Bringing New Value to Slicks

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bringing New Value to Slicks

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:45 am

Is there any way.... this is addressed to all you CIS buffs... to determine the obliterated dates/mintmarks on heavily worn slicks? Something like they do with chemically-treated buffalo nickels to raise the date, but that wouldn't damage them? Maybe viewing them under some kind of high-powered magnification? Just a silly moment of musing, but imagine how much the coin collecting community could be affected if something like this could be accomplished without damaging the coin? We could create an entirely new category of coin grading... at one end BU... at the other FU... or, for the more politically correct About Good 1 :lol: Just think about how many high dollar coins have been dumped merely because someone had no idea as to their incredible worth as slicks? I mean, c'mon... we save all the no stars obverse standing liberty quarters, right? Even though you can't read the front?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Bringing New Value to Slicks

Postby TXBullion » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:20 am

A while back Brian attempted to differentiate with an xray and had no luck. I am sure there has to be a way
TXBullion

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:46 am

I'm thinking about doing a test run on ebay. Picture half a dozen absolute slicks. No date even partially visible. Market them as silver bullion and list correct gram wt, and their worth at current melt. But THEN... in your description... get very creative. Create a mental image of "what if."

"It may not be possible now, but what if, in the future, a method is developed to accurately determine the dates and mintmarks that are obscured on heavily worn coins? Coins in the worst currently valued grades now (AG3), such as a 1916-D Mercury Dime, a 1913-S or 1901-S Barber Quarter, a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter, are worth thousands of dollars. An 1894-S Barber Dime, even in extremely poor condition, would be virtually priceless. What would lower grade coins be worth? Certainly more than the spot price of silver. There are other examples, too numerous to mention, that could be worth hundreds of dollars apiece. All, that is, if sometime in the future, methods can be determined to accurately identify these coins, perhaps via the use of high-powered magnification by third party grading services, and certified as such, without causing damage to the coins. What have you got to lose? Without a doubt, these coins are worth $xxx as silver bullion. But... WHAT IF?"

Alrighty then... doesn't this cover all the ethical issues we have discussed in other threads? Caveat emptor? They know exactly the value of what they are bidding on, if anyone bid higher than melt, they would only have themselves to hold responsible. Pros? Cons? Does this cross the line? Or would it simply be creative marketing?
beauanderos

Postby Thogey » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:50 am

beauanderos wrote:I'm thinking about doing a test run on ebay. Picture half a dozen absolute slicks. No date even partially visible. Market them as silver bullion and list correct gram wt, and their worth at current melt. But THEN... in your description... get very creative. Create a mental image of "what if."

"It may not be possible now, but what if, in the future, a method is developed to accurately determine the dates and mintmarks that are obscured on heavily worn coins? Coins in the worst currently valued grades now (AG3), such as a 1916-D Mercury Dime, a 1913-S or 1901-S Barber Quarter, a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter, are worth thousands of dollars. An 1894-S Barber Dime, even in extremely poor condition, would be virtually priceless. What would lower grade coins be worth? Certainly more than the spot price of silver. There are other examples, too numerous to mention, that could be worth hundreds of dollars apiece. All, that is, if sometime in the future, methods can be determined to accurately identify these coins, perhaps via the use of high-powered magnification by third party grading services, and certified as such, without causing damage to the coins. What have you got to lose? Without a doubt, these coins are worth $xxx as silver bullion. But... WHAT IF?"

Alrighty then... doesn't this cover all the ethical issues we have discussed in other threads? Caveat emptor? They know exactly the value of what they are bidding on, if anyone bid higher than melt, they would only have themselves to hold responsible. Pros? Cons? Does this cross the line? Or would it simply be creative marketing?

If you do this you would be subject to scorn and ridicule from the membership and rightly so.

Please don't do this.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:06 pm

Dude, seriously though. If you listed the current value of the slicks for their actual gram wt as what they were worth as bullion, how are you preying on anyone? If someone with a "get rich quick" mentality thinks he can somehow capitalize on this "opportunity," how is that your fault? You told them specifically how much the slick was worth. You could even add "in all likelihood, this will never be possible, and these slicks will remain, in the future, worth only their value as silver bullion, as they are today." If the bidding still erupted, that's on them, not you.

How about a listing that described them as "silver bullion, worth their gram wt." And then you went on to say... "wouldn't it be neat, if someday in the future, a method might be developed to reveal the date and mintmark that you can't see now, and you later discovered you had actually purchased some rare coins worth far more than their melt value?"

And really... who knows what technological advances could be capable of?
beauanderos

Postby Thogey » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:09 pm

I don't think your idea would make you a predator either. I for one would just make fun of you for doing it.

But what else is new, I'm going to make fun of you anyway.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:44 pm

Ebay Heading: "Ray's Roll of No Date 1916-D Mercury Dimes Silver NR"
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Ebay Heading: "Ray's Roll of No Date 1916-D Mercury Dimes Silver NR"

No... but how about "Unidentifiable silver quarter, who knows what it could be worth?" :D The more online research I'm doing (towards possible date recovery) the more legitimacy is being lent to this idea. :?
beauanderos

Postby Treetop » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:54 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:Ebay Heading: "Ray's Roll of No Date 1916-D Mercury Dimes Silver NR"

No... but how about "Unidentifiable silver quarter, who knows what it could be worth?" :D The more online research I'm doing (towards possible date recovery) the more legitimacy is being lent to this idea. :?

then why arent you instead looking to buy more slicks? Instead of selling what you have?
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Please don't give him anymore ideas.
Thogey

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:06 pm

Auction includes:

Roll of no date mercs
Magnifying glass
Vile of reveal solution
Super secret decoder ring
and Official date detective badge
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Treetop wrote:
beauanderos wrote:

then why arent you instead looking to buy more slicks? Instead of selling what you have?

Did I say I was gullible? I'm just thinking out loud that this might be a lucrative niche market to exploit, at least with a little more honesty and integrity in the listing then what these other snake-oil salesmen do. :lol:
beauanderos

Postby Corsair » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:49 pm

I know there is a way to recover serial numbers on guns that have been filed away. Something about the alignment of the molecules can identify the number, even if millimeters to centimeters of metal is gone.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:21 pm

Corsair wrote:I know there is a way to recover serial numbers on guns that have been filed away. Something about the alignment of the molecules can identify the number, even if millimeters to centimeters of metal is gone.

Thanks, David

http://ezinearticles.com/?Forensic-Ball ... &id=917211
beauanderos

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals