First silver CRH find

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

First silver CRH find

Postby cuag » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:24 am

I've been casually sorting pennies and halves, quarters, and dimes for a year or so. Today I picked up 10 rolls of dimes and 10 rolls of quarters, $150, bank rolled (the place has their own machine and rerolls the customers' coins). Halfway through the quarters I found a 1901 1 Deutsch Mark, .1606 oz. Has some odd toning that looks like 2 other quarter-sized coins had been sitting on top of it, giving it 2 small half-moons. I'm a big collector of Reichsmarks when I can get them close to melt, so this will fit in nicely. I thought I hit a double when I spotted a silver edge on a dime, but it turned out to be a 1973 Canadian dime.
cuag

Re: First silver CRH find

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:10 am

cuag wrote:but it turned out to be a 1973 Canadian dime.

Well, it was breifly over melt when Nickel got over $25/lb. ^_^
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Can you show us a picture of that German coin?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cuag » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Here are the pics, as you can see in the first pic, the tarnish exists exactly in the radius of another quarter or similar-sized coin covering up most of the coin.

cuag

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:18 pm

Wow! It's in wonderful shape! What do you think the chances are of your first CRH find being foreign!?!?
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby cuag » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:17 pm

I didn't think much until I saw the year. I'm guessing someone just thought it was some random foreign coin and tossed it in there thinking 25 cents is better than 1 Mark.

A psuedo "silver in the wild" story I have is an encounter in an antique mall. I heard a lady come in and loudly proclaim to the cashier that she received a silver quarter in change from the McDonald's drive-thru and it was worth $2. (This was several months ago, when silver was in the high $30s). I was in the middle of looking at some coins but ran into her later when she was paying for something. I said I couldn't help but hear that she found a silver quarter and that I would buy it from her for $4 ($2 more than what she thought, about $2 less than melt). She looked at me like I was trying to scam her and said "why, are you just going to turn around and sell it", thinking I was the coin vendor. I said "no, I'm a customer and collect them." She pulled it out right there and I gave her $4 cash and her old man that was with her said "wow, they must have really gone up from what I remember." She was happy that I (or McDonalds) pretty much paid for her breakfast and I was happy for getting a good deal. It was a 50's Washington that looked nice. It made me realize that #1 silver quarters are still out there, and #2 elders are still educating the younger about silver coinage. I just wonder which of the two caught that it was a silver quarter first and how that took place.
cuag

Postby psi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Great looking coin. I have yet to find silver in a quarter roll but I have pretty much given up looking. Aside from lucky breaks it must take a lot of volume sorted to find much silver in quarter rolls.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wpd7 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:35 pm

All my silver quarters have been spotted at the teller's till..... Tried some CRH on them but all have been skunks so far.
wpd7
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals