Just can't stop buying silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Just can't stop buying silver

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:07 am

I hit my target for silver ounces a while ago and kept adding more. Finally had to say enough is enough. It's been 10 days since I last bought any silver. I was starting to feel pretty good and even starting checking out penny boxes to sort. But I fell off the wagon tonight. Found some deals on eBay and just couldn't pass them up.

A total of 4 coins (1960D quarter, 1967 half, 1968D half, 1969D half) for $17.51 including shipping. That's around $28/OZ.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Just can't stop buying silver

Postby Somnophore » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:17 am

You should stop buying any silver at spot as part of any aquisition plan, but any you get for a good deal under spot makes sense to buy it as it's getting something for less than it's worth that can easily be sold later.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:35 am

You can't stop buying silver... and you somehow consider this a bad thing?? Listen up, ye who yet cling to fiat. You are not "investing" in precious money. You are literally SAVING your money in a different form. You need to convert, heathen. CONVERT ALL your useless paper fiat to real money, as fast as you can... for as long as silver is available to purchase. You won't have this opportunity forever... and you will forever kick yourself when it is gone. :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hades12 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:56 am

Same here, I had a set amount of cash to put in, ended up over by 1/3 of the amount. But I got a Smoking Deal on a big stack of Morgans so I had to do it. Will do it again if I get the call for more.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby ardorlan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:21 am

The only reason why I don't have 100% of my cash in silver/gold is because I am buying houses and I need "Cash" for the down payment. Beauanderos What do you think about this reasoning?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NickelExpress » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:28 am

Aye im looking at building a house, to be sold after completion however I have to sell silver to make the down payment. With the way things are looking it might not be such a good idea even if its only for a few months :(
NickelExpress
Penny Sorter Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:41 am

beauanderos wrote:You can't stop buying silver... and you somehow consider this a bad thing?? Listen up, ye who yet cling to fiat. You are not "investing" in precious money. You are literally SAVING your money in a different form. You need to convert, heathen. CONVERT ALL your useless paper fiat to real money, as fast as you can... for as long as silver is available to purchase. You won't have this opportunity forever... and you will forever kick yourself when it is gone. :shock:

Go on, preach it!! make it plain!!

and i dont write that in jest, i am dead serious with you. tell you what older brother, before i came onto RC, i was an ardent stacker, mostly silver, but a goodly deal of bricks of nicks, (in fact that reminds me..MORE) and buckets of coppers, but ever since i came here, actually talked to you, heard your wisdom, read the wisdom of MANY others here, i just kicked it into a higher gear, because i realized i'm not alone, i'm not some crazy out house rat, that in every paradigm shift there is a small group of FORERUNNERS, that can see thru the mist and discern the times, and i thank you ALL.

for the past three years, i been deliberately and pondering, "what is currency?"...and we definitely have our hard currency, our metals, but there is also a much wider list of items, crucial everyday "stuff", with high trade value that will have the same properties as "currency". with my limited purse, i've procured a lot of these items.

but there was one item i bought the other day, that i feel has a deeper value, i purchased a case , 24, hard cover ESV Bibles. i was lead to do this,and feel really GOOD about it.

you know, a hard rain gonna fall, and a lot of folk going to be scared, and thats "fear"...i'm NOT talking about "religion" now, but the "fear" can kill you, and in my years, i found this truth, the antitote (spelling) to fear is Faith....and the ONE item i got, that wont "cost" anybody...any silver...or box of nails, or cord of wood...is one of those Bibles, that Book i would give to anybody, you, the neighbor down the road, a traveler, sojourner, with all the love in my soul. Because that Word has already been Paid, by Someone much greater than i....no greater Love.

neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:09 am

NickelExpress wrote:Aye im looking at building a house, to be sold after completion however I have to sell silver to make the down payment. With the way things are looking it might not be such a good idea even if its only for a few months :(

my only advice is this; if your situation ALLOWS, and i realize many DONT have that freedom, to which i grieve, but GET OUT OF THE CITIES AND SUBURBS....now.

i realize rural living isnt for everyone, and i'm not talking about the "end of the world"...its just gonna FEEL like that, but if you have "bank holidays", or currency disruptions, which i believe are upon us, you'll see widespeard civil disturbances, that will illicit an intense martial reaction...martial law. Even in the fat easy times, look how folks have behaved...ie, a sports teams wins or loses, people get wild and tear stuff up....a big box store has a crazy sale, and people actually trample one another to buy flat screen TV's, so if there plastic cards dont "work"...or the 3 day supply of food in any major city goes...the scenario could play out big bad ugly...and i still got kin that live in these areas, kin who think i just gone buggy, though my son's mother did say to me up on this porch, "I've never seen you so serene"....i didnt say it, but i wanted to say, "yeh, thats why i could fall asleep in my truck at 1 in the morning after i ran out to it, hearing rain, and realizing i left the windows open, and sat out the storm in it, and just went back to sleep and NOT worrying if i was gonna GET JACKED by some dope fiend desperado...when i woke up at my customary zero dark hundred, and realized i was in the truck, i just laughed.

thats rural living.....mowing with a bubba keg of Dewrade and falling asleep in your truck at one in the morning.

your peace is priceless, whatever that may be.

stay safe, stay wise....and when in doubt, pack.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:17 am

ardorlan wrote:The only reason why I don't have 100% of my cash in silver/gold is because I am buying houses and I need "Cash" for the down payment. Beauanderos What do you think about this reasoning?

If you are buying houses to flip them, be very careful. If for living in, alright. If for developing cash flow with renters... could be iffy. I know Robert Kiwosaki (sp? Rich Dad guy) is favorable to real estate investing... I personally don't think we'll hit bottom for another two years... so though you may be able to pick up some seeming bargains right now along the way, in retrospect you'll realize you spent too much for them. Things are gonna get much worse than anyone can imagine. I'd rather park in PM's till things fall apart, and THEN bargain hunt real estate AFTER you see how things have played out. But that's just me. If this sort of investing is working out for you, I wish you continued success. At least have a little PM's tucked away tho, they're sure to come in handy eventually. Hate to rain on everyone's parade with the doom and gloom, but that's what the future holds. Your own preparation will act as an umbrella or a life preserver, while everyone else gets washed away.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:48 am

neilgin1 wrote:
NickelExpress wrote:Aye im looking at building a house, to be sold after completion however I have to sell silver to make the down payment. With the way things are looking it might not be such a good idea even if its only for a few months :(

my only advice is this; if your situation ALLOWS, and i realize many DONT have that freedom, to which i grieve, but GET OUT OF THE CITIES AND SUBURBS....now.

i realize rural living isnt for everyone, and i'm not talking about the "end of the world"...its just gonna FEEL like that, but if you have "bank holidays", or currency disruptions, which i believe are upon us, you'll see widespeard civil disturbances, that will illicit an intense martial reaction...martial law. Even in the fat easy times, look how folks have behaved...ie, a sports teams wins or loses, people get wild and tear stuff up....a big box store has a crazy sale, and people actually trample one another to buy flat screen TV's, so if there plastic cards dont "work"...or the 3 day supply of food in any major city goes...the scenario could play out big bad ugly...and i still got kin that live in these areas, kin who think i just gone buggy, though my son's mother did say to me up on this porch, "I've never seen you so serene"....i didnt say it, but i wanted to say, "yeh, thats why i could fall asleep in my truck at 1 in the morning after i ran out to it, hearing rain, and realizing i left the windows open, and sat out the storm in it, and just went back to sleep and NOT worrying if i was gonna GET JACKED by some dope fiend desperado...when i woke up at my customary zero dark hundred, and realized i was in the truck, i just laughed.

thats rural living.....mowing with a bubba keg of Dewrade and falling asleep in your truck at one in the morning.

your peace is priceless, whatever that may be.

stay safe, stay wise....and when in doubt, pack.

I hear ya Neil. Would love to do something similar. But not in the cards for me, anytime soon. But I did move away from the core city on purpose last year, though for various reasons I couldn't/wasn't lead to completely leave the area. I feel that there needs to be some core remnant able to hold it together on the edge. So we're parked in the next county, in what used to be small-town country but now is old time suburb. Mostly larger lots, slightly older homes, heavily treed, with some natural boundaries (lakes etc), and on elevated ground completely surrounded by a mostly lower elevation golf course, which forms a "killing zone" of sorts (not that I want to think that way - but it's there). We're on well, with septic, HD propane generator as backup. It's a conservative area, several of the neighbors are into prepping, and we're sharing some ideas and resources. My major concern in that is their age - I only worry that some may soon have become too old to help me in a real pinch. But we'll see. We want to be able to help some other people, as needed, while able to protect ourselves.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:39 pm

If you enjoy "rural living" great, if not then for many "civil distrurbance" is probably way better than "rural living".

That's the nice thing about the current age is that you can enjoy life as you want.

Some day that may not be possible, but while it is, I'm going to enjoy living next to concrete :) and the ability to choose between French, Indian, Italian, American, Chinese, and other foods any time I want :)
barrytrot

Postby Mossy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:42 pm

Pick a state with a strong "right to carry" sentiment, if you intend to go rural.

Check FerFAL's comments on rural life in Argentina. Boils down to "Just that many fewer witnesses, so the bandits can take their time, torturing, raping, etc." Less minor crime, more major crime. Argentina is technically a "no guns for the plebs" country, but Fernando says the cops don't care if you don't bring shooting criminals to their attention.

ferfal.blogspot.com
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Mossy wrote:Pick a state with a strong "right to carry" sentiment, if you intend to go rural.

Check FerFAL's comments on rural life in Argentina. Boils down to "Just that many fewer witnesses, so the bandits can take their time, torturing, raping, etc." Less minor crime, more major crime. Argentina is technically a "no guns for the plebs" country, but Fernando says the cops don't care if you don't bring shooting criminals to their attention.

ferfal.blogspot.com

Mossy, i like FerFAL a lot, very very clever dude, he's 'taught' me a lot AND he's a darn good writer. Now i dont know rural Argentina, but up here in the rural Upper Midwest, these are very tight communities. some families been up here for a 150 years, and "Minnesota Nice" is a real thing( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ua9BPK6Dho http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy2HfixB9_8 )therefore i believe if any group of banditos decided to ply their wares up here, they'd discover just how short nasty and brutish life would become for them. I mean deer hunting season is one of the BIGGEST events of the year up here, so...it aint hobbit town.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:21 pm

TwoAndaHalfCents I agree, The silver bug rears its ugly head when a deal pops up. I am also afflicted with the sickness. I cannot pass up a good deal........period.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby TXBullion » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:TwoAndaHalfCents I agree, The silver bug rears its ugly head when a deal pops up. I am also afflicted with the sickness. I cannot pass up a good deal........period.

That is my diagnosis as well.....
TXBullion

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:10 pm

beauanderos wrote:
ardorlan wrote:The only reason why I don't have 100% of my cash in silver/gold is because I am buying houses and I need "Cash" for the down payment. Beauanderos What do you think about this reasoning?

If you are buying houses to flip them, be very careful. If for living in, alright. If for developing cash flow with renters... could be iffy. I know Robert Kiwosaki (sp? Rich Dad guy) is favorable to real estate investing... I personally don't think we'll hit bottom for another two years... so though you may be able to pick up some seeming bargains right now along the way, in retrospect you'll realize you spent too much for them. .

Caught me a few years ago while everything was going nuts. Went TOO FAR TOO FAST. If buying to flip I like the advise of (some other guru who's name I cannot recall) One House at a Time. Get in, get out; keep some fiat for the next one and some capital improvements and put your profit into something lasting.

2 1/2 years ago I moved to a new city. Although I make a nice income - I am NOT buying RE right now, drives "she who must be obeyed" nutz. But I am not buying another damn house until I can do it for cash. Proverbs says that the borrower is slave to the lender and with what's coming I will not be any man's slave again. I've done that and I hated it.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:36 am

I caught the copper bug last week when I got my first box of pennies to sort. But when I had a chance to snag some junk silver below $30 an ounce on eBay, I think the good old silver bug came back. It's a never ending cycle - Set silver target - Buy too much silver - Take a little break - Set new target - Repeat the cycle. Looking back at my last six years, I'm really glad I suffer from this affliction.

How do you know when you are hoarding too much silver? When you start looking for a place to stash all your new found copper and you keep turning up bags and boxes of junk silver coins that you stashed away and forgot about.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:35 pm

neilgin1 wrote: Mossy, i like FerFAL a lot, very very clever dude, he's 'taught' me a lot AND he's a darn good writer. Now i dont know rural Argentina, but up here in the rural Upper Midwest, these are very tight communities. some families been up here for a 150 years, and "Minnesota Nice" is a real thing ... I mean deer hunting season is one of the BIGGEST events of the year up here, so...it aint hobbit town.

So was the Central Valley of California, back before Reagan (yes, same one) signed the first gun control law. Keep an eye on the politicians. No place is safe from stupidity.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals