Anyone here have experience with Silver Flutes?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Anyone here have experience with Silver Flutes?

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:22 am

I have a local guy selling the following:

Signet Selmer Flute coin silver w/ case all 3 pieces stamped 27902 could use a tune up.

There is a pic in the ad showing the flute and it is stamped right on it "coin silver". I am assuming that this means it is solid 90% silver. Am I wrong? I don't know what the thing weighs, but it must be over a pound I would imagine. Do any of you guys have experience with silver instruments? What should I look out for?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Anyone here have experience with Silver Flutes?

Postby whatsnext » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:38 am

When I was younger I wanted one, but could not afford it.
I'd still buy one less than retail.
whatsnext
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:50 am

I was just looking at Selmer saxophones online with my son last night. I saw one that said "silver" and he told me it means plated in silver. Not so sure how much actual Ag it will contain.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby psi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:48 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_co ... _materials

Sounds like if it says "coin silver" then it probably is all 90%. Based on buying another wind instrument locally (wooden clarinet) I would say check to make sure all the sections are from the same maker. In my case the bell section was from a different maker, but it was still all wood and the sound was fine for the price. In your case though it could make a big difference in both resale value and metal value.
Edit:I re-read your post and all the pieces were marked so I guess that's not an issue here.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:51 am

A few people think that silver instruments sound better because the metal rings. Majority opinion is that the material does not matter for wind instruments.

Changing the air column (openning various holes) changes the resonance of the air column, without changing the resonance of the pipe (flute), so if the metal did resonate, it would produce a high pitch drone. No such resonance because the fingers dampen the vibrations.

Not very oganized. Need more coffee. Coffeeeeeee.

Some have pointed out that anyone who goes to the trouble and expense of making a musical instrument out of silver is not going to do a sloppy job of it. They say silver instruments sound better than average because of the care taken, not the material.

Well, there is a swank factor.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby psi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:34 pm

That's probably true about the fingers dampening the material's resonance quite a bit, but an object with a certain resonant frequency will also reinforce tones that are related harmonically (i.e. ratios that approximate fractions of whole numbers). Not sure how significant that is for flutes because of that dampening effect but I always thought it would be interesting to hear a banjo with a silver tone ring.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:33 pm

psi wrote:a banjo with a silver tone ring.
I've heard silver strings bragged up. I don't know enough to think anything.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals