Are Sterling antiques going to increase in $$ due to melting

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Are Sterling antiques going to increase in $$ due to melting

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:38 pm

You know how you read the articles about how many pre-64 silver coins were melted in the 80's and how the numismatic value might increase down the road due to scarcity.

Could the same thing possibly happen with sterling silver antiques? They increase in antique value because so may pieces are being melted down

I just broke up a pair of weighted sterling silver candlesticks that I bought at a yard sale last weekend. Whenever I go in the local coin store you always see them breaking down weighted sterling to send out.

So just made me wonder about the value of these items down the road beyond their silver content.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Are Sterling antiques going to increase in $$ due to mel

Postby Merwanseth » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:14 pm

I was recently speaking with a friend who is a professional personal property appraiser in the area where I live. We were discussing this exact issue. His response was that good quality sterling silver and other precious and semi-precious metal antique items will likely increase in value over time at a slightly higher level than "junk" silver and other items worth only their melt value. Thus, if at all possible, it would be best to hold on to these items, if you own any, longer than "junk" melt value items. The only caveat he described was in a dire national/world economic crisis (wtshtf) scenario. In this scenario, there would be virtually no real wealthy people to potentially be a market to sell these items to. Thus, at that time, any item that one could barter would be almost strictly only melt value.
Merwanseth
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 pm

i think the whole idea of collectibles taking off is a risky one. its happened before, but not always. a lot of people have a lot of baseball cards and beanie babies they got stuck with. numismatics are trailing bullion by a wide margin. numistmatic premiums have been compressing rather than expanding. its hard to say why, but the fact that its occurring makes you question the wisdom of something like antiques.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:10 pm

Look at it this way: We know that GOBS upon TONS upon MOUNTAINS of 90% coins were melted, right? And do 64's have a premium over spot? Nope. Actually a negative premium in many cases.

I would assume the same to be true for "sterling silver items". In other words, unless your item has some other significance it's not going to out pace the silver inside it.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:39 pm

I have personally have broke down and melted several hundred ounces of ASW antiques. Hell, I hammered a Thursday auction purchase of .925 candle sticks, flatware, compotes, ect earlier today before I cooked and poured the silver into two nice little ingots. Cheapest silver money can buy. Less than $15/oz for that lot. It will end up going to Market Harmony at some point to be converted into Cash/999 fine/or Morgans.

As for your question. The short answer is no. I cook almost all of my buys, but I do keep the REALLY nice stuff. The wife also has a thing for sterling rimmed coasters.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:42 pm

I have probably two or three thousand ounces of various Franklin Mint Sets... all minted before 1978. I'm hanging onto them, even though perhaps they are only worth melt. Someday their true scarcity will surface and then I'll consider trading or selling them. They were all bought when silver was $5 an ounce, so I'm not gonna get hurt hanging onto them.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby RR GUY » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 pm

Finely made English silver will always command a premium to melt. George III 18th century silver often commads several hundred % premium over melt. Hallmarked Engilsh art deco Georve V and George VI is very desirable. With the price of silver rising, the best bet is to rescue fine English Silver and well made commercial 20th Century silver (Tiffany, Buccellati, Georg Jensen, Cartier) from the scrap heap at no premium. I've had great luck buying incredibly beautiful and useful objects at melt. You should use and enjoy your silver. Let me tell you, food tastes much better with heavy sterling flatware than plastic. Oh, and leave all of the polishing..... to the maid. HaHa.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals