Home... the Movie

Feel free to post your economic, business and political news, reports, and predictions concerning the U.S., Canadian, and world economy here. Please keep threads and posts on-topic.

Re: Home... the Movie

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:59 pm

beauanderos wrote:I loved the photography in the movie, what I did not care for was the simpering tone of the moderator when she mentioned the growing disparity between those who work, invest, and generate wealth... and those who just subsist, as if that is somehow the fault of the industrious few. The Earth cannot support the needs of the overpopulated masses (due to logistics) and I would speculate that some type of mass die off will ensue... happens all the time with various species when the ecology is out of kilter. The focus on Nigeria only proves that there are regions where some type of birth control should be mandatory, but of course that would never happen. :shock:

Well, we had birth control for eons until man interfered. Small pox, influenza, you can name a whole host of bad things that killed most people born before they made it to the age of four. I am glad man did. I would not be here if not.

My daughter spent 8 weeks in Uganda. There they do not bother to even name their babies until around the age of four. Too many die before that, even today.

Africa has a new, hard to stop form of birth control... AIDS!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:54 am

68Camaro wrote:
Country wrote:Using Carlin as a resource is ludicrous. The movie clearly points out that unless we humans change, we will become extinct rather quickly. As this dead comedian points out, Mother Earth will protect herself, but it is the human race that will be one of those species he says will disapppear each year unless we humans curtail our raping of our Earth.

Carlin's viewpoint (dead or not, comedian or not) is just as valid as that of any other. He's not a "resource" but he has an opinion, a valid opinion, and in part he uses satire to make points.

I think Carlin is agreeing with you, in that humanity will eventually disappear. I don't agree completely with Carlin, but I think his lack of panic over the rape (and I won't use quotes, because it's real - the difference is that I view the earth as fundamentally self-healing, in general) of the earth is well grounded.

I also realize this is a very emotional issue for many people. I have zero interest in debating it. You will not change my mind, I won't change yours. So let's just agree to disagree on this one.

Bully!

You saved me the hassle of writing up what you just wrote.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:21 am

At the very least the U.S. could require sterilization in order to get food stamps. Snip snip.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:27 am

scrapper2010 wrote:At the very least the U.S. could require sterilization in order to get food stamps. Snip snip.

I would be happy If they just drug tested the folks here in the US. I am tired of my taxes being funneled into illegal drugs for the poor.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:46 am

scrapper2010 wrote:At the very least the U.S. could require sterilization in order to get food stamps. Snip snip.

I like this idea. I know at least two female coworkers who go on and on about wanting to get pregnant again, one already has six and is on food stamps despite having three part-time jobs, the other has six and hasn't made a house payment for two years despite holding down two full-time jobs.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby whatsnext » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:12 pm

This post is completely unaltered.
Last edited by whatsnext on Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:39 pm

The final solution.... What are we now, neo-Nazis.

Based upon the responses I have seen, we are going down. Mother Earth is going to get her revenge by quickly making the self-centered human race extinct.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:

I would be happy If they just drug tested the folks here in the US. I am tired of my taxes being funneled into illegal drugs for the poor.

Let's make the drugs legal. I thought most here are for smaller government. The last thing we need is more government.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Human kind should be self-centered, and we should always act in our own self-interest. If that means tripping all over ourselves to save a snail (that might have cancer curing properties) or clubbing baby fur seals, which I think is awful personally, than humankind should WISELY exploit whatever resource is available.

Mother earth is a wild bitch that needs to be tamed wherever possible.

You gotta whup that ______ or the _____is gonna whup you.

That's why I have to paint the south end of my house every three years.

Good idea, really, legalize the drugs and ban food stamps. I could be elected governor of AZ on that platform.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Thogey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:05 pm

One more thing.

Humankind will screw it up no matter how hard we try not to, that is a fact, so relax.
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:40 am

Despite the overall conservatism of people here (and exception even to that), there are still a number of world-views represented by forum members. Two extremes are these:

• Those that view "Mother Earth" as a literal being - the earth itself and all its contents to be worshiped and any environmental abuse a personal offense with justice to be exacted from humanity.

• Those that just tolerate the term "Mother Earth" as a tongue-in-cheek expression for the creation, it having a real and true creator above it, who gave stewardship of the creation to humanity, who already knows the end, the method of the end, and all in between.

Which of these two you believe will drive your attitude toward the environment.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Country » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:30 am

A third extreme has been expressed by posters:

The Earth is ours to exploit, the ramifications of which is that the Earth will heal itself no matter what exploitations ensue. This thinking allows the human race to plunder the Earth at will without restraint of consequence.

The indiginous Indian had the balance between nature and man in balance. The rapacious part of the human race destroyed their culture and plundered their land destroying that symbiotic relationship. The plundering continues today. From whatever prespective you have, the human race may soon not be a part of this world if this continues without restraint.
Last edited by Country on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:37 am

Country wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:

Let's make the drugs legal. I thought most here are for smaller government. The last thing we need is more government.

The phrase: "the folks" in my above sentence refers to people receiving government assistance. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Legalize? So people can be high driving out on the roads......I don't think so.

If a person wants to drinkith of the dole than I believe it is a fair request that they not be tweaking from meth while standing in line to do so.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:56 am

But... but... doesn't meth cause the loss of teeth? Are you conflicted on this issue? :lol:
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:03 am

As for mother earth.....use, reuse, tame, shape, whatever, just be a good steward and mindful of consequences.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby scrapper2010 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:27 am

The problem is no one wants to get their own hands dirty anymore. Balance in nature means to hunt and kill your own meat. Fully automated slaughterhouses where cattle are herded to their execution by the tens of thousands a day just so mom can make some Hamburger Helper seems like unbalance to me. That's why I only buy Tuna Helper. :lol:
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:36 am

scrapper2010 wrote:The problem is no one wants to get their own hands dirty anymore. Balance in nature means to hunt and kill your own meat. Fully automated slaughterhouses where cattle are herded to their execution by the tens of thousands a day just so mom can make some Hamburger Helper seems like unbalance to me. That's why I only buy Tuna Helper. :lol:

and even there (I realize you're just kidding) ... the fisheries around the world are being depleted at an alarming rate, larger species being fished to extinction. "Eat your fish, honey... clean your plate." "But Ma... can't we have something besides 100 minnows, 50 fry, seaweed and krill?"
beauanderos

Postby Redneck » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:47 am

Soon, there will be no need to worry about overpopulation, as GM foods will take care of that.

It has already begun.

Either poor return or no return on corn, wheat and other crops. Not to mention that the seed is only good for that one seasons crop. (terminator seed)

Farmers in India are committing suicide by the thousands as GM seeds purchased on credit fail to produce crops to pay back the loans.

But that's nothing compared to this.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/may2 ... ood-cs.php

Excerpt,

GMO, glyphosate and population reduction

One long-standing project of the US Government has been to perfect a genetically-modified variety of corn, the diet staple in Mexico and many other Latin American countries. The corn has been field tested in tests financed by the US Department of Agriculture along with a small California bio-tech company named Epicyte. Announcing his success at a 2001 press conference, the president of Epicyte, Mitch Hein, pointing to his GMO corn plants, announced, “We have a hothouse filled with corn plants that make anti-sperm antibodies.” 14

Hein explained that they had taken antibodies from women with a rare condition known as immune infertility, isolated the genes that regulated the manufacture of those infertility antibodies, and, using genetic engineering techniques, had inserted the genes into ordinary corn seeds used to produce corn plants. In this manner, in reality they produced a concealed contraceptive embedded in corn meant for human consumption. “Essentially, the antibodies are attracted to surface receptors on the sperm,” said Hein. “They latch on and make each sperm so heavy it cannot move forward. It just shakes about as if it was doing the lambada.”15 Hein claimed it was a possible solution to world “over-population.” The moral and ethical issues of feeding it to humans in Third World poor countries without their knowing it countries he left out of his remarks.

Another article on the same thing. Note the date .

http://www.biotech-info.net/conception.html

Scientists Create GM Corn Which Prevents Human Conception

Robin McKie
Science Editor
The Observer - London
September 9, 2001

Scientists have created the ultimate GM crop: contraceptive corn. Waiving fields of maize may one day save the world from overpopulation.

The pregnancy prevention plants are the handiwork of the San Diego biotechnology company Epicyte, where researchers have discovered a rare class of human antibodies that attack sperm.

By isolating the genes that regulate the manufacture of these antibodies, and by putting them in corn plants, the company has created tiny horticultural factories that make contraceptives.

"We have a hothouse filled with corn plants that make anti-sperm antibodies," said Epicyte president Mitch Hein.

"We have also created corn plants that make antibodies against the herpes virus, so we should be able to make a plant-based jelly that not only prevents pregnancy but also blocks the spread of sexual disease."

Contraceptive corn is based on research on the rare condition, immune infertility, in which a woman makes antibodies that attack sperm.

"Essentially, the antibodies are attracted to surface receptors on the sperm," said Hein. "They latch on and make each sperm so heavy it cannot move forward. It just shakes about as if it was doing the lambada."

Normally, biologists use bacteria to grow human proteins. However, Epicyte decided to use corn because plants have cellular structures that are much more like those of humans, making them easier to manipulate.

The company, which says it will not grow the maize near other crops, says it plans to launch clinical trials of the corn in a few months

So.

Don't worry, be happy and while your at it, pass the corn chips and salsa...

Government and industry are taking care of that nasty overpopulation problem for us.

Kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside...

:roll:

>
Redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:49 am

Here's what happens after we are done saving the earth.

http://sonicbomb.com/iv1.php?vid=astero ... d%20Impact
Thogey

Postby Country » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:45 am

Redneck's dead on with the GMO. Monsanto is destroying old seed banks whenever they can too. My wife and I look for NON-GMO foods and eat them whenever possible.

Producers of the GMO seed are liable to make some mistake along the line such that the food we eat modifies our genes in some unknown way to kill the human race. It's bound to happen. Mother Earth's revenge; and she will have the last laugh....
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Thogey wrote:Here's what happens after we are done saving the earth.

Easy fix.....just call in these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmn_WbMOCU
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:05 am

The scariest thing about GM corn is how easily it spreads it's gene traits on the wind to organic stocks near by. There is nothing you can do to stop it except grow your organic corn miles away from anyone else's corn.

The same thing goes for all organic crops. If someone else plants GM crops within a two mile radius of your organic crops, Mother Nature's little critters will carry the bad pollen to your plants and F__k them up.

Hmmm, I don't remember which axiom it is. Let's call it Axiom X to Murphy's Law: Nature is a real mother. (As in mother f'er!)

I like to grow as many of my own veggies as possible. My wife has some severe health problems (She was irradiated in the late 50's from above ground nuclear testing)and is also a Celiac Spru. I try to keep everything organic to prolong her life. It is getting harder all the time to do so. I now have the worst infestations of bad insects eating my crops I have ever seen in a lifetime of gardening.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:
Thogey wrote:Here's what happens after we are done saving the earth.

Easy fix.....just call in these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fmn_WbMOCU

Eric... thanks for sharing your uplifting video. Chris... doesn't it make you wonder about the source of info that got all these movies started in the first place? i.e some basis in truth they are covering up so as not to panic the public. Sheikh... when you think about it (cross-pollination)... we're screwed.
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:57 pm

beauanderos wrote:Eric... thanks for sharing your uplifting video. Chris... doesn't it make you wonder about the source of info that got all these movies started in the first place? i.e some basis in truth they are covering up so as not to panic the public. Sheikh... when you think about it (cross-pollination)... we're screwed.

I think this was based on a true story as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_LrK8bT ... re=related
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:17 pm

I watch a little of the movie but it was just to drawn out .....

Below is another video that might be of interest as well that probably gives a different prospective.

The Man-made Global Warming Hoax (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpWa7VW- ... ded#at=178
Copper Catcher

PreviousNext

Return to Economic & Business News, Reports, and Predictions