25 SILVER TREASURE COINS OF THE CARIBBEAN

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

25 SILVER TREASURE COINS OF THE CARIBBEAN

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:44 pm

I found a guy locally that is selling the following for 500 bucks:

25 SILVER TREASURE COINS OF THE CARIBBEAN UNCIRCULATED... This set is distributed by the Franklin Mint, Each coin weighs about .635 troy.oz Sterling Silver -

It looks to me like about 15 oz of silver. What would you guys pay for this? I just want to make sure that I don't overpay. I hope to be able to trade it for something more "Mainstream" (90% or eagles) in the future as this is not something that I really want to keep. What would your typical coin shop give you for something like this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm off to fire up the Ryedale.....
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: 25 SILVER TREASURE COINS OF THE CARIBBEAN

Postby Somnophore » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Offer spot minus 10-15%
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Country » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:20 pm

These are nice coins from the British Virgin Islands in 1985. Each coin is Sterling SILVER and cointains .5974 ASW. The full set of 25 coins will contain 14.935 ASW, $543.63 at $36.40 SILVER spot. They come in blue presentation boxes w/COLA. The initial distribution of the first 25 set was an 11 coins set. Each coin originally was in a separate dark brown Franklin Mint cardboard packaging with the coin in the center enclosed in plastic. Some of these sets have been handled and may have fingerprints, other sets come in the original Franklin Mint packaging.

Depending on condition, they might be a good buy. But, they are foreign SILVER and dealers will only buy these at discount. Resale on EBAY faces some competition. So, it depends on whether you are putting them away or looking for a quick profit. It might be wise to haggle on the price. Regardless, they are beautiful coins and they are all Sterling proofs commemorating the history of BVI.
Last edited by Country on Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby CardsNCoins » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:49 pm

CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Country » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:12 pm

That was a good snipe. These sets sell for $450 to $550. At $600, they don't sell on EBAY.

If you can get this set for $450 or less, IMO it would be a good deal. Haggle with the guy selling the set.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:41 pm

You guys are the best! I feel like I should be paying for this info. Thank you.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals