Just came back from local coin shop, let me tell you boys

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Just came back from local coin shop, let me tell you boys

Postby kidman232 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:52 pm

their prices were ridiculous. It's been a few weeks or months since I had stopped by and a lot has seemed to have changed. Before they were always a little soft of prices, if silver moved for like 3-4 days they were behind in updating prices, now it seems like they left all of their prices above silver's peak. Below are just a few of the prices

silver eagle 1996 $69

Silver eagle various years $59

Circulated Morgans or peace dollars $43

higher quality Morgans or peace dollars $45

90% halves $18.75

40% halves $8.50

Silver Quarters $8.75

Generic Silver round $45

Silver Dimes $3.60
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: Just came back from local coin shop, let me tell you boy

Postby theo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Did you ask them why they are charging a 30% to 50% premium to spot?

The generic rounds seem a little closer to reality. They are usually a dollar or two less than common ASEs. This place sounds more like a pawn shop.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby kidman232 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:39 pm

its a tobacco shop, but it sells coins, sports cards, tobacco products, books etc. the prices were decent a few months back, could snag stuff under melt, but ever since silver ran from like 35-50 the pricing has been out of control. its always the same lady working when ever i go in and when I ask if the sticker prices are negotiable she tells me she cant make any changes on the coins she is not the owner.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Great googely-moogely. 'dems some high prices.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby avidbrandy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:57 pm

That to me points to higher prices, if people are already willing to pay that much more over. Though on the last run-up the same thing happened. But we all know the drop wasnt' due to a lack of demand so it still seems valid.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:06 pm

The owner most likely has a lot tied up in the coins. If he bought in at, say $45 per oz, then he would want to get his money back out of it.

A 30% mark-up would work like this: Cost $45 / 0.7 = $64.28

Given the coins are a side-line to the main business of tobacco, I can understand why he would keep his prices high. He can wait for spot to go back up.

EDIT: There is one coin shop I have pretty much given up on. The prices are usually decent. It's the complete and utter bull $h!t the owner always throws at customers. He is a master at always saying just the right thing to sway the conversation in his favor. When spot is climbing, he's gotta have spot. When spot is down, like right now, it's meaningless BS. His coins are always priceless treasure, your coins are always junk. Oh, and he only makes $2 on every coin he sells. :roll:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Delawhere Jack » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:40 pm

It's a side-line business for them. They're not staying on top of spot.

There's a coin shop that I deal with occasionally. They always deal in spot + pricing. SAE's usually $5 over, generic bars $1.50 over.

They run a full page add in the local paper, and they turn a LOT of product.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby cuag » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:24 pm

This sounds like the practice for the last 2-3 months in the antique malls I frequent. They got cleaned out when silver bumped to almost $50, so many set their prices at or near that level, despite silver's plummet. They just wanted to recoup their costs or wait for silver to catch up so they don't have to keep changing prices. I've just about given up on them in most major cities but in smaller towns you can get even crazier spreads of either 50% of spot or things like double spot on '64 halves and quarters.
cuag

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Can anyone here blame them? How many here have been selling their silver for spot since it dropped below $35.00?? Not me brother! I ain't sellin' until it stabilizes in the $50's.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Kidman, where are you located at? It sounds just like a smoke shop here near me down to the prices and the people in the store not having the authority to haggle.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby kidman232 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:55 pm

maryland bamajoe
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby RR GUY » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:43 pm

For every dealer refusing to sell at this level, there is another looking to sell under melt. Today, I bought a bunch of Franklins and Walking Libertys for 25X or $12.5 each. The dealer knew the melt value (it seems everybody checks coinflation by the hour), but he didn't want to hold on to the coins ( a new purchase) for another week in the event that silver went back to $33 or so. While 25X seems high to me (I know, too much memory of old prices), I knew that this was a decent buy. It seems prices today are about 30X face or so. Tomorrow, who knows. A year from now, probably a bit higher.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ardorlan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 am

My local coin guy, charges 2$ above spot for silver, If you get the "Golden State Mint" rounds.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals