strong dollar, weak....

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

strong dollar, weak....

Postby gojomoso » Mon May 16, 2011 2:10 pm

since the dollars getting stronger the price for commodities is going down, does that mean we could see a goodly sized drop in the price of silver/gold/copper/etc. as the economy gets better?
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Re: strong dollar, weak....

Postby Pennysaved » Mon May 16, 2011 2:40 pm

I don't think the dollar will strenghten for long.

Did you see today that we technically hit the debt ceiling? How could that be strong for the dollar long term?

Either we default or print more $$$; don't think either of those will strengthen the dollar.

I think either scenario will be bullish for PMs.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby brian0918 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:37 pm

What makes you think the economy is going to get better? Does a heroin addict get better by shooting up more? He might feel better for a little while, but in the long-run he's going to be worse off as a result.
"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master." -- Ayn Rand
brian0918
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby gojomoso » Mon May 16, 2011 5:06 pm

Pennysaved wrote:Either we default or print more $$$; don't think either of those will strengthen the dollar.

well technically we don't "print" more money, the gov't really just pulls it out of thin air

but this is just a hypothetical question
IF the dollar gets stronger could we not see a major dip in silver prices?
"No, Seriously Officer, it's all coins"

SELLING COINS, PENNY/SILVER SORTERS, CANVAS BAGS, AND OTHER RANDOM THINGS!!!!!!
http://gojomoso.weebly.com/
gojomoso
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Mon May 16, 2011 5:47 pm

gojomoso wrote:since the dollars getting stronger the price for commodities is going down, does that mean we could see a goodly sized drop in the price of silver/gold/copper/etc. as the economy gets better?

Yes. Some will debate the structural issue of the USD (Which, by design, isn't going to improve over the very long term) and miss the market focus on asset liquidation, interest rate structure changes (huge FX flows) coupled with emerging markets rolling over and doing a belly-flop, killing the current commodity demand cycle. The USD is not dead nor is the primary reserve currency status, at least not for now. Some small diversification away, but USD is the primary global reserve currency of choice, maybe not for small players, but BIS level institutions.
I see a whole school of minnows about to be swallowed whole. Perhaps I'll be 100% wrong, but something tells me otherwise.
The USD recovery cycle will be the Realcent Black Swan event.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Mon May 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
gojomoso wrote:since the dollars getting stronger the price for commodities is going down, does that mean we could see a goodly sized drop in the price of silver/gold/copper/etc. as the economy gets better?

Yes. Some will debate the structural issue of the USD (Which, by design, isn't going to improve over the very long term) and miss the market focus on asset liquidation, interest rate structure changes (huge FX flows) coupled with emerging markets rolling over and doing a belly-flop, killing the current commodity demand cycle. The USD is not dead nor is the primary reserve currency status, at least not for now. Some small diversification away, but USD is the primary global reserve currency of choice, maybe not for small players, but BIS level institutions.
I see a whole school of minnows about to be swallowed whole. Perhaps I'll be 100% wrong, but something tells me otherwise.

curious.... do you see this as a shorter term thing? Like lets say a few months to a year? Or as the actual direction for the dollars ultimate future....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:

Haven't been here in a while due to work and the newborn baby etc. Came across this post and gave some pause...
Black swans are swimming?

Cheers
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:11 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:

Haven't been here in a while due to work and the newborn baby etc. Came across this post and gave some pause...
Black swans are swimming?

Cheers

Nice to have you back JFF. Do you mean that black swans are swimming in the USD or your post? Not sure if I was understanding it right.
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Not sure what Jon meant, interested to hear the clarification.

But as far as USD, I have little doubt that the Euro will crash before the USD does, which will drive the USD up. For a time. But only for a time.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:26 pm

68Camaro wrote:Not sure what Jon meant, interested to hear the clarification.

But as far as USD, I have little doubt that the Euro will crash before the USD does, which will drive the USD up. For a time. But only for a time.

And at what point will we be sold a world currency as the means of stabilizing the forex craziness?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:08 pm

short the german stock market. As soon as the new mark appears, buy into it.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals