talk about a bad 10 mins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

talk about a bad 10 mins

Postby kidman232 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:18 am

silver went from being up on day to down over $2 an oz.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: talk about a bad 10 mins

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:37 am

Yeah I just saw that too. And the Dow was -350 before clawing back to -266.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:38 am

Time for a big buy at 39.50?
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:42 am

scrapper2010 wrote:Time for a big buy at 39.50?

"Happy birthday to meee, happy birthday to meee"

Actually, "Happy payday, to-morrr-rowww".

Wonder what happened?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Kurr » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:49 am

JPM
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 am

Mossy wrote:
scrapper2010 wrote:Time for a big buy at 39.50?

"Happy birthday to meee, happy birthday to meee"

Actually, "Happy payday, to-morrr-rowww".

Wonder what happened?

You know darn well what happened... well, maybe you don't. TPTB can't have the public witness a rapid rise in precious metals because it will build their confidence that there is an alternative to the dollar. Whenever there is a precipitous climb (and only they know when they'll be doing it) they come in and crush the price by naked short selling. This causes a waterfall drop, which triggers further stop losses by longs. Additionally, on bad DOW days like today, people who play the equities sell their winners to pay damage incurred with margin calls and broadmarket declines. And then, the weak hands, playing on margin in silver and gold futures, get washed out... or nervous, and sell. That's why you've got to hold physical... and just wait these games out. Today is a blip. A bad one, but still a blip. Five years from now you won't even spot it on a linear graph. If you've been sitting on a little cash, it may be a good time to deploy some of it into a purchase you've been planning.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:03 pm

It triggered all my buy orders and I was 5 minutes too late from putting on another to hit the bottom. Though we may pop back down further and catch that one yet. So I'm back in after selling at yesterday's local high. :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Im running to the local shop to buy some junk 90% with silver bargain priced under 40.00!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:26 pm

Gold, silver, oil, stocks, everything tanked at the same time around 11:30. That doesn't seem like a manipulative drop aimed at silver.
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Wow! That chart looks crazyyy
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:30 pm

scrapper2010 wrote:Gold, silver, oil, stocks, everything tanked at the same time around 11:30. That doesn't seem like a manipulative drop aimed at silver.

Hmmm, stocks have been tanking for 4 days. To some extent commodities in general will be affected. But what happened this morning was an attack on silver, because it's the most easily manipulated. Gold barely moved, down 0.3%. Silver is down 5%. Now that is an attack.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby oober » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Bet we see an announcement on some margin increases on gold and silver sometime very soon.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:35 pm

oober wrote:Bet we see an announcement on some margin increases on gold and silver sometime very soon.

I don't think gold because it isn't the speculators that are driving the market. And hard to justify on silver when the price is going DOWN, and it is LOWER than their previous margin hike levels.
68Camaro

Postby Double3 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:37 pm

I bought some gold this morning that is why it went down.

Sorry :lol:
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby oober » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 pm

68Camaro wrote:
oober wrote:Bet we see an announcement on some margin increases on gold and silver sometime very soon.

I don't think gold because it isn't the speculators that are driving the market. And hard to justify on silver when the price is going DOWN, and it is LOWER than their previous margin hike levels.

We've probably had some technical selling, right now would be the ideal time to have maximum effect, If the powers that be was to keep metals down, right now would be the time to increase margins,

Luckily no paper silver for me this time, I already lost a house in may, so either way it doesn't matter, I just buy more physical.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:56 pm

68Camaro wrote:
scrapper2010 wrote:Gold, silver, oil, stocks, everything tanked at the same time around 11:30. That doesn't seem like a manipulative drop aimed at silver.

Hmmm, stocks have been tanking for 4 days. To some extent commodities in general will be affected. But what happened this morning was an attack on silver, because it's the most easily manipulated. Gold barely moved, down 0.3%. Silver is down 5%. Now that is an attack.

Yes but oil is also down -4.8% copper -2.3% and palladium -3.2% wheat -3.6%.
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:24 pm

A close look at the Kitco gold and silver charts looks like silver pulled gold down.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:25 pm

beauanderos wrote: You know darn well what happened... well, maybe you don't. TPTB can't have the public witness a rapid rise in precious metals because it will build their confidence that there is an alternative to the dollar.

I was wondering about the method.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:30 pm

According to the Prez on Tuesday, the market has been tanking because of the debt ceiling. Now that it's out of the way market should not be doing this? Who's fault is it now....look in the mirror BHO. Friday will probably be just as bad due to unemployment reports.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:57 pm

68Camaro wrote:It triggered all my buy orders and I was 5 minutes too late from putting on another to hit the bottom. Though we may pop back down further and catch that one yet. So I'm back in after selling at yesterday's local high. :)

I pulled my orders. I don't see a bottom here. Image Will re-evaluate how to deploy capital when the dust settles. Either First Majestic or Silver Wheaton shares will be joining the portfolio soon. Image
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby RR GUY » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:16 pm

No need to panic. Just be patient and let things play out. We should all be a little excited to buy some physical stuff, but on days like this, sometimes its best to do nothing.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:37 pm

silver down 7.6% right now. i wouldn't mind so much if gold were down as much, but instead its down only 60 bps so the GSR is up. means it takes more silver to get gold.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:58 pm

beauanderos wrote:
68Camaro wrote:It triggered all my buy orders and I was 5 minutes too late from putting on another to hit the bottom. Though we may pop back down further and catch that one yet. So I'm back in after selling at yesterday's local high. :)

I pulled my orders. I don't see a bottom here. Image Will re-evaluate how to deploy capital when the dust settles. Either First Majestic or Silver Wheaton shares will be joining the portfolio soon. Image

Gold is essentially unchanged, so the concept of PMs as assets of protection are still in place. I view the silver drop as a mirror of the May day massacre. Congrats, JPM, you did it again. I've made a lot of money off of them, and will continue to do so as long as they mess with the market. So I'm dollar averaged back in at where I was originally, and I'm positioned to pick up more if it drops still more. Which I see as quite possible. But with people pulling money out of the market by the trillions, they've got to stuff it somewhere. Where are they going to put it? Government bonds? I think not. Their mattresses? Some of them, I'm sure. But I think more of them are going to look more seriously at silver, as well as gold.
68Camaro

Postby theo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:30 pm

I think today is one of the better examples of silver manipulation. While gold is down by less than 1% silver is down almost 8%. There is simply no rational explanation for this.

68Camaro wrote:Where are they going to put it? Government bonds?.

For now the answer is "yes." The managers of low risk value funds containing blue chip stocks and bonds don't really have a choice. U.S. Treasuries still have a AAA+ rating and are technically "risk free" while gold/silver are not. Therefore their pavlovian response to a market sell-off will be to shift into treasuries as a "flight to safty." Even if they personally recognize gold and silver as the safe havens they are, buying even a small block of PHYS for their clients would get them A LOT of unwanted attention perhaps even from the SEC.

I think the ratings agencies will treat US debt the same way they did mortgage-back securies 3 years ago. The downgrade will not come until it is too late destroying vast amounts retirement savings. It will be tragic.
Last edited by theo on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:32 pm

The fund managers, yes, of course. One reason why the US$ is up today. But the average Joe who decides he's had enough and he's selling to cash - he has to do something with it.
68Camaro

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals