Trying to find a bank to get Half Dollars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Trying to find a bank to get Half Dollars

Postby Henchman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:32 pm

Hey all,

First time poster looking for some help. I can't seem to find a bank that carries or will order Halves for me to search.

I'm from NJ and belong to TD and PNC Bank so I went to those first trying to get a $500 box or get one ordered from their supplier. Both branches shot me down. I also tried a few "mom and pop" branches that looked at me funny when I asked for coins.

Is there a major branch that would order Half boxes for me? I believe there is Chase, Wells Fargo, Wachovia just to name a few that are pretty close to me.

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks,
Henchman (I do all my wife's bidding without question :| )
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Trying to find a bank to get Half Dollars

Postby kidman232 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:41 pm

i too am like you. none of the bigger banks around me ever seem to have them and when i ask about ordering, they just get that deer in a head light look and say something like sometimes customers bring some in change. I did however find a mom n pop type of bank that had 10 rolls like it was nothing when I asked. I dont bank there, so probably going to try to rotate who picks them up for me or else I'll just end up joining their bank.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby theo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Henchman wrote:Hey all,

First time poster looking for some help. I can't seem to find a bank that carries or will order Halves for me to search.

I'm from NJ and belong to TD and PNC Bank so I went to those first trying to get a $500 box or get one ordered from their supplier. Both branches shot me down. I also tried a few "mom and pop" branches that looked at me funny when I asked for coins.

Is there a major branch that would order Half boxes for me? I believe there is Chase, Wells Fargo, Wachovia just to name a few that are pretty close to me.

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks,
Henchman (I do all my wife's bidding without question :| )

They should order halves for you if you have an account. Even if they don't allow ordering, ask if they have halves in their drawers every time you do your banking. Somestimes people cash them in. I've made a couple nice scores doing this.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dan53 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:04 pm

Around here Wells Fargo (used to be Wachovia) will only order coins for business customers. Here's a tip, when you ask any bank to order them for you, be sure and promise that you will NOT bring them back to them after your done with them. I get mine from a bank called Regions. I think they are only in the south. For over a year now, I have been getting from 2-8 boxes per week. Another thing to try is to have the money in hand when you approach the teller. Plop the money down and tell them you won't to deposit it because you need to order some halves. One last thing, if your accounts are considerable, remind the manager of that when they refuse to order halves.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Henchman » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

The NOT bringing them back is a good idea to say next time and I always have a wad of $100s when I go in to check if I can get them. I was very disappointed in PNC who is my major banking option with a large amount in my checking account alone (damn kids use money like water) :lol:

I'm gonna try Chase tomorrow which is walking distance from my job and on down time I would love to be able to sort some halves. I would even move money into a bank if they could get me halves. A bank is a bank and they all pay out the same interest...... 0! :twisted:

If anyone can think of a specific bank that has a 100% success rate, still would love to find that out.

Thanks again,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ardorlan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Henchman, I've had luck calling over the phone, to the banks down town.

Ask to speak to the vault teller
When the Vault teller is on the line
tell them you want to place a change order
they will say "ok" and maybe get your name and number
then say "1 box 500 dollars in halves."

This has worked well for me.

From what I have seen only the Vault Teller, or the Vault Manager, or the Vault Lead Teller, Will order coins.
its good to use the term "Change order" instead of "Order a box of halves"

You have to make it easy for them to say yes, and only the person who places the order will say yes.
First talk to the right person, the person who places the change orders, they are "the vault teller"
Then Open the Change Order Folder in the vault tellers mind. "I would like to place a change order?"
They will say "Yes" there by already Agreeing to process your change order before you even say what you want!!! (This is KEY)
Then order a $500 box of halves "One Box 500 Dollars in Halves" and they will know what your talking about, well this may seem odd to them, since they are going have to fill out a change order for you anyways (since the change order folder is already open in their mind (and AGREED too)) why not make it for what you want. Don't ask if you can order it, Assume that they do this for you all the time.

People are lazy if you go straight for the a box of halves they will think your not using it to process change, and will look for reasons for any reason not to process it (due to being lazy).

Its important to get the person to the point when they are about to process the order mentally in their mind, before asking for something odd, By getting them to this point they have Already Accepted that they will be processing a change order, so writing down $500 dollars in halves is no big deal, even if they have never order halves before your confident tone will sell them on the fact this is something they can do.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby wpd7 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Keep in mind just because one branch says no, another may do it for you. Happens a bit in my area, but now I have 4 banks supplying.
wpd7
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals