i got them!! My "brown" Ikes---proofs

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

i got them!! My "brown" Ikes---proofs

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:42 pm

i've developed this burning desire to buy rolls of "brown" (proof) and "blue" (uncirc's) Ike dollars. I love the coin, coz i loved the President and general, also coz its a third an ounce, and i like fractionals...a LOT.
But since 40%'ers in IKE's were only sold as Mint issued commenrative singles, rolls are few and far between...but they're there, and i stumbled across a three lot item on Ebay..all proofs, 19, 15 and 28 coin lots...saw it right on listing, jumped the bid high...this was when we were just cresting the 40$ mark, so i bid 10% above melt..and waited...i noticed some guys with thousand star ratings, wondering if it was part of our crew?.....i kept nudging my bid up a titch...and this morning, i got them, and the AMAZING thing is this, even with the phony baloney "spot" price of 38.32, i only paid maybe $50 above melt for all of them, and the shipping was free....62 proof Brown Ikes, 19.6 toz.

i know most of ya'll sort, i dont have the patience...OR the banks considering i live in the weeds, but to me, this is the same when ya'll hit a rich box. I'm that excited....i dont have them yet, and i cant figure out those digit cameras...so.....

Ahh, Mister President...Ike...we miss ya...we really need you now..more than ever.

ps...serious...was any of ya'll in there bidding, because i did notice bidders with multiple thousand ratings, and those bidders can only come from.......REALCENT!!! lol...fess up!
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: i got them!! My "brown" Ikes---proofs

Postby Morsecode » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Not I.

Good score. 8-)
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:38 am

While I wasn't on the Bay bidding you up, I'm a huge fan of the silver Ikes.

I really like the looks of these coins. While I haven't made any recent purchases, I grew my Ike Stash a couple years ago. This was following my plan of buying coins with intrisic value when no one else is interested in them. That's always worked well for me.

I managed to purchase a lot of these in excess of 200 coins. Most were the blue Ikes (predominantly 1971 S), but there were about 15 proofs tossed in the lot. Those with a heavy haze or toning were kept in a separate pile. I rolled those together and have them for bullion purposes should the need arise. The gems are also rolled and kept in my personal collection. At .3161 oz of silver each, the totals do add up fast.

Glad to see there are other like-minded folks interested in Dwight D dollars. I even like the clad varieties, but use them for more practical purposes such as poker games and mind games with young toll takers and restaurant servers.

Oh yes. I did the same thing with US modern commem silver dollars. That's done very well, too.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 am

Know Common Cents wrote:While I wasn't on the Bay bidding you up, I'm a huge fan of the silver Ikes.

I really like the looks of these coins. While I haven't made any recent purchases, I grew my Ike Stash a couple years ago. This was following my plan of buying coins with intrisic value when no one else is interested in them. That's always worked well for me.

I managed to purchase a lot of these in excess of 200 coins. Most were the blue Ikes (predominantly 1971 S), but there were about 15 proofs tossed in the lot. Those with a heavy haze or toning were kept in a separate pile. I rolled those together and have them for bullion purposes should the need arise. The gems are also rolled and kept in my personal collection. At .3161 oz of silver each, the totals do add up fast.

Glad to see there are other like-minded folks interested in Dwight D dollars. I even like the clad varieties, but use them for more practical purposes such as poker games and mind games with young toll takers and restaurant servers.

Oh yes. I did the same thing with US modern commem silver dollars. That's done very well, too.

thank you KCC, for the get back. I'm sure excited. as i said, in this last run up and the before that.."the almost $50"....guys were ignoring the B+B Silver Ikes, so you could hit the intrinsic value bid, and they'd leave you alone.

Plus i really liked the man and the President...i might be alone in this, but to me, Ike and JFK were a duo, i dont think we'll ever see the likes of again...one was Supreme Allied Commander, and at the same time the other was a Navy Lt in a 70 foot Elko PT Boat fighting the Japs, it cant get much better than that in shaping future Presidents.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals