Are you buying silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Are you buying silver?

Postby barrytrot » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:51 am

neilgin1 wrote:great posts, there are some really fine minds on this forum...for sure.

@RR guy, i see your picture now, and preface my last post in humility. i've only been buying silver coinage since Feb of 2008, though i been either trading and involved in commodity markets(ag and energy) since 1981. But i had no idea your involvement in coinage and/or metals, and i'm assuming your knowledge base is vast. That said, when i read your return post, a couple things to mind. i'm not a wealthy man, i'm not a poor man, i have exactly what i need. From what you wrote, extensive holdings of PM's at 5% of your wealth?...cazart! older brother, you got some wealth. IF IT WAS ME, given my assessment of how bad and going to worse things are, i'd slash and burn my way up to 50% physical PM holdings in your possession, fully mindful of any gummit tomchicanery which could include both confiscation and/or making private ownership of pms illegal, i would not put it past them. That exactly the reason they made backhoes, concrete, rebar and large steel culverts to be sunk in said trench.

people tell me i'm paranoid...i just smile, nod my head and pray they never have to clutch a govt ration coupon book waiting in a block long line.

the only other two trades i like, is wood and water, put 30% in to that, buy a place with a county seat no more than 4k in population, make sure its got a NICE extensive woodlot, tillable ground and spring water.

the other 20%, put into the damn FRN's and other paper investments, maybe solid common stock, oil, pharma, mickeydee's, just for appearance sakes. Personally i dont trust ANY paper, either FRNS, T-notes and bonds, whether they be 90 day, 2, 5, 10, 30 year stuff, and especially i dont trust these ETF's.....i KNOW these guy$, know their games, their greed, their myopic selfish nature, and they are running towards ruin...trouble is a lot of innocent folk are going to be hurting, thats the crime. Because to he who has been given much, much will be expected, and in the halls of leadership, of commerce, most of these men have failed the commonweal.

thats just me, that's the mix i would do, had i 7 to 9 digit wealth...in my small scale, i've done that mix, and will continue as such.

This doesn't make sense at the 7 digit level, let alone the 9 digit (100 million) level :)

Having "safety reserves" can easily be done for well under a million. For the rest of it invest in methods you feel will appreciate if the economy stays around. If it doesn't then owning land that you can't personally defend with your own guns is worthless anyway.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:58 am

barrytrot wrote:This doesn't make sense at the 7 digit level, let alone the 9 digit (100 million) level :)

Having "safety reserves" can easily be done for well under a million. For the rest of it invest in methods you feel will appreciate if the economy stays around. If it doesn't then owning land that you can't personally defend with your own guns is worthless anyway.

Hmmm. Seems to make a lot of sense at the 7 digit level, to me. 50% PM, 20% paper, leaves 300K to buy a farm etc with. I could easily burn that amount, by the time I provision it.

I would be happy to have the 8 digit or 9 digit problem to worry about, but I don't. ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:33 pm

barrytrot wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:great posts, there are some really fine minds on this forum...for sure.

@RR guy, i see your picture now, and preface my last post in humility. i've only been buying silver coinage since Feb of 2008, though i been either trading and involved in commodity markets(ag and energy) since 1981. But i had no idea your involvement in coinage and/or metals, and i'm assuming your knowledge base is vast. That said, when i read your return post, a couple things to mind. i'm not a wealthy man, i'm not a poor man, i have exactly what i need. From what you wrote, extensive holdings of PM's at 5% of your wealth?...cazart! older brother, you got some wealth. IF IT WAS ME, given my assessment of how bad and going to worse things are, i'd slash and burn my way up to 50% physical PM holdings in your possession, fully mindful of any gummit tomchicanery which could include both confiscation and/or making private ownership of pms illegal, i would not put it past them. That exactly the reason they made backhoes, concrete, rebar and large steel culverts to be sunk in said trench.

people tell me i'm paranoid...i just smile, nod my head and pray they never have to clutch a govt ration coupon book waiting in a block long line.

the only other two trades i like, is wood and water, put 30% in to that, buy a place with a county seat no more than 4k in population, make sure its got a NICE extensive woodlot, tillable ground and spring water.

the other 20%, put into the damn FRN's and other paper investments, maybe solid common stock, oil, pharma, mickeydee's, just for appearance sakes. Personally i dont trust ANY paper, either FRNS, T-notes and bonds, whether they be 90 day, 2, 5, 10, 30 year stuff, and especially i dont trust these ETF's.....i KNOW these guy$, know their games, their greed, their myopic selfish nature, and they are running towards ruin...trouble is a lot of innocent folk are going to be hurting, thats the crime. Because to he who has been given much, much will be expected, and in the halls of leadership, of commerce, most of these men have failed the commonweal.

thats just me, that's the mix i would do, had i 7 to 9 digit wealth...in my small scale, i've done that mix, and will continue as such.

This doesn't make sense at the 7 digit level, let alone the 9 digit (100 million) level :)

I disagree. Owning productive farmland is preferable in just about any scenarion I can envision. You just have to possess the knowledge and wherewithall to make it work. And if the worst case scenario does occur, armed security can be purchased like any other good or service. Personally, I think Rawls' "Golden Hoard" theory is a little unrealistic. How many people do you know that can make it 100 miles on foot?

Now concerning silver, I'm happy I bought a few small lots off of Ebay last evening since Ag seems to be bouncing off of the $34 support level nicely. I've had this strange attraction to Franklin halves recently. . .
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jasmatk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:42 pm

does a bear [shucks] in the woods?
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 pm

jasmatk wrote:does a bear [shucks] in the woods?

Only if you hear/see him. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:09 pm

@harry trot, i respect your opinion, but friend, the number of times, folks told him me, "you're wrong", later to recant, are numerous, stretching all the way back to my days in naval intel, in the futures mkt, to now, when we stand on the precipice of a world turned upside, a world operating under the delusion of infinite growth, which defies every known principle of the physical.

though i dont have 7 digit net, i do with my "net" exactly the same, except for tweaks and other endevours not appropriate to discuss on a public forum..

i am certain WTHIN the next ten years America will finally know food insuffiency, and that is sad, because many people will suffer. i, in the past, have known food insuffiency, what it means to have my literal survival backed against a wall, therefore i am adamatine on my course of action. Hence if everyone agreed with me, i would get worried. If everybodies zigging, i'll be zagging.

later add: i dont own guns and i dont own silver, i deny as such.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals