Fake Morgan?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Fake Morgan?

Postby RxForPain » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:15 am

I bought a few morgans the other day from the local pawn shop at melt. I have purchased from them on numerous times and the owner knows me by name at this point. The coins are all in circulated condition, but still in decent shape. They all looked good and had that nice "silver ring" to them so I made the purchase. When I got home I got out the scale and started to weigh them. I have one that is very lightly worn that came in at 26.44 grams (.3 grams light). Is this weight way out of range (possible fake)? All the others were within .01 - .18 gram range.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Fake Morgan?

Postby Hades12 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:29 am

I have seen others post that the fakes they have seen were in the 21 gram range.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:36 am

magnet test, if OK, then coin is probably OK... high res pics help
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Treetop » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:42 am

Its a fake. I will give you $5 dollars for it though. for uh... research.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby WizardTN » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:48 am

Treetop wrote:Its a fake. I will give you $5 dollars for it though. for uh... research.

DONT OVERPAY! I have ordered a few from China and am planning to offer them to RC members at cost for "educational" purposes.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RxForPain » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Passed the magnet test. I will try and get a few pictures posted this afternoon. It measures with the correct diameter too.
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RxForPain » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Here are a couple of pictures. Hope they provide enough detail.

RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:21 pm

oh boy...... :?

just kidding....looks fine. :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Pachucko » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:35 pm

What's a good reference for fake Morgans? How about Peace? I haven't heard much about them being faked.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:36 pm

Looks good... even wear, and typically struck.

Fake Morgan information: http://www.vamworld.com/COUNTERFEIT+PAGE
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby WizardTN » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Pachucko wrote:What's a good reference for fake Morgans? How about Peace? I haven't heard much about them being faked.

These days you can buy just about a fake anything from China, including pennies. I am not going to post a link to the sellers sites in a public forum, but if there are buyers - there are sellers.

{BTW: The fake Morgans I ordered as mentioned in another post? My cost = 2.11/ea SHIPPED! and goes down from there}
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RxForPain » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:08 pm

I appreciate all the insight. I feel a whole lot better now.

Thanks again everyone!
RxForPain
Penny Pincher Member

Postby WizardTN » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:22 pm

From one of their ads:

" FREE SHIPPING wholesale 1909 VDB Lincoln Penny Coins Copy 95% coper manufacturing
Unit Price: US $1.42 - 1.84 / piece
Min. Order: 10 pieces "
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:05 pm

WizardTN wrote:
Pachucko wrote:What's a good reference for fake Morgans? How about Peace? I haven't heard much about them being faked.

These days you can buy just about a fake anything from China, including pennies. I am not going to post a link to the sellers sites in a public forum, but if there are buyers - there are sellers.

{BTW: The fake Morgans I ordered as mentioned in another post? My cost = 2.11/ea SHIPPED! and goes down from there}

It must have the word, "copy" on it. Otherwise, you will be committing a felony if you sell them in the states. You don't want the secret service knocking on your door... best advice is to stay away and not propagate the distribution of these spurious goods. Chinese are not dumb, if they can't make money, then they don't do it. You're helping them to make money.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby galenrog » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:51 am

I have quite a few fake Morgans. Most are obvious, a few are not. The problem you have is that the coin looks right, feels right, and even sounds right, but is a little light. Without actually handling the coin and comparing it to some of my better fakes, I would have trouble helping you. I would take it to a few honest dealers for their opinion.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals