Looks like I need to buy an impact drill

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Looks like I need to buy an impact drill

Postby amalekidad » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:31 pm

My son and cousin tried to convinced me that I don't need to bolt down my safe. I think they are wrong!

This article has convinced me otherwise!
Collection housed in a large gun safe, thieves removed the entire safe evidently to be opened later

http://www.numismaticnews.net/buzz/club-says-watch-for-stolen-coins
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: Looks like I need to buy an impact drill

Postby Thogey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Regular drill

Good masonary bit

Red head Studs.

Next question.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby amalekidad » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:14 pm

Stud size? Bit size?
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:18 pm

That would depend on your safe.

Buy studs to fit the eyelets.

The red head pack will say what size bit you need.

Next question
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby TXBullion » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:32 pm

I thought the blue screws were for concrete no?
TXBullion

Postby Thogey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Red Head studs have a one way (compression sleeve?) on one end and a straight stud that you can screw a nut on the other.

So you drill a hole in the concrete and pop the compression end into the hole with a hammer, and it ain't coming out.

So you are left with a bolt (stud) sticking out. Lower it safe's eyelets over the stud.
Take your nuts, one way tighten only type, and tighten it down.

No "that's what she said" comments please.
Thogey

Postby Robarons » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 pm

I think I read an article that a safe that wasnt bolted down was flung from its foundation during a tornado and morgan dollars ended up flying everywhere.

I guess having multiple safes would make a would be thief have to guess which one to check and require him to take more time if he wanted to crack them all anyways increasing the chase of getting caught.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby WizardTN » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:20 pm

Solution.. put all the silver in a coffee can in the pantry. Buy a cheap lockbox and stock it with cheap chinese fake pandas and fake morgans. Put that box in an obvious hiding place.
When they find that box they will grab and run. Then you can explain to the cops how they stole your "fakes" LOL

EDIT: Throw in a generous handfull of those Tibetan silver belly dancing coins that you buy by the 1000 lot. They look real impressive.

Have fun.

(How many fake pandas and morgans do you want.... I have a source.)
Last edited by WizardTN on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:26 pm

Or better yet.

Fashon an IED (dog crap splatted bomb)out of a coffee can. Label it MORGANS and SILVER EAGLES DO NOT OPEN.

Just don't forget which on it is.
Thogey

Postby Mossy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:49 am

Use a hammer drill or rotary hammer (don't believe Wiki, the rotary hammer is much better, longer lasting) if you can find one. Places that rent out heavy equipment might have some electrics. The air hammers are better yet, but, "oh, my" the rent on them and the compressor, and the hassle transporting and setting up.

A regular drill will work. Eventually.

If you buy a hammer drill or rotary hammer, make sure it's stored out of sight. Better yet, it's stored elsewhere. I've never tried, but I bet I can free a safe held down that way using caver micro blasting techniques.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby amalekidad » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:42 pm

Are they really going to blowup my safe/house to get at the goods?
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby Kurr » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:00 pm

Ive seen sledge hammers, picks, screwdrivers, drills, cutting torches, you name it.

Have seen them wrap a chain around a safe attached to a truck and pulled the whole thing through the walls then loaded it.

Seen em crawl under houses and cut a whole in the floor.

I have seen houses where they took the carpeting off the floors and loaded it, took the paneling off the walls, stole the fixtures, I mean everything.

You cant stop a smart determined thief, if they know where it is, and have the time.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Just fill the safe to the brim with CU cents. I doubt they will be able to move that and you have a nice little stash of CU. ;)

I do agree with Kurr, nothing can stop a determined theif. If they have the time they will open/steal any safe.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:59 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:Just fill the safe to the brim with CU cents. I doubt they will be able to move that and you have a nice little stash of CU. ;)

No, Zinc Cents!! Or even better, mounds of near worthless foreign coinage!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:11 pm

I think there may have been a lapse in operational security here as well. How many people has he shown his collection to? Sometimes wealthy people collect rare coins to feed their ego and this can be their downfall. Also, why on earth does he have $500k in coins all in one spot?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:12 pm

amalekidad wrote:Are they really going to blowup my safe/house to get at the goods?

Yes.

Micro blasting was developed by cavers to open a passage so they can crawl through. The original charges were the blanks used to drive nails. (Drill hole, drop some blanks in the hole, set off with modified screw driver and hammer. Do not use a screw driver that fills the hole or it's going to come out of there faster than you like. Use a rubber or carpet collar to keep the debris out of your forehead.) Consider this was usually done by someone there and enclosed in the cave; it's fairly quiet and should not bring down the house. Might need a half dozen holes to fracture the cement under the safe enough to free it. Maybe just a couple on the side away from the tow.

As for collatoral damage to your home, I fully expect to see houses burned down for a few pounds of copper in the near future. The thief, by definition, does not care.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby amalekidad » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Sounds like I need a bigger gun! BTW, I do have about $400 face of CU cents in the bottom of the big ol gun safe. The thing still rocks a bit, not much, but enough to know that it is not bolted down. My cousin says to get shims and the things that keep washing machines from walking. Make it appear that it is bolted down.
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Kurr wrote:Ive seen sledge hammers, picks, screwdrivers, drills, cutting torches, you name it.

Have seen them wrap a chain around a safe attached to a truck and pulled the whole thing through the walls then loaded it.

Seen em crawl under houses and cut a whole in the floor.

I have seen houses where they took the carpeting off the floors and loaded it, took the paneling off the walls, stole the fixtures, I mean everything.

You cant stop a smart determined thief, if they know where it is, and have the time.

Wow. I'd sure like to know how/where you've seen all this at! :shock: The movies? Are you some sort of safe crime detective?
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals