Silver Reclamation, new to me, probably also to you

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Reclamation, new to me, probably also to you

Postby TXBullion » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Check this out

TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Silver Reclamation, new to me, probably also to you

Postby TXBullion » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:54 pm

Except maybe the Morgan doctor has been keeping this his secret
TXBullion

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Jack, I have heard of this before......never sold any of my films.

Just stack'n 8-)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:42 pm

yeah, I was aware of this. Kodak is one of the larger users of silver, and film cost is one of the contributing drivers to people moving to digital x-ray.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby reddirtcoins » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:01 pm

I always thought itronics would hit big but, didn't happen .. There is a lot of silver and gold still sitting unclaimed..
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:44 pm

I remember setting aside canisters for reclaiming silver back in the 70's at the photo lab I worked for. Never knew much about the details, but the cans were picked up once a month or so.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:38 pm

Silver reclamation can also be done on the drain of the dark room where the waste water is emptied out. If you have the time to invest, it is worth it.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:48 pm

In 197? someone gave me a huge spool of silver nitrate (movie)film. I knew it had value for the silver, but I was a kid.

You can make awesome smoke bombs with silver nitrate film, electrical tape and a firecracker. I demonstratated how to do this to my hoodlem friends. I managed to sell and trade the film for various barter items, including a big bull snake.

The snake escaped within 24 hours and wound up in one of my dad's bird cages. I denied the whole thing.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:30 am

Charlie Riser (retired Fresno Fire Capt) had a business recycling the silver from xrays. Don't know how lucrative it was, but I guess it paid well enough to hire a few off duty firemen, one of them being John Hodges (I think that was his name, this was years ago). Both of them died early deaths due to cancer, along with another employee.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:10 am

beauanderos wrote:Charlie Riser (retired Fresno Fire Capt) had a business recycling the silver from xrays. Don't know how lucrative it was, but I guess it paid well enough to hire a few off duty firemen, one of them being John Hodges (I think that was his name, this was years ago). Both of them died early deaths due to cancer, along with another employee.

Lovely. Wonder if was from firefighting related stuff, or if they were messing around with bad chemicals during the recycling process?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:15 am

Thogey wrote:In 197? someone gave me a huge spool of silver nitrate (movie)film. I knew it had value for the silver, but I was a kid.

You can make awesome smoke bombs with silver nitrate film, electrical tape and a firecracker. I demonstratated how to do this to my hoodlem friends. I managed to sell and trade the film for various barter items, including a big bull snake.

The snake escaped within 24 hours and wound up in one of my dad's bird cages. I denied the whole thing.

Bill? Er, President Clinton, I didn't know you were on Realcent! Can I get your autograph so I can sell it on ebay?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:25 am

Thogey wrote:In 197? someone gave me a huge spool of silver nitrate (movie)film. I knew it had value for the silver, but I was a kid.

LMAO!! :lol:

You may have made more money by extracting the silver, but who cares?! You can't buy entertainment like that!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:29 am

68Camaro wrote:
beauanderos wrote:Charlie Riser (retired Fresno Fire Capt) had a business recycling the silver from xrays. Don't know how lucrative it was, but I guess it paid well enough to hire a few off duty firemen, one of them being John Hodges (I think that was his name, this was years ago). Both of them died early deaths due to cancer, along with another employee.

Lovely. Wonder if was from firefighting related stuff, or if they were messing around with bad chemicals during the recycling process?

Could have been either or both. Methinks it was the chemicals they were dealing with... but back in the day (1974) when I first became a firefighter... the oldtimers would mock any rookie who wanted to don a SCBA tank and mask to go into a burning building, and God forbid you would keep one on during overhaul when the fire had been knocked down. Those guys would stand there, faces soot-stained and sweat pouring from beneath their helmets, leaving tracks coursing down their face, and laugh at us "stoopid rookies" as they smoked their stogies or chain smoked Marlboro's, one hand on a shovel or pitchfork, as smoke continued to billow from beneath mattresses with beams fallen across them, steam rising so that we were all enbillowed in clouds as if on a particularly foggy day. More than a few, I recall, died on the job, or lasted less than six months into retirement. Surprisingly, three or four committed suicide within a year or two of retiring. Two while on the job.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:55 am

beauanderos wrote:
68Camaro wrote:

Could have been either or both. Methinks it was the chemicals they were dealing with... but back in the day (1974) when I first became a firefighter... the oldtimers would mock any rookie who wanted to don a SCBA tank and mask to go into a burning building, and God forbid you would keep one on during overhaul when the fire had been knocked down. Those guys would stand there, faces soot-stained and sweat pouring from beneath their helmets, leaving tracks coursing down their face, and laugh at us "stoopid rookies" as they smoked their stogies or chain smoked Marlboro's, one hand on a shovel or pitchfork, as smoke continued to billow from beneath mattresses with beams fallen across them, steam rising so that we were all enbillowed in clouds as if on a particularly foggy day. More than a few, I recall, died on the job, or lasted less than six months into retirement. Surprisingly, three or four committed suicide within a year or two of retiring. Two while on the job.

You are right on both accounts, Beau. The chemicals from gold reclamation and the toxic chemicals released inside a house fire worked together to kill them.

I fought fire briefly in 1975 - '76 and grew up in construction working with cement-asbestos boards. In both careers, using masks to protect your lungs was "pussy". Today I marvel I am still alive.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm

I had access to a stack of film about a year ago and looked for someone to sale them to. Even the big yard I work with did not want them. found someone on the gold refining forum that bought them but the 50 pounds or that I had were the much newer stuff that is real light in silver and was not worth the time to ship them. The fellow I spoke to said the years on it were very numbered as there was so little silver still used in them and they were being replaced by Digital.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Oakair » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:20 pm

Ive got like 10 pounds or so of X-rays from the 90s...

Interesting, I never really delved into the mechanics of film...never woulda guessed silver played a part
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:08 pm

I had read about it before, somewhere I read a formula fo how many square inches or feet it took to make an ounce of silver.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals