It finally happened to me

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

It finally happened to me

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:48 pm

I had to do a little cashing in today. I've been behind on my sorting thanks to some vacations, some school and some work, but now that all three of those are on hold for the next few weeks, I was able to get back in the game. I stopped by one of my more-liked dump banks. They hold me to one bag a week (I may be able to get more if I asked nicely), but they've always been great to me. Always have a smile, never a negative word, and best of all, I've pulled some nice silver from there. They save all their halves just for me, and I've done pretty well on them. Also, a few months back, one teller saved an entire bag of around $50 worth of Wheat pennies for me. She said she didn't know what exactly I searched for in those pennies I bring in, "But I figured these might be something you'd like." Of course, she was rewarded with chocolate.

Today I came in for the first time in a few weeks. Went to a teller I didn't recognize, but there weren't any problems. Then my friendly teller comes around the corner and says, "Oh, you haven't been in here for a while. I've been waiting on you!" I apologized (see, that's how well we get along. I apologize for not dumping there!) and told her the reasons. She said, "Well, I've been saving these for you. Someone brought in some weird looking dollar coins a few weeks back and I tossed them in the vault. I thought you might want to look at them first." Sensing a nice batch of useless Ikes, I said I'd be happy to take a look. She opened the vault and pulled out a sealed envelope. I instantly heard that familiar clang clang of silver. Maybe a 40%'er?

She brought them over to me. "Open them up," she said, "and tell me if you want them." I tore off the top of the envelope and looked inside. Who looked back at me? Dwight David Eisenhower. I smiled, heart-broken, and reached inside to pull them out. She told me, "There's $20 worth in there." I pulled all the coins out and placed them in a stack. First 3/4, all clad. But then. "I'd be happy to take them," I said calmly.

The other teller finished up with my pennies, and I paid for the coins. I said to my teller, "Who did you say brought these in?" "Some young boy," she said. "Just wanted cash for them. I didn't know much about them, so I figured I'd save them for you." "Well, thank you very much," I said. "You'll be getting some chocolate in the near future." She seemed to like that idea.

I went out to my car and doubled checked. Sure enough, my eyes hadn't fooled me - some of the stack did contain just a touch of Ag. I took a picture of the stack of coins for you all, so you could see what I saw.

And here they are in all their glory.

If you can't see, there's a 1923 Peace, a 1925 Peace, a 1891 Morgan and a 1921-D Morgan. According to coinflation, a pick up of $129.35 worth of silver for just a little over 3% of melt.

Thank you, silver gods, may I please have another?
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Re: It finally happened to me

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:55 pm

you just been blessed...for kindness shown. That is a wonderful tale.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:55 pm

Wow! Nice score! It goes to show what a lot of persistance and a little chocolate can do.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cuag » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:56 pm

That is HUGE and those are quite the lookers as well. If it wouldn't raise too many flags, I'd say to heck with chocolate, you need to bring in some pizzas or donuts for those hard working tellers!
cuag

Postby Mercuryman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:57 pm

Damn man, That's quite amazing. The Morgan on the right looks a little funny too me. Could just be the toning. Great score!
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:57 pm

Awesome. :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby amalekidad » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:04 pm

I'm going to beat my son for turning those in. PM me and I will tell you where to send them!
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Great find, David... and thanks for the detailed story so that we felt like we were there too :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:54 pm

amalekidad wrote:I'm going to beat my son for turning those in. PM me and I will tell you where to send them!

:lol:

Nice score man!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:59 pm

OH BOY!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Couldn't have happened to a better person.

And it looks to be one of the home runs we were talking about last night. How did it feel? Remember that feeling and soak up the high while it lasts.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:15 pm

Congrats, some day I hope to be able to write one of these stories. Again some kid got into Dad's or Grandpa's coin collection.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:17 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Couldn't have happened to a better person.

And it looks to be one of the home runs we were talking about last night. How did it feel? Remember that feeling and soak up the high while it lasts.

You forgot to mention the investment strategy, "Buy Morgan and Peace dollars at face value." Thanks for the kind words, Doc.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:07 pm

What a great story. I like how you wrote it up and built it up with a nice finale to it. I saw the edges and actually didn't think much...and then BAM! I saw those silver dollars in the next photo and my heart skipped a beat.

I last had this feeling about ten days ago when I pulled some new halves that had new wrappers that were unmarked. Lo and behold...two rolls of silver halves (3 of them were 1964) out of the six CWR's. My mouth truly felt like it hit the floor and I completely stopped and was stunned. I actually had to re-check them, just to make sure..it took me a couple of minutes to recover and I moved really slow and savored the moment. It also made up for the skunk boxes that I had that week as well.

Again, congrats on your find and keep searching.

On a lighter note, I just did a bank run and one of my regular tellers handed me a pre-65 silver dime that she found and was holding for me. I believe some chocolate is headed her way real soon. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:23 pm

The only better thing would be for this to have occurred on a snowy Christmas eve. Carolers were outside and on the way into the bank, you tossed some loose change into the Salvation Army red kettle.

Congrats. Cha-ching!!!!!!!!!!
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:50 pm

Wow, David! That is a terrific score!!! :D Congrats! Persistence pays in dividends!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:52 pm

BULLY!

(all caps)
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby RR GUY » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:31 pm

I think that this is sad. The poor kid gave away some coins that were probably given to him by his parents or grandparents, for what, to buy a video game? If you could, I would try and find the kid and give them back and educate him on what the coins are. The lousy $150 bucks probably means very little to you but might mean a lot to this kid. This is the problem with the world today, everyobdy is out for themselves. There is no sense of community anymore.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:46 pm

RR GUY wrote:I think that this is sad. The poor kid gave away some coins that were probably given to him by his parents or grandparents, for what, to buy a video game? If you could, I would try and find the kid and give them back and educate him on what the coins are. The lousy $150 bucks probably means very little to you but might mean a lot to this kid. This is the problem with the world today, everyobdy is out for themselves. There is no sense of community anymore.

Hell yea!

Let the games begin. I can hardly wait!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:57 pm

RR GUY wrote:I think that this is sad. The poor kid gave away some coins that were probably given to him by his parents or grandparents, for what, to buy a video game? If you could, I would try and find the kid and give them back and educate him on what the coins are. The lousy $150 bucks probably means very little to you but might mean a lot to this kid. This is the problem with the world today, everyobdy is out for themselves. There is no sense of community anymore.

While your message here is good, RR, I think you're being a bit naive. Should all of us hoarders who have ever found silver strive to return it to its original owner? Should we all contact the government to see if they want to buy back those copper discs we are oh-so-selfishly keeping for ourselves? I don't mean to sound greedy here, but the point of silver hunting isn't to find a jackpot simply to give it back to the person who cashed it in.

Again, I don't mean to come off as greedy. Another member and I have promised to give a Peace dollar apiece to the Salvation Army come Christmas.
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Very Nice!!! :mrgreen:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:06 pm

I might make and effort to find a LITTLE kid(not a teenage punk who is a 'know it all' any way) and return them and clue him in.

If I saw a clueless kid in line to depost silver I would give him the info before I bought them.

But, the elderly old widow who made her husband miserable and finally put him in the ground with her constant bitching and know it all attitude?.......those coins are mine... all mine.

In fact I just scored another $20 FV of solid copper from the, know it all ,broad who keeps depositing her dead husband's hoard at my pick up bank. The tellers even wrote my name on the box .
Thogey

Postby Heartkill » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:10 pm

Great score! It'll be hard to top that one for a while I bet.

And the old saying goes "finders keepers" ;)
Heartkill
Penny Collector Member

Postby RR GUY » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:12 pm

Corsair wrote:

While your message here is good, RR, I think you're being a bit naive. Should all of us hoarders who have ever found silver strive to return it to its original owner? Should we all contact the government to see if they want to buy back those copper discs we are oh-so-selfishly keeping for ourselves? I don't mean to sound greedy here, but the point of silver hunting isn't to find a jackpot simply to give it back to the person who cashed it in.

Again, I don't mean to come off as greedy. Another member and I have promised to give a Peace dollar apiece to the Salvation Army come Christmas.

Naive is something I have never been called in my life. I'd like to see how you do when you have to negotiate with the Teamsters every two years. This has nothing to do with returning all silver to its "rightful owner." We're talking about a kid here. I don't give a crap if someone rolls a few silver dimes and gives it back to the bank, or someone cleaning out an estate returns a bucket full of silver to the bank.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Yes,

Let's git it on!
Thogey

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals