"Junk" ASE....with a catch.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"Junk" ASE....with a catch.

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:53 am

I find it laughable he "promotes honesty and integrity" yet implies "I don't care if your bid is the lowest, I can null that bid and jack it up to the days current silver spot price."

http://cgi.ebay.com/Junk-2002-American- ... 1e64519f32

Also, illegal under eBay rules?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: "Junk" ASE....with a catch.

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:00 am

dude's way off base...avoid.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:08 am

"I will only sell this if it meets my secret reserve price, without actually having to pay a reserve listing fee..."

Old seller trick.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby daviscfad » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:06 am

wow he should be reported. i am surprised he has gotten away with this
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:20 am

daviscfad wrote:wow he should be reported. i am surprised he has gotten away with this

I clicked on report this listing and Ebay said they would look into it.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:43 am

If I won it and he didn't sell he would get a big negative.

What would happen if spot suddenly dropped the day of the sale, do I get to back out of the sale?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:04 pm

Just placed that seller on my watch-list for scoundrels.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:13 pm

He has too much history for this to be a scam, unless he got hacked. What's up here?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:36 pm

The item may have been pulled due to a complaint, but I have a hard time understanding the complaints, no matter whether the listing literally follows ebay rules. He clearly states that he has a reserve, the difference with a normal ebay reserve is that it is a somewhat floating reserve that follows silver spot price. What's devious about that? Nothing. It's clear as a bell.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:50 pm

68Camaro wrote:The item may have been pulled due to a complaint, but I have a hard time understanding the complaints, no matter whether the listing literally follows ebay rules. He clearly states that he has a reserve, the difference with a normal ebay reserve is that it is a somewhat floating reserve that follows silver spot price. What's devious about that? Nothing. It's clear as a bell.

From --http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-reserve.html
Stating a reserve price for an item when the reserve price feature wasn't used when listing the item.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:05 pm

68Camaro wrote:The item may have been pulled due to a complaint, but I have a hard time understanding the complaints, no matter whether the listing literally follows ebay rules. He clearly states that he has a reserve, the difference with a normal ebay reserve is that it is a somewhat floating reserve that follows silver spot price. What's devious about that? Nothing. It's clear as a bell.

I'm on board with this opinion.

But, e-bay is the wrong place for this. It's just not set up for it. The seller is risking a good rating in exchange for pulling a weird gimmick.

Not unethical or wrong though.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Treetop » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:48 pm

i dont get the problem either. Its just weird.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:51 pm

He'll probably just have people bidding it up from spot in the final minute.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:29 pm

I wrote him, telling that the listing was unfair to the buyer because the buyer didn't have the chance to back out if spot falls.

He apologized and pulled the listing.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby daviscfad » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:32 pm

The biggest problem is if he wants to sell at spot he needs to list it at spot and revise his item if it goes up or down. If i win a 1909svdb for 300 with no reserve i dont want to read in the listing that if it dont sell for 1000 then i am keeping it. That is why ebay has buy it nows and reserves. I realize the fees suck but if your using there auction house then you should play by their rules.
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:31 pm

* Seller posts auction for dinged-up ASE.
* Seller lists it at 99 cents.
* Seller adds in auction description that if the bidding doesn't reach the current days spot price, he has the right to ignore the LEGALLY CONTRACTING BID in favor of the spot price.
* eBay has mechanisms (for a fee) that a seller can use to get the price they want. By not using them, seller is violating eBay rules. Also, Seller runs afoul of other eBay rules, including but not limited to fee avoidance.

What part of the auction do you believe is kosher again?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Actually, this listing aside, I think it would be a nice feature of any auction site to have a reserve of "spot at time of close". That would be a reasonable feature.

Then a side feature would be to bid "spot time X%" as well.

It would convert both of these on the fly to compete with "raw dollar" bids.

I think that would be a nice feature. Although, of course, the down side is that people aren't super smart :)
barrytrot

Postby slickeast » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:07 pm

Tell the guy that you will bid, but if you win and the price is above spot, you have the right to retract your bid.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:03 pm

cesariojpn wrote:

* Seller posts auction for dinged-up ASE.
* Seller lists it at 99 cents.
* Seller adds in auction description that if the bidding doesn't reach the current days spot price, he has the right to ignore the LEGALLY CONTRACTING BID in favor of the spot price.
* eBay has mechanisms (for a fee) that a seller can use to get the price they want. By not using them, seller is violating eBay rules. Also, Seller runs afoul of other eBay rules, including but not limited to fee avoidance.

What part of the auction do you believe is kosher again?

The part where he has clearly and legally modified any other implied contract, in writing, in advance, in clearly understandable terms. Ebay rules don't constitute law, they are just rules.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby slickeast » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:04 pm

If he wants a certain price, set a reserve.

Who do you think e-bay is going to back if he didn't pull the listing? The seller would lose. He would probably get a warning from e-bay about rules and policies for listing an item. Once you list an item you are saying that you agree to e-bays rules. This guy is adding his own rules to the auction.

These are just my thoughts and opinions, not backed by facts.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:18 pm

slickeast wrote:If he wants a certain price, set a reserve.

Who do you think e-bay is going to back if he didn't pull the listing? The seller would lose. He would probably get a warning from e-bay about rules and policies for listing an item. Once you list an item you are saying that you agree to e-bays rules. This guy is adding his own rules to the auction.

These are just my thoughts and opinions, not backed by facts.

He did set a reserve, a reserve that floats with the price of spot silver. That is novel, and may bother people because it isn't fixed, and can't be pre-set, but it is clear, it is above-board, and it is indisputably calculable at time of auction end.

I realize that ebay rules can't handle that. I realize that this goes outside their rules. But rules are rules, not law, and rules can be arbitrary, and ebay rules are in fact often arbitrary and for the convenience of ebay and not the buyer or seller.

The primary question was, I think, is there something inherently illegal, unmoral, unethical, with this. The answer to that would be no.

That said, ebay won't tolerate this. But I like the idea of it.
68Camaro

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:20 am

68Camaro wrote:The part where he has clearly and legally modified any other implied contract, in writing, in advance, in clearly understandable terms. Ebay rules don't constitute law, they are just rules.

Last I checked, he's on eBay, and if he doesn't follow THEIR RULES, he's in violation. If he wants to do that sort of thing, he does it elsewhere.

Much like this site. I have to follow the rules, and if I violate "teh rules" then I get punished.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oldpagan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Good luck getting ebay to do anything
Oldpagan

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals