Will Gold and Silver drop?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Will Gold and Silver drop?

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:04 pm

My thinking is that gold and silver will drop because the FRN will go up if it stays as a reserve currency and China is saying the FRN is the world reserve currency.

Here is my logic. I may be missing a bunch. Let me know what you all think.

The US lost its AAA rating, Pensions and other funds that said they will only hold AAA rated bonds and securities will be forced to sell US bonds and this will drive up FRNs because to sell you must buy FRN. Gold and Silver are priced in FRNs so if FRNs go up then gold and silver will go down.

I know FRNs should go down and gold and silver should go up but the opposite could happen if my reasoning is sound.

Im all ears... or eyes in this case.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Will Gold and Silver drop?

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:51 pm

I think it depends on what they do with FRNs after they sell. If they keep them in FRNs, maybe. But generally they will be looking for another investment class asset. I think gold will go up a modest amount (for now, tonight) while the market equilibrates. I think the Asian markets will go down a bit tonight, but may be volatile up and down. I think everyone is now holding their breath wating for the NYSE open. If there is a big sell-off, and TPTB don't keep it in control, then I think gold will go up big. Ironically, Treasuries may also go up (in demand, which means price goes down), as indecision and insecurity will cause to some to sell, while others see US bonds - even as a AA+ - as a safe haven. So bonds may actually go down in price as demand for them increases.

A lot of maybes above. Not much of it would be guesses I would bet much on. I'm in cash and PMs only, and staying there (moving in and out a bit as may make sense on a given day) until this shakes out a lot more.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:43 pm

"Eventually", and that's a slippery word, the FRNs will lose most of it's value against everything. FRNs are fiat money, "faith and credence", and one party came into power with the support of people who are actively destroying the faith and credence anyone on the planet can have in the US and the other party is rationalizing going along with it for short term profit, year by year, again and again.

Eventually the bill is going to come due.

"Short term" as in the next month or so? My opinion: 75% chance the FRN loses half it's value over the next four weeks.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm

75% chance the FRN loses half it's value over the next four weeks.

Perhaps the scariest words I've read on this site.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:49 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:

Yeah... no crap! :shock: Me too! If ever there were a statement that I WANTED to disagree with... but feared it may be truth!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby ardorlan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:52 am

Pennybug wrote:
OneBiteAtATime wrote:

Yeah... no crap! :shock: Me too! If ever there were a statement that I WANTED to disagree with... but feared it may be truth!

I think if silver and gold were going to drop they would have already done it.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:56 am

QE3 is being priced into Gold
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals