When is enough, enough?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

When is enough, enough?

Postby dan53 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:15 am

I've been sorting halves now for over a year. From 2-8 boxes per week. Currently at 4 boxes per week. Last week, sorted 4 boxes for one 64 kennedy. Same thing the previous week. So when should a person throw in the towel? I keep thinking of that box 3 months ago, The one with 210 silver halves. Thats what keeps me coming back for more. As I sit here I'm looking at four boxes.....fixin' to dig in. Comments anyone?
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Re: When is enough, enough?

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:16 am

It's old, it's cliche, and it might even be a little bit greedy, but the greatest answer to these types of questions, and my answer when I ask them myself, is...

"Just a little bit more."
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby hirbonzig » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:53 am

I keep getting half boxes (and the skunks that go along with them) between the time I can find bags of halves-which usually have better silver finds. Ask around for any amout of loose halves or ask to buy bags off the coin counters. Don't give up totally on halves-try to get bags/loose halves. Good Luck! :D
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 pm

I will quit when all my pickup and dump banks start charging.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:04 pm

I gave up a couple of months ago. I was getting nothing but skunks doing 4 K a week. I figure if I sort more copper and sell some and trade some I am further ahead than sorting all those skunk boxes. At least then I know I will be adding silver to the pile.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby amalekidad » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:21 pm

I was dumping 4K in halves last week and the banker was quizzing me on my success rate. He said I would have better luck gambling. I looked at him and said, I always get my money back and once or twice a year I hit a jack pot. He just smirked and said, ‘quit bringing your losses here.’ Skunks are part of the game. I will continue to sort as long my cash flow and/or my life will let me.
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 pm

beauanderos threw up his hands last week after something like 20 straight skunks, then gave it one last go with 7 more boxes and hit a few 64s and something like 50 40%ers. I think he's back in the game for the moment.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby gettin copper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:09 pm

I'd say try to keep percise records, and quit if your breakin even or worse over a fair sample size. I'm talking tracking your gas down to the 1/2 block for pulling in and out of bank parking lot. Some people drive there truck past the local coin shop 15 miles to save .10 cents a coin on a roll of mercs.
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:24 pm

68Camaro wrote:beauanderos threw up his hands last week after something like 20 straight skunks, then gave it one last go with 7 more boxes and hit a few 64s and something like 50 40%ers. I think he's back in the game for the moment.

Talkin about me behind my back again, eh Rich :lol: I didn't give it up because of the skunks (if you're ordering bank boxes at least half of them will always be skunks). My bank is starting to implement either a $6 or $8 fee per bag returns, making continued searching using THEM for a dump bank an iffy, probably losing, proposition. I will still sort one or two boxes a week, and return them to a different branch (I think they were trying to scare me out of the one branch, since no others have mentioned the "new fee" yet). And I did find a dump bank with four nearby branches to accept my cents... so I can keep up with my present $500 a week.

On the topic question... we're supposed to keep three to six months of emergency cash ready at all times. Why not keep it "working" by picking up boxes and searching them? As long as they are free of charge (both orders and dumps)... if you enjoy the "hobby," what have you got to lose? Just try not to get too addicted... or we'll soon be prescribing nokoinzital for you.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:42 pm

beauanderos wrote:Talkin about me behind my back again, eh Rich :lol: ...

Yep... ;)

beauanderos wrote:On the topic question... we're supposed to keep three to six months of emergency cash ready at all times. Why not keep it "working" by picking up boxes and searching them? As long as they are free of charge (both orders and dumps)... if you enjoy the "hobby," what have you got to lose?

That's a good way to look at it. I like that! :)

I might have to try ordering some boxes. I had tried picking some up once, but it was a searchers dumps, and ticked me off, so never tried it again.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals