inflation rate over the last 50 years

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

inflation rate over the last 50 years

Postby ardorlan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:15 am

Like allot of "facts" these days, The "True" Inflation rate seems to be highly debatable.

What do you think the real inflation rate in the US has been over the last 50 years?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Re: inflation rate over the last 50 years

Postby Slaphot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:04 am

Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ardorlan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:21 am

I can easily see it being allot more then that.
Take the 1964 US Silver Coin, 1961 + 50 years = 2011, you see a price increase of 2803.14% or 4 times the number given from the inflation calculator.

I think the main reason for this is that the CPI is does not take into account quality to some extend,
I would like to point out, that I have done no research and am talking out of my ass.
But if the CPI measures lets say the average "silverware", over time this has changed, Maybe Silverware used to be silver? and now its cheaper metals.

so the goods in the CPI are of less value as what is average changes. As as technology increase Craftmanship/Art decreases, human craftmen are replace with machines and cost of goods goes down.

Like a 1920 Oak chair compared to a 2010 Oak Chair. They just don't make things like they used to and the CPI does not take this into account?.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Slaphot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:16 pm

You are right CPI is a joke. The calculator uses the goberment's take on inflation. I found some prices from 50 years ago.

1961 prices
Gallon of gas = .31 (1222% increase)
Postage stamp = .04 (1100%)
Median home = 17,200 (907% )
Gallon Milk = .49 (714%)
Dozens Eggs = .57 (335%)

I would love to fill up my tank for less than 4 bucks! 8-)
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Slaphot » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:24 pm

I found a couple more...

The average Dow price for 1961 was 672. Today's price is 11,480 that is an increase of 1,708%.

Now here is where it gets scary The federal debt in 1961 was 292.6 Billion.
2011 (14.3 Trillion) = 4,887% increase
2013 (16.7 Trillion) = 5,707% increase!!!!!
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ardorlan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:39 pm

14.3 Trillion isn't so bad once you adjust for inflation that is *grin*
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:42 pm

It takes 14 1961 dimes to equal one ozt of silver, therefore, I will say you could buy silver at $1.40 an ozt in 1961.

Today it is $38.16 as I write this.

$38.16 / 1.40 = 27.25 or 2,725% inflation rate on silver
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Slaphot wrote:You are right CPI is a joke. The calculator uses the goberment's take on inflation. I found some prices from 50 years ago.

1961 prices
Gallon of gas = .31 (1222% increase)
Postage stamp = .04 (1100%)
Median home = 17,200 (907% )
Gallon Milk = .49 (714%)
Dozens Eggs = .57 (335%)

I would love to fill up my tank for less than 4 bucks! 8-)

There was a "gas war" in my home town in 1971. You could buy gas at 9 cents per gallon at it's peak. I had just started driving in 1971, and I loved it!!! :D

You could take your girl on a date with a ten dollar bill. Eat pizza, go to a movie, then go to a small bar for beer and dancing and come home with change in your pocket!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:You could take your girl on a date with a ten dollar bill. Eat pizza, go to a movie, then go to a small bar for beer and dancing and come home with change in your pocket!

You can still do that. You buy a frozen pizza, nuke it, share one slice. Go to Red Box, rent a movie about people drinking beer and dancing. There you have it. Nothings really changed. :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ardorlan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:03 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:You could take your girl on a date with a ten dollar bill. Eat pizza, go to a movie, then go to a small bar for beer and dancing and come home with change in your pocket!

You can still do that. You buy a frozen pizza, nuke it, share one slice. Go to Red Box, rent a movie about people drinking beer and dancing. There you have it. Nothings really changed. :lol:

she better be ugly otherwise your not getting a 2nd date
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Well that depends. Doc is from west virginia, so he was either going out with his sister or his cousin
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Corsair » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 pm

slickeast wrote:Well that depends. Doc is from west virginia, so he was either going out with his sister or his cousin

Or both. He's a playa.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:54 pm

beauanderos wrote:

:lol: :mrgreen: 8-)
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:26 pm

beauanderos wrote:

:lol: :lol: Hey! I don't remember.... are you single? If so, I understand why! :mrgreen: :lol:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:09 pm

ardorlan wrote:Like allot of "facts" these days, The "True" Inflation rate seems to be highly debatable.

What do you think the real inflation rate in the US has been over the last 50 years?

It varies a lot by item, but as one who has experienced that entire period the overall factor I use for comparison (confirmed by historic car research from that period) with the late 60s is a factor of 7. It is probably 8-9 if you take that further back to the early 60s. 5-6 if you move forward into the mid-70s.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals