The Cayman Islands

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The Cayman Islands

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 pm

So I have this really terrible job and I have to go to the Cayman Islands every July for an annual fund meeting. The trip is coming up soon and I was wondering if there are any coins I should look for. Never thought to check before joining realcent. Wikipedia says that their coins from 1972 to 1991 were cupronickel. Previous to 1972, they used the Jamaican dollar. Of course both islands are part of the British Commonwealth. Don't think there are going to be any Ag coins in the wild.

I've been there 5 times before. This will be the first time for Mrs. shinnosuke to join me. I can hear you all saying, "Ah, yes, there's a good lad."
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: The Cayman Islands

Postby merchoarder » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:16 am

shinnosuke wrote:So I have this really terrible job and I have to go to the Cayman Islands every July for an annual fund meeting.

Sounds rough :lol: Took a quick look at Krause and looks like not much for you as expected. No silver other than proof coins. One cents appear to be bronze before 1990. They do have some cool commems though. Apparently they used Jamaican money until 1972.
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby merchoarder » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:23 am

shinnosuke wrote: Previous to 1972, they used the Jamaican dollar. Of course both islands are part of the British Commonwealth. Don't think there are going to be any Ag coins in the wild.

"

Oops, guess I missed that, past my bed time :lol:
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cerulean » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:10 am

1 cent, 1972-1991, bronze, 2.88g, melt 206% of face... SAVE!
1 cent, 1992-present, copper-plated steel, 2.54g, melt 11% of face.
5 cents, 1972-1991, copper-nickel, 2.25g, melt 42% of face.
5 cents, 1992-present, nickel plated steel, 2.0g, melt 2% of face.
10 cents, 1972-1991, copper-nickel, 3.92g, melt 37% of face.
10 cents, 1992-present, nickel plated steel, 3.43g, melt 2% of face.
25 cents, 1972-1991, copper-nickel, 5.7g, melt 21% of face.
25 cents, 1992-present, nickel-plated steel, 5.1g, melt 1% of face.
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:34 am

There's a coin shop by Georgetown. Last year he let go of some us silver below melt. I'm not sure of the name though. Also, don't bother looking for the cayman gold exchange. They have a lot of signage around the island because their is no brick and mortar location so don't waste your time lol
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks for the comments/info guys.

Alright!! Sorting pennies in my room in the Caymans! Mrs. shinnosuke is gonna love it. Hey, any realcenters live in the Caymans? Where's a good place to dump?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:09 am

You might pose as a wealthy American business owner and open an account "offshore" to protect your millions from Uncle Sugar taxation. Tell them you only have a ton of zincs, dimes, and halves to get the account open and you'll wire the rest when you get back to the states. ;)

Have a blast with the Mrs. while in country---dance, dine, beachcomb, shop, sitesee, and(almost forgot)-------Sort! :)
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks sparechange. We intend to have good time on both sides of the business meetings.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby oktyabyr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Lots of great fun. Cheapest places to eat are the little stands off the roads. Try the turtle burgers, they're great!
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:39 pm

oktyabyr wrote:Lots of great fun. Cheapest places to eat are the little stands off the roads. Try the turtle burgers, they're great!

I would have to think they would have quite a "snap" to them! :lol:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby psi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:00 pm

I keep finding Cayman Islands 10 cent coins in my nickel rolls, turns out they are actually worth about 12 cents! It appears they just peg to the US dollar at around 1.20 more or less. Wish I could say the same for the Jamaican 1 dollar and 5 dollar coins I keep finding.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:26 pm

psi wrote:I keep finding Cayman Islands 10 cent coins in my nickel rolls, turns out they are actually worth about 12 cents! It appears they just peg to the US dollar at around 1.20 more or less. Wish I could say the same for the Jamaican 1 dollar and 5 dollar coins I keep finding.

Yep, they take the US dollar everywhere in the Caymans. But they give you Cayman dollars in change. It sure feels like I get shorted everytime I pay in USD. :?

How many have you collected so far?
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:45 pm

This last box had 6, not sure how many I have elsewhere in the house but there would be a few more in ziplocs of random foreign coins I found. There are a lot of people in Toronto from the Carribean so it's pretty common to find coins from Barbados, Bahamas, Trinidad, East Carribbean States, etc as well. I always assumed they would most likely all be worth less than the same sized Canadian coin though.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals