Liberia Coins - Are these silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Liberia Coins - Are these silver?

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:40 am

Does anyone know anything about these coins? I picked up 3 in a deal with some mercs and eagles. They were pretty much just a throw in so I really did not pay for them. I think that they are silver, but I don't know what %. Any help is appreciated. I weighed one and it is 14.4g. The pic looks funny because it is in a plastic case. I weighed it without the case. Also, if someone wants these for some reason send me a PM with a cash or trade offer. Thanks!
Attachments
Scan10001.JPG
Scan10001.JPG (123.66 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Scan10002.JPG
Scan10002.JPG (129.71 KiB) Viewed 277 times
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Liberia Coins - Are these silver?

Postby NiBullionCu » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am

KM568 Copper-nickel
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks you very much for looking that up for me! I was having trouble finding it.

I'll probably be listing these on eBay unless someone here wants them. Make an offer!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Usually the $10 denomination are the silver ones
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Cool coins...although I'm curious as to why they would say 1863 Gettysburg on them, since that's here in the USA and not in Liberia.

On the foreign note, I've been finding a lot of foreign stuff lately in my CWR pennies. The other day, I found my first Austrian Goshen, along with the usual PI crap & Canadian pennies, plus 1/2 FR Helvetica (Switzerland, I think), and a 1 Renmin Zhongguo (I think it's China renminbi).
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:59 pm

HPMBTT wrote:Cool coins...although I'm curious as to why they would say 1863 Gettysburg on them, since that's here in the USA and not in Liberia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberia

The history of Liberia is unique among African nations because of its relationship with the United States. It is one of only two countries in sub-Sahara Africa, along with Ethiopia, without roots in the European Scramble for Africa. It was founded and colonized by freed American slaves with the help of a private organization called the American Colonization Society in 1821–1822, on the premise that former American slaves would have greater freedom and equality there.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Meade and Lee look like they were from Liberia...well at least Lee does. :lol:
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:45 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:Meade and Lee look like they were from Liberia...well at least Lee does. :lol:

Yeah, I noticed that. For both of them.

Those were the two opposing generals.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals