, package, envelope or parcel entrusted by the sender to another for delivery to a third person. This section does not apply to a person employed by a postal, government, or private courier service who acts in good faith in performance of his official duties. Tampering with mail is a category three misdemeanor.

Good luck,hope it works out for both of you.
Last edited by PennyPauper on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 pm

PennyPauper wrote:You might make out better if you file the claim online.Not sure about details,but remember reading sometimes it's easier that way.And don't say it was coins or money,just say collectibles or spare computer parts,anything but cash equivalents.

yeah according to bullion direct, with USPS only registered mail will cover silver or gold with insurance. unless some third party was the insurer, like apmex and others use I believe.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Regular USPS insurance does not cover coins or bullion. Registered mail does. Most bullion companies use Lloyd's of London for shipping insurance, there aren't many (any?) others that want to deal with it.
natsb88

Postby Morsecode » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:14 pm

I was the buyer here. If it's true that they don't insure coins I'll come up with something plausible.

I couldn't believe it when I reached into my mailbox and came out with a neatly cut open package. Sucks for everyone. I get a lot of packages here, and never had a problem. I usually only opt for insurance if the value exceeds a couple hundred bucks, but that may be changing.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby franklin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Not to muddy the waters but... when I had delivered mail stolen from my rural mailbox, the postal officials all told me the same thing: If it was placed in my mailbox, their responsibility was completed and it would not be investigated since it was then my property. Only when mail I had put in my mailbox for pickup was stolen would the postal inspectors get involved.
My delivery guy puts an official sticky on any damaged mail I get that indicates it was that way when he received it for delivery that morning.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:49 pm

There are ways to make it pretty tamper proof

Anyone that has received packages from me knows what I am talking about :-)

I always wrap the coin like a present within a present and using a plain paper bag and use tons of tape; good luck getting in there :-)

I know it is a pain when someone gets it in the mail when they have to go to open it.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby adagirl » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:41 pm

What do you guys think of shipping via UPS? Yes it is more expensive but every package is automatically insured for up to $100 at no cost. Arguably their tracking system is better...
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby fusscharles » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:18 pm

I like to ship fedex on stuff over $500... It is the best shipping company out there
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:25 pm

Neither UPS nor FedEx insurance covers coins or bullion.
natsb88

Postby rainsonme » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:22 am

I was the shipper that corsair mentioned eariler in this thread. I was shipping low grade buffalos and V-nickels. To keep cost down, I did not insure, and I used the postal box method. *&^%$#@! The pacakage never arrived at the destination, and eventually I got back the top fo the box, cleanly cut, with a form to fill out for the postmaster in St. Louis. I filled it out; mailed it in, and never heard another word. It would have been a very good deal for Corsair, I threw in an extra roll, and made sure the other rolls all had mixed dates, etc. But it turned out being a very bad deal for me, as I gave away about 9 rolls of nickels to some postal worker in St. Louis who probably spent them for a six of Bud.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fusscharles » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:39 am

natsb88 wrote:Neither UPS nor FedEx insurance covers coins or bullion.

Will they insure collectable coins?
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:03 am

fusscharles wrote:

No, as far as I have been able to find, the only carrier insurance that will cover coins and bullion is USPS Registered Mail.
natsb88

Postby gojomoso » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:02 pm

natsb88 wrote:
fusscharles wrote:

No, as far as I have been able to find, the only carrier insurance that will cover coins and bullion is USPS Registered Mail.

but ups and fedex are easier and seem quite a bit safer anyways, how does UPS flat rate boxes compare to USPS?
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:24 pm

UPS has much better tracking, but they are MUCH MUCH rougher on packages. I didn't know they had flat rate, but 10 seconds on Google brought up a FAQ page with this:

UPS is not liable for loss or damage for a Flat Rate Box shipment. You may declare a value for the package up to a maximum of $500.00, for an additional charge. If you declare a value, UPS's liability will not exceed the value declared in the event of loss or damage.

I seriously doubt they can beat $11 for 70 pounds to anywhere in the 50 states with 2-3 day delivery.
natsb88

Postby TXBullion » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:11 pm

And like natsb88 said, some of the other carriers will use UPS that will insure but it is done by a third party (Lloyds of London)
TXBullion

Postby kidman232 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:09 pm

someone might not have searched your package, if your mailer accidently went through a sorting machine, it might have gotten ripped up by the machine and the contents of the package just go spilling out. I have dealt with shipping in bubble mailers for years when it came to buying/selling sports cards and have run into it numerous times with packages arriving beat up or ripped with missing or mangled cards inside it.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby fusscharles » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:27 pm

This was not a rip... It was a slit according to mc
fusscharles
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm glad I read this thread! Didn't know about the "no coins or bullion" clause in the USPS insurance :o
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals