What are the odds?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What are the odds?

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:25 pm

I've been lurking here for 8 months or so and thought I should register and make my first post.

So I'm on vacation with my family last week and naturally I bring some coins along to sort. I started ordering boxes of halfs awhile back when I couldn't get individual rolls at my bank anymore. First five boxes were skunks. Box #6 comes along with me on vacation. Being anxious I opened the box and checked the ends of the rolls. I found 2 ends that I was pretty sure were silver. Well I got kind of excited and thought I finally had found some silver in a box. Well after sorting the box there were 2 40pct halfs, a 1967 and 1968, but that was it! So what are the chances that the only 2 silver coins would be on the ends of the rolls? I was thinking to myself that I could only see 10 percent of the coins so there was a good chance that there would be more in the box than the 2 I could see.

Also in the box a 1997 proof and 3 NIFC including a 1987.

Oh yeah 1 1964 rosie out of 5 rolls searched, and picked up 10 rolls of halfs from local banks while on vacation and got 3 more 40 pct.

I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts on realcent and have learned a lot in the last 8 months.

Tom T.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: What are the odds?

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:31 pm

Tom , hope you had a swell vacation.

you're in Texas?...next vacation, may i suggest an all-inclusive stay at my personal favorite, Sunset Beach in Montego Bay, Jamaica?

yeh, its a 3 star, but so what? its 2 clicks from the airport, the food is good, drinks cold, staff very cool, (take 50 single dollar bills, or a 100, and slip staff one for a drink, they REALLY appreciate it) and the best part, is the price...me and my boy stayed there 5 nights...its great for the wee ones, 5 nights, airfare from Chicago, hotel, and food , drinks .....800 a piece...all in...we been there and at Negril Sunset Beach a few times. i love Jamaica , but i stay within the walls, cant carry in a foreign country. oh i long for the good old pre 9/11 days, travel was more fun.

just a suggestion, i aint a shill for the joint. stay cool, i heard you Texas boys had a 112 degrees. neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Yea mon, an ya gwan git evra ting you want in dem walls mon. Irie.

Just take the ratio of all .40 ag halves to all others in circulation. Multiply that ratio by 1/160 (the odds of a double ender, 1/40X1/40)

Those are your odds.

Welcome!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:15 pm

Been to Ja a couple times myself, the last time (before 9-11) I tried to burn all the ganja fields myself. After 9 days I gave up and came home.

I brought back magnolia and hybiscus cuttings that have grown into beautiful indoor plans that bloom awsome flowers.

They have been in my offive for more than 10 years.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

Neil, I'm not in Texas, Minnesota actually. Took me a bit to figure out where you got Texas from. It must be my user name, TXSTARFIRE. One of my other hobbies is vintage snowmobiles. The STARFIRE is the factory racer that Polaris Industries built in 1972 and 1973. Check out vintagesleds.com for more info. Vacation was spent in northern Minnesota just south of Lake Itasca State Park. I picked up the rolls of halfs at two banks in Park Rapids. Vacation was great. Its been really hot and nasty in Minnesota lately but not 112 degrees!

Tom T.
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:02 pm

TXSTARFIRE wrote:Thanks for the welcome.

Neil, I'm not in Texas, Minnesota actually. Took me a bit to figure out where you got Texas from. It must be my user name, TXSTARFIRE. One of my other hobbies is vintage snowmobiles. The STARFIRE is the factory racer that Polaris Industries built in 1972 and 1973. Check out vintagesleds.com for more info. Vacation was spent in northern Minnesota just south of Lake Itasca State Park. I picked up the rolls of halfs at two banks in Park Rapids. Vacation was great. Its been really hot and nasty in Minnesota lately but not 112 degrees!

Tom T.

:lol: :lol:

I thought you were from Texas too. But holy buckets! We we're wrong, you betcha.

That's OK we need more in the northern contigent.

How's the fishin up there?
Thogey

Postby aristobolus » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Welcome! I envy your summers in MN, much like my boyhood veranos en Estado de Michigan.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals