Turning in bagged coins -Does it have to be even full amount

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Turning in bagged coins -Does it have to be even full amount

Postby Pennysaved » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:04 am

I was turning in a bag of halves at a Chase and was turning in $990;

I had found 6 90% JFKs and 14 40% JFKs :-)

Unfortunately when I bagged the coins I did not have $10 in halves with me to make the bag a full $1000

However, I figured since I knew there was $990 that it wouldnt be an issue; I have turned bags in like that at Wells and never had an issue

I've turned in bag coins at this branch before and even had the verbal ok from the manager to turn in coin.

When I took it in the Chase to turn it in, the teller told me that they cannot turn in partial bags and it had to be a full even amount; I had to have 1k exactly in the bag; he went to verify this with the vault teller.

I noticed he had $10 of halves in his tray and asked him if I could just buy those and rebag the halves; I had an extra bag out in the car; he then went back to the vault teller to ask them if that would be ok (not sure why?); he came back and said that yes that would be fine.

I went out to the car and transferred them to the other bag and put the additional $10 in there.

I was calm during the whole thing and was nice to him about it; just seemed like a waste of time to me since I knew the amount in the bag and had written $990 on it.

The bags say not to turn in over 1k in halves but doesn't say it has to be an even full amount.

Do you guys know what the policy is? I figure they are mistaken since other banks have let me turn in less than 1k or less than $500 in a coin lock bag before.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Turning in bagged coins -Does it have to be even full am

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:36 am

rather than getting steamed, in my opinion they did you a favor.

default rule at most banks is to deposit in even amounts - they are printed on most bags. a few banks don't care but its probably for coins they think they'll get in to fill the bag, like cents or quarters, and probably only banks that have their own cointing machine in the back.

i only deal with the vault teller - always get in her line.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:51 am

It's up to each bank, but it's pretty standard practice to only deal with full bags.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:56 am

In my opinion money is money and there is no room for variance on your end or theirs.

If you went to the bank and got a roll of quarters and found a dollar missing would you be upset and feel cheated? The same is true with bags.
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:08 pm

It is up to the vault teller to decide what goes into their vault. Their vault, their rules. Play nice with them and maybe they will not grow tired of dealing with the heavy bags of coins as fast.

My best supply bank cut me off entirely. Somehow the tiniest teller always got stuck with the job of carrying out my bags of halves. Now they refuse to order halves for me even if I were to pay a premium.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:39 am

Copper Catcher wrote:In my opinion money is money and there is no room for variance on your end or theirs.

If you went to the bank and got a roll of quarters and found a dollar missing would you be upset and feel cheated? The same is true with bags.

Well I didnt short the back; I put on the bag it had $991 so I put the exact amount on the bag

I didnt know it had to be an even $1k to turn in a bag since I have had a couple of Wells allow me to turn in partial bags as long as I knew the amount in there
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:44 am

It all depends on the banks policies. If you send in a bag that is not a full amount the bank than has to pay an extra fee to get the coin processed.

Typically full or half bags are best to turn in.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:33 pm

generally banks deposit them into the bank's account with the Fed, and its the Fed who requires even amounts. so if you don't top it off, the bank has to. now, a few banks deal with enough coin to do that, but they are by far the exception rather than the rule.

of all the unreasonable things banks do, requiring a full bag is way down on the list.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals