Questions on Toning

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Questions on Toning

Postby jerry278 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Hey all, I hope everyone is doing well.

I was wondering if some rc'ers knew how long it generally takes for a silver coin to 'tone'. I am not talking about those crazy rainbow specimens but just your average toning. I dont think its entirely dependent on date but defintely part of it. I even heard of a method to articifically tone to create that 'crazy rainbow' effect, which is a travesty in my mind :x I come from the camp that believes in NEVER cleaning a coin (be it junk or whatever) no matter how 'dirty' it is. Though I do love a nicely NATURALLY toned coin, doesnt even have to be anything spectacular. I believe it gives it 'character' and makes you realize just how old it is. And reminds you of the unique properties of silver, and copper and nickel for that matter...
But at any rate, in theory, I suppose any coin that is around for long enough will tone, if not cleaned, or is this wrong :?:
Like I was wondering if left untouched how long would a 2011 BU SAE take to tone, in say your average moderate climate. Airtight or just left out to be exposed to the 'elements'.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Questions on Toning

Postby jello_g » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:46 am

Toning is the result of the silver reacting chemically to environmental elements, mainly anything that contains sulfur. How fast it occurs naturally is a function of how much reactant exists in the immediate environment. Heat and humidity may accelerate the process.

If contained in an Airtight or similar protected environment, a SAE should not tone over time, unless the container was already contaminated prior to sealing.
jello_g
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pachucko » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Love them toners:

Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby jerry278 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm

jello_g wrote:Toning is the result of the silver reacting chemically to environmental elements, mainly anything that contains sulfur. How fast it occurs naturally is a function of how much reactant exists in the immediate environment. Heat and humidity may accelerate the process.

If contained in an Airtight or similar protected environment, a SAE should not tone over time, unless the container was already contaminated prior to sealing.

I understand that logic. However I have to respectfully disagree. I think over a LONG LONG period of time an SAE even in an Airtight will tone. How 'airtight' are those things anyways you know? But I was more curious if anyone had a rough idea of how long it would take a BU SAE (or the like) if no prevented measures were taken to 'protect' it. Like the morgan dollar that some 90 year old got for his birth year and kept it on his dresser for his entire lifetime. you know what I mean?
Last edited by jerry278 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jerry278 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Pachucko wrote:Love them toners:

Whats the date on that SAE Pachucko.

I dont mean to burst your bubble, but thats probably an 'artifically toned' one if you know what I mean, as I am sure you know. Still has a lot of eye appeal :)
jerry278
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jello_g » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:21 pm

jerry278 wrote: ...I have to respectfully disagree. I think over a LONG LONG period of time an SAE even in an Airtight will tone. How 'airtight' are those things anyways you know? ...

You are questioning how tight these airtights are. I don't use "Air Tite" products so don't have any experience to go on. By its' namesake I'm making the assumption they really are 100% air tight, otherwise the name is somewhat of a misnomer. If there is evidence to suggest these capsules really aren't as protective as they should be, then I agree that some toning may occur after a long period of time.
jello_g
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pachucko » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:44 pm

jerry278 wrote:Whats the date on that SAE Pachucko.

I dont mean to burst your bubble, but thats probably an 'artifically toned' one if you know what I mean, as I am sure you know. Still has a lot of eye appeal :)

1987. I know the previous owner didn't mess with it, but who knows who owned it before him?? It has some scratches and fingerprints all over it so I don't think they would have been trying to increase the value. I'm not an expert, not even close, on artificial toning, and would appreciate any references anyone may have on the subject. I've always like the look of toned silver and would like to be able to spot the fakes. I can spot some at first glance, but some I'm not sure about.
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals